Dog gets smashed by car,but nobody cares about the damage to the car

Tweedle dee

Actually, if the dog of off it's property and roaming on a public road, and gets hit by a car, then the owner of the dog is responsible for reimbursing the car's owner for damages.

That's been affirmed by my wife and other Thais I know and we recently had a dog hit near our home and the driver was out looking for the owner to collect damages.  The dog was our neighbor's, it lived although it's pretty much a three legged dog nowadays (one big tough monster), and nobody in the vicinity told the owner of the car who owned the dog.  Mai ruu???  Drivers on our road drive wayyyy too fast through our village and we've had numerous animals killed 50 meters on both sides of our house.  Nobody here is sympathetic to the morons who drive too fast.  I'm surprised no villager or kid has been killed yet.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

This is what 1st-class insurance is for.

Hopefully it will also pay compensation to the dog owner.

They need to start fining the dog owners for letting them on the roads! I would not be a happy bunny having to use my first class insurance to cover some mangy dog let out to roam. At least give me the carcass to flog for a curry recipe.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I couldn't care less about the car. Sounds to me like another incident of totally incompetent driving.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dog runs in front of car on the highway and its the drivers fault?

He Always drive backwards or just 10kph so he can never hit a dog when it does that.

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Thai stray dogs are as holy as cows in India, so beware. You might be subject to death penalty in case you should hit one with your car.

One day in India a cow was pushing it's horns in the back of my gf...it happened in a shop.

I slapped the cow on the butt and told it to leave my wife alone while shopping...the owner of the shop told me to get out now....????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I couldn't care less about the car. Sounds to me like another incident of totally incompetent driving.

Sorted ! the black crows had a great nosh up and the maggots live to fly ... car mechanic gets a pay day...owner of dog gets another ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

They need to start fining the dog owners for letting them on the roads! I would not be a happy bunny having to use my first class insurance to cover some mangy dog let out to roam. At least give me the carcass to flog for a curry recipe.

You are right,according to Ann dog meat is now 1000baht a kilo!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

Actually, if the dog of off it's property and roaming on a public road, and gets hit by a car, then the owner of the dog is responsible for reimbursing the car's owner for damages.

That's been affirmed by my wife and other Thais I know and we recently had a dog hit near our home and the driver was out looking for the owner to collect damages.  The dog was our neighbor's, it lived although it's pretty much a three legged dog nowadays (one big tough monster), and nobody in the vicinity told the owner of the car who owned the dog.  Mai ruu???  Drivers on our road drive wayyyy too fast through our village and we've had numerous animals killed 50 meters on both sides of our house.  Nobody here is sympathetic to the morons who drive too fast.  I'm surprised no villager or kid has been killed yet.

Speed bumps would stop that.... we have plenty of those in our mooban after pleading for a lower speed fell on deaf ears. But all dogs were not let out without leash. Never seen a dog running around without owner around .

Edited by Ctkong

At the moment this is an issue i have with some folks here...not going down too well, farmers have dogs OK no licence no collars and left to wonder willy nilly around the towns and villages..today a local dog gets the chop on a near by highway..owner of pooch distressed and lots of bits of a modern car lying around..i asked if the owner of the car could be covered for such damage...i am now OFF the flavour of the month here...your shout !
Call the insurance company.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1st Class insurance would cover the damage to the car...  But who pays for the rental of a spare car while the damaged car is in the shop being repaired? 

(we still need to transport our son around and only do so in a car with an approved child seat).

Thus: Someone 'has' to be responsible and if dog owners are leaving their dogs to freely run around then they are the ones who have to be responsible for the damage their dogs cause when running out into the road. They should perhaps also be charged for not securing their animal 

Strays are a different issue and realistically it is the local governments responsibility to resolve this issue. They don't then they should be responsible for any associated costs when strays cause damage - of course pigs will fly.

• Thanks 1

As far as I am concerned , first class insurance is to protect me if I am at fault in an accident.

Not to fix my car if somebody else causes the damage .  As previously posted , you lose your no claims bonus for somebody else doing wrong.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

1st Class insurance would cover the damage to the car...  But who pays for the rental of a spare car while the damaged car is in the shop being repaired? 

(we still need to transport our son around and only do so in a car with an approved child seat).

Thus: Someone 'has' to be responsible and if dog owners are leaving their dogs to freely run around then they are the ones who have to be responsible for the damage their dogs cause when running out into the road. They should perhaps also be charged for not securing their animal 

Strays are a different issue and realistically it is the local governments responsibility to resolve this issue. They don't then they should be responsible for any associated costs when strays cause damage - of course pigs will fly.

And cow owners too...????

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Problem will be that after an accident any dog will be a stray dog.

Taking part in traffic always incurs a financial risk, that's just the way it is.