Same scams, same corrupt police, same Phuket

logbags

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

I realize i am about to become the most hated person on this thread BUT.

1. Your friend is liable for bike to be returned, even just to get security deposit

2. You have no idea if police looked or did not look or what they did or did not do

3. From your update and i quote "My friend had booked her Hotel in Kata for 6 nights but he said it was nothing like the images online and told the woman this. He stayed a couple of nights and said he was going back to Patong as it was a better Hotel."

Does sound like your friend is a d...k. I have no doubt in my mind he was one and how he approached it.

If your friend was all that bothered, he could have checked out, could have taken pics of the actual room and send it to the company where he booked to show the difference and ask for refund, if he booked direct, and paid with credit card, he could have sent pics to the bank and file for chargeback.

But instead he chose to belittle the owner and tell her how there are better hotels and how bad hers is. To make matters worse, he already was unsatisfied, so he goes ahead and rents an old bike from her?

Let me guess, her bikes were 50 baht cheaper than any other place?

4. You now accuse owner being a scammer, yet have no evidence to support this claim

5. You claim bike was returned but hidden, which is again, nothing but a speculation cocked up by you and your friend

You then go on beating your self in the chest like king kong claiming it is not over and you are someone in the position of power to "teach" them a lesson. Which i personally find ironic lots of talk and no action

You then go on belittling the owner of the hotel more, by saying she would be selling somtam by the time you finish with her, i would say it would be you who would be crying on a new thread.

But if to accept your rants and indications of owner involvement, has it crossed your mind, she may be better connected than you are? or may well be by far more well off than you are?

Well here is a piece of advice for you, do not beat your chest too hard or your friend may end up in the cells and banned for life. All owner has to do is file official report of theft by your friend and for police to file charges. Next step would be court, where he would be fined for theft, because he had already repaid, he would not be jailed, but thrown out and blacklisted.

What did your friend do wrong? he gave something which did not belong to him to someone else without owners permission. He had rental agreement with the owner, not someone else, nor was bike to be ridden or given to anyone else.

And further to what BestB has said here, it is yobo's like you that have a big mouth but small brain that goes around threatening people with violence about your gang where you live and ringing Australia for more yobo's that give Australia a bad name so why don't you and you friend get on the first plane out of here and go back to you pub in Australia. Your type are not wanted here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

.......in addition.

To logbags.

Your most basic mistake was to hold up your own society's morals, priorities, etc, and expect that the people of this country have those same values, morals and priorities. They don't, and that makes you angry, which is another no-no to add to the many other boo-boos. If you've been here for all those years and haven't learnt these things, yet, then, you're a lost cause.

Too many suffer from superiority and entitlement issues. They seem to think they are entitled to a lot more all the time. They seek out cheapest but then demand and expect best and should it not go their way, they spit the dummy and lash out at everyone and anyone without stopping to think even for a second of their own actions.

I wonder if i came into OP's house and belittled him, would he then make me a cup of coffee?

Would not surprise me if it was 500-600 baht room which was not up to his standards.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:50 PM, logbags said:

At least where I live now they never bother me. They see me working out and see I'm clean living so leave me be. Never say much, just play the grey man and keep a low profile. Everyone knows me as that farang guy who works out at the park.

Mmm...

Sho' nuff respected in da hood.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I realize i am about to become the most hated person on this thread BUT.

1. Your friend is liable for bike to be returned, even just to get security deposit

2. You have no idea if police looked or did not look or what they did or did not do

3. From your update and i quote "My friend had booked her Hotel in Kata for 6 nights but he said it was nothing like the images online and told the woman this. He stayed a couple of nights and said he was going back to Patong as it was a better Hotel."

Does sound like your friend is a d...k. I have no doubt in my mind he was one and how he approached it.

If your friend was all that bothered, he could have checked out, could have taken pics of the actual room and send it to the company where he booked to show the difference and ask for refund, if he booked direct, and paid with credit card, he could have sent pics to the bank and file for chargeback.

But instead he chose to belittle the owner and tell her how there are better hotels and how bad hers is. To make matters worse, he already was unsatisfied, so he goes ahead and rents an old bike from her?

Let me guess, her bikes were 50 baht cheaper than any other place?

4. You now accuse owner being a scammer, yet have no evidence to support this claim

5. You claim bike was returned but hidden, which is again, nothing but a speculation cocked up by you and your friend

You then go on beating your self in the chest like king kong claiming it is not over and you are someone in the position of power to "teach" them a lesson. Which i personally find ironic lots of talk and no action

You then go on belittling the owner of the hotel more, by saying she would be selling somtam by the time you finish with her, i would say it would be you who would be crying on a new thread.

But if to accept your rants and indications of owner involvement, has it crossed your mind, she may be better connected than you are? or may well be by far more well off than you are?

