Thai driving now explained

seajae

My suggestion would be for you to let her drive during daylight hours with you in the left seat. Tell her she needs to complete 100 hours with you before she is allowed to drive alone. I would also recommend you take her to a go-cart track. There she can learn about line/looking ahead, anticipation, and skidding. Go when the track is wet so she understands slowing down for slippery conditions. A lot of fun as well. You should race with her. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't have an official instructor in mind. Just someone who knows how to drive, who knows what to expect from other drivers in Thailand, and who can teach this.

It seems family members, boyfriends, etc. are often not the best teachers - all over the world.

No matter where you are you learn from someone person or school. Example if a person is known to be a terrible driver and has lots of accidents, speed, drives drunk and general has no respect for people on the road would you learn from this person regardless of the location in the world.

My comments are such that in Thailand exclusively to the ops who started the topic you won't find a school, a Thai parent or family member who is going to teach it as the ops have been taught in the West.  The problem right now and stated recently in an article in the Bangkok Post that many of the problems in Thailand come from the teaching of the family and a member.

The factory of death comes at a very early age, I see it every day in my Thai neighborhood the schools that allow kids to ride motorbikes government allowance of this practice is what is producing the factory. They past on all the bad traits and when they are forced to actually get a license they actually think it is all going to change those habits.

The ops be better off training his daughter himself and let her continue at the school so she doesn't have to wait for the long Q to get a license.  You can't learn how to drive driving around in a circle that is for a monkey.  Half of learning to drive is mental which is non-existence here in Thailand!

Edited by thailand49

It is even worse as you not need o go to a driving school to try to get a driving license. And up off that, I have my self seen several people coming to the test, driving their "own" car, failed the test and drive back home again.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 9:12 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Actually, your daughter is over-qualified for driving compared with a great many Thai drivers who never saw a driving school from inside and just paid to get their licence - if they have one that is...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She could be employed as a instructor now. 

On 11/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you hire a private instructor?

Anybody who even looked at the traffic and driving "skills" here shouldn't be surprised about the useless driving license test.

Private instructors here are as useless as tits on a bull, if my experience is anything to go by. I went with my Thai GF and a private instructor on her second lesson. Wasn't teaching her to use the mirrors, wasn't teaching her to not ride the brake, or how to keep the correct distance in traffic. Incompetent. I told her not to hire him for another lesson, and took over teaching her myself. She's now a much better driver than many Thais.

On 11/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't trust the Thais hire a foreigner.

They will not listen to a farang. My wife had driving lessons (foreign order from a DLT inspector) because she did not want me to tell her when she was wrong, as I still tell her when she drives like a Thai. She is safe but still drives Thai style.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

They will not listen to a farang. My wife had driving lessons (foreign order from a DLT inspector) because she did not want me to tell her when she was wrong, as I still tell her when she drives like a Thai. She is safe but still drives Thai style.

Your wife won't listen to you? That doesn't sound good. Your last sentence is an oxymoron.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, seajae said:

looks like the driving schools are not going to be making any difference to thai drivers at all

Disagree anythings better than nothing and all new Thai driver should be made to use schools, before they get a DL IMO.

I took my Thai daughter out driving and she drives very well, she complain's of other Thai drivers now. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Anybody who even looked at the traffic and driving "skills" here shouldn't be surprised about the useless driving license test.

the key board warrior is back! what a stupid suggestion,where you find a private instructor?you must have to much beer all ready!

• Sad 1

On 11/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't trust the Thais hire a foreigner.

This is not about an official instructor. It's about someone who knows how to drive and, more important, who is able to teach other people how to do this with patience.

Personally I would try to find a good Thai driver. Because such a driver knows very likely how typical Thais drive.

Here is one example: a road with three lanes all going in the same direction with a left and right bend. If you follow the official rules you have to stay in your lane. If you drive like typical Thai you just drive straight ahead and ignore the lines. I think this is what new drivers should learn. They should learn what they can expect from other drivers and how to best manage such situations.

I.e. I drive in situation like that never in the middle lane to avoid trouble.

one more to smart farang who know everything!

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, no deal said:

the key board warrior is back! what a stupid suggestion,where you find a private instructor?you must have to much beer all ready!

"where you find a private instructor?" Ask people, put a notice somewhere, probably even on TV, use your imagination!

I guess that involves too much thinking for some people. Cheers

I have 3 driving licence one French,one from the usa,and 2 from Thailand scooter and car,i think I know a to drive but I am not perfect, no one is 100% a good driver,i be scare to teach someone how I drive,all driving achool are not bad where I live we have a very bad driving school and a really good driving school,the bad one is all way full of people of course they give you the licence just like that!

when a move to a other country i do the right thing,good visa,driving licence,that the right thing to do! and i follow the law even if the local don't really care...

nothing special whit that,now if anybody think i lie i am ready to post copie of my 3 driving licence and my us green card.

and just HOW is a "private instructor" qualified to teach people(especially Thais) how to drive?? Who says that such  a person can teach anyone to drive?

