Thai roads need central barriers to minimise impact of accidents: experts

webfact

28 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I am living this new sense of action that is being put forward on road safety, but lets see if any of it materialises. I don't think the powers that be like the title of 'Deadliest Roads 2018' 

'I don't think the powers that be like the title of 'Deadliest Roads 2018''.

But they're disinclined to do much about it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Having driven around most of Thailand, I find the condition of the roads not to be the problem but the mentality of road users that is the issue. Until they change the mindset of drivers, there will be no change, and that is an almost impossible challenge. Road barriers may help curtail head on accidents but it will also give something else to run into!

'... itwill also give something else to runinto!' More likely to take a run at. 

Such fascinating people! NEARLY ALL their issues with traffic and road deaths have been solved already in other countries across the globe. 

But the Thais are a STILL convinced their problems are uniquely Thai! 

As usual, they refuse to learn comprehensively from outside the Thailand frog pond. 

• Like 2

I'm completely against this idea, with barriers in place Thai drivers wouldn't be able to make U turns anywhere they want. That is a contradiction of the Thai edict that every Thai must follow his own path. Try to imagine the agony of a nation that can't make U turns on busy freeways and blind curves. Is nothing sacred?    ????

Anyone notice how much gardening happens on central reserves in thailand? only if they can just put concrete barriers, it would be safer and save so much more money. Not only that, the roads would be a bit wider too, and there won't be weekly traffic slow downs due to gardening on the road.

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

He's the guy that shoots people,rapes,steals,can't swim,is unusually rich,can't fix anything but charges you full cost,drunk and never worked a day in his life and apparently a bit of a liar.oh and travels all over the country causing chaos.his father is somchai senior and he has 7 children all named somchai junior but don't know where any of them are but mama somchai loves her dear little innocent boy.

This is LOS

Land of Somchais

God help us

Edited by MartinBangkok
Addition
  • Haha 1

Of course the roads here in Thailand needs barriers for sure, but above all no u-turns anymore, and last but not least, people who are following the rules, like many people in western countries.

Especially U-turns with the density of the traffic, nowadays are killing-turns.

• Like 1

Typical Thai suggestion. Spend lots of money on hugely overpriced barriers, lots of money sloshing around, lots of happy officials.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson once suggesting that the best way to improve driving standards would be to outlaw seat belts, airbags and anti lock brakes, and to make it a legal requirement for every steering wheel to have a 12” steel spike in the middle of it. I think that would work wonders.

• Like 1

Thai roads don't need central barriers which will be installed incompetently and therefore not do what they're supposed to do. Thai roads need better drivers. With proper licenses gained after proper training.

Save the money, apply existing laws and reform the corrupt and incompetent police so you can. Result: Thailand is no longer #1 for road deaths.

But the government doesn't have the brain power, all they understand is guns and stealing - they're Thais.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

Thai roads need central barriers to minimise impact of accidents: experts

I assume these "experts" are Thai experts; the same experts that masterminded Thailand getting to the top of the world road deaths network!

Yes!  I thought so!

****in pathetic!

A 'central barrier' like pictured by the OP  will cause a few tens of thousand more injures and multiple thousand deaths as the average aggressive Thai will not give way and would prefer to split their vehicle in two and kill everyone aboard rather than yield and millimeter to allow another car to merge safely.
Now this measure would help, but TIT.  I've come to the conclusion that Thai leaders actually want to cull their citizens through horrendous accidents.  The big-wigs don't drive themselves and are transported in multi-vehicle caravans with cops blocking the roads 5 kilometers in advance of a VIP motorcade - so why would they care?
index.jpeg.f50663bbb75a11ca0804e3f9b345bdd2.jpeg

Edited by CALSinCM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Sadly this reflects the extreme ignorance that exists about road safety - Thai roads are DREADFUL - poor construction design and maintenance lead to high speeds and remember it is also what happens AFTER the collision that is so important - there are no safety features on Thai roads to speak of

"poor construction design and maintenance lead to high speeds' - I want the drugs you're on, the only thing that leads to high speeds in maniac Thai's with their feet on the accelerator. 

"there are no safety features on Thai roads to speak of"

ROFL - this country has hundreds if not thousands of kilometers of dual carriageways with divided traffic. 

But hey - if you want to apologize for the way Thai's drive and want to blame the roads and not the people on them, good for you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Barriers would help, but the way forward is teach the crazy buggers to drive properly is the first step.

How many drivers here know the rules of the road?

Answer very few, how many drivers follow the rules of the road?

Answer........ NONE.

Common sense is more important than following rules Colin, especially in Thailand where most of the population sadly lack this, from the rice farmers to the highest politicians, and not only where road safety is concerned.

• Like 2