Well here is a piece of advice for you, do not beat your chest too hard or your friend may end up in the cells and banned for life. All owner has to do is file official report of theft by your friend and for police to file charges. Next step would be court, where he would be fined for theft, because he had already repaid, he would not be jailed, but thrown out and blacklisted.

What did your friend do wrong? he gave something which did not belong to him to someone else without owners permission. He had rental agreement with the owner, not someone else, nor was bike to be ridden or given to anyone else.

Let's not forget the initial mention of not shaming and naming, only to shame and name latter on. I can see an ugly liability lawsuit in the brewing here. Good thing the OP knows Thailand and how things works here though, I'm sure that will be very helpful when taken to court.

I'm also happy to learn that the OP's friend has been taught well by such a knowledgeable person. That's gonna be of huge help to his friend, whom I am pretty sure is this guy:

https://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/LsvRPwWtF6j892XQEGskVe3g/37892DWM8fvbrEu6lBTpvk7Q/AD9W9wItDA6ICzAMDU0Ihw

It's a shame how class acts like that are treated this way in this country.

Edited by bergan
Added punchline

19 minutes ago, bergan said:

Let's not forget the initial mention of not shaming and naming, only to shame and name latter on. I can see an ugly liability lawsuit in the brewing here. Good thing the OP knows Thailand and how things works here though, I'm sure that will be very helpful when taken to court.

I'm also happy to learn that the OP's friend has been taught well by such a knowledgeable person. That's gonna be of huge help to his friend, whom I am pretty sure is this guy:

https://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/LsvRPwWtF6j892XQEGskVe3g/37892DWM8fvbrEu6lBTpvk7Q/AD9W9wItDA6ICzAMDU0Ihw

It's a shame how class acts like that are treated this way in this country.

Na, that bloke is a Brit, unfortunately this clown is an Australian that should be sent back there and never be allowed to leave again.

10 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Na, that bloke is a Brit, unfortunately this clown is an Australian that should be sent back there and never be allowed to leave again.

I was only playing around, I know that wasn't the guy the OP is talking about. Put your irony glasses on and read my post over again.

Edited by bergan
Clarification

All I did is try to stand with a mate who was scammed but all it does is bring out all the "Som nom na" types who are so smart, such locals, it could never happen to them. If a few more people kicked up a stink, maybe things could change. Old Croc has said he has got to the stage he trusts nobody- Thai or Farang. Great way to live, great place to stay?

My friend accepts he was wrong not to take the bike back. How does that excuse the person who then claimed the bike was stolen? How does that add up to 67.000 baht? Oh "som nom naa" that's it.

Not that anybody gives a <deleted> but the hotel owner has already contacted me about this. I'm not going to waste my time explaining what is happening. Can some moderator please delete this thread. Waste of time warning people. They're all experts on everything already here.

Just remember this, one day your time will come, you'll be scammed, injured or caught up in something like an accident. Then when people say "som nom naa" let's see how you respond. You might be grateful someone like me is there to help. Doubt it though..........

I didn't even post the thread here. So please just delete it. Only on Thai Visa can a police corruption story turn into me being a steroid abusing, muscle headed bogan compared to some limey chav. I don't even drink.  ???? I've been turned into the bad guy after using a few strong words whilst upset.

• Haha 2

#Let's not forget the initial mention of not shaming and naming, only to shame and name latter on. I can see an ugly liability lawsuit in the brewing here. Good thing the OP knows Thailand and how things works here though, I'm sure that will be very helpful when taken to court.

Settle down chicken little. The real hotel owner has already contacted me. Could be the staff moonlighting. I've been through the 3 courts over a property dispute on Phuket. Took on some Phuket town Chinese and won after they tried every trick in the book. If you back down every time a Thai threatens you on Phuket you'll last 5 minutes there. Nobody wants to go to court over a motorbike.

• Like 1

Lots of good points on both sides here from my viewpoint.   

I agree that if more of your old timers had stood up for some of the scams in Thailand it would be better today.   The stink would have changed the direction if things it St least decreased the tourist load that is now.   Even refusing  a taxi  of the driver did not use the meter over past 20 years would have caused a change.  Little things can make a difference.    I will never let a cabby take me.   I may be on CCTV with a machete to the head someday.  Man do they get pissed when you video them and get in their face and photo their cab ID.  While telling them your going to report to tourist police.   

A mistake  was made not  having the guy getting a picture of the return paperwork. Maybe it was wrong to let him return it.  Did it deserve a faked theft and police help with no charges or court case? No.   

Was the threat against the future some Tom seller justified? No but I can understand his anger.   He would be stupid to post a threat in public then follow through so I saw it as just anger.     With all this crap that everyone admits is common I've decided Vietnam gets my next trips.  Starting in 4 days. <deleted> Thailand.   The Chinese are smart and I'm glad they are acting like it.   the land of rabies and denge and dense minds.