UPDATE, after 4 days of doing very little they sat her in front of a computer to read the road rules for the first time then immediately tested her, she now has her drivers licence after 4 days from knowing nothing about cars or the road. She was taken outside the enclosed driving area once, I have since taken her for a drive and she scared the crap out of me, over steered on corners, virtually stopped to turn left or right, drove so slow I could walk faster, had trouble staying on the right part of the road etc especially if there were curves/corners. It was explained to me that they are not allowed to drive on the roads without a licence so must get them first before anyone else(apart from driving schools) can take them on the roads to get experience, she is a learner driver at best with a full licence, very scary. I will be taking her many more times before she will be able to get her own car or drive by herself, the driving schools are a joke, they do as little as possible to get paid and produce very under qualified drivers, I doubt anyone fails probably due once again to face. This really does explain the state of drivers in Thailand and the high amount of road deaths, after a week she has no idea of the road rules, also explains a lot

Edited by seajae

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

and just HOW is a "private instructor" qualified to teach people(especially Thais) how to drive?? Who says that such  a person can teach anyone to drive?

Which part is this so difficult to understand?

This is not about learning to get a driving license. This is about learning to drive and survive on the Thai roads.

The instructor does not have an official certificate calling him instructor.

The instructor should just be a person who should have lots of experience on Thai roads driving accident free. Lots of older taxi drivers have lots of experience - just one example. If that is combined with the skill how to teach someone with patience then you have your instructor.

It's like learning computers or cooking and lots of other skills. Learn from someone who know what he is doing. It does not matter if that person has a certificate or not as long as he does a good job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

UPDATE, after 4 days of doing very little they sat her in front of a computer to read the road rules for the first time then immediately tested her, she now has her drivers licence after 4 days from knowing nothing about cars or the road. She was taken outside the enclosed driving area once, I have since taken her for a drive and she scared the crap out of me, over steered on corners, virtually stopped to turn left or right, drove so slow I could walk faster, had trouble staying on the right part of the road etc especially if there were curves/corners. It was explained to me that they are not allowed to drive on the roads without a licence so must get them first before anyone else(apart from driving schools) can take them on the roads to get experience, she is a learner driver at best with a full licence, very scary. I will be taking her many more times before she will be able to get her own car or drive by herself, the driving schools are a joke, they do as little as possible to get paid and produce very under qualified drivers, I doubt anyone fails probably due once again to face. This really does explain the state of drivers in Thailand and the high amount of road deaths, after a week she has no idea of the road rules, also explains a lot

Be careful that she does not get more nervous because you sit next to her.

I think for experienced drivers it's always difficult to stay cool when they drive with a beginner.

But for the beginner it's obviously also difficult if they know that they are observed and judged all the time.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My wife was tought by a driving school in Pattaya about 12 years ago,she did have a British provisional licence, and had lessons in the UK as well,some years ago she taught our son to drive, i must admit they are both quite good drivers ,but like me have seen how its done in the west,so do not drive "Thai style"

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife was tought by a driving school in Pattaya about 12 years ago,she did have a British provisional licence, and had lessons in the UK as well,some years ago she taught our son to drive, i must admit they are both quite good drivers ,but like me have seen how its done in the west,so do not drive "Thai style"

I think it's good to know Thai style.

Because if you drive here like in the west you will likely to have some accidents because you drive different than Thai style. Probably after the accidents you can say "but I was right, it was their mistake" - but you can say that obviously only if you survive.

When I arrived in Bangkok over 20 years ago I had lots of driving experience in "the west". And when I saw people driving here I was scared.

The I rode a lot on the back of motorcycle taxis for the next years. I learned the roads, the shortcuts but also the way people drive here. I learned what to expect. And that was a lot what I didn't expect with "west" experience.

A few years later I bought my first motorcycle in Bangkok. I am still alive without any major accident. My worst accident was a fall with less than 10km/h.

I think it's good to know Thai style.
Because if you drive here like in the west you will likely to have some accidents because you drive different than Thai style. Probably after the accidents you can say "but I was right, it was their mistake" - but you can say that obviously only if you survive.

When I arrived in Bangkok over 20 years ago I had lots of driving experience in "the west". And when I saw people driving here I was scared.
The I rode a lot on the back of motorcycle taxis for the next years. I learned the roads, the shortcuts but also the way people drive here. I learned what to expect. And that was a lot what I didn't expect with "west" experience.
A few years later I bought my first motorcycle in Bangkok. I am still alive without any major accident. My worst accident was a fall with less than 10km/h.
When i say Thai style i mean that they dont pull out of a sideroad when you are a few yards away from them ,or pull out without looking,cut across the road without signaling,or have the "me first" attitude. But drive with some consideration if not for others ,then for themselves,mind you the wifes car has been blessed and has the "markings" on the interior lining lol

• Like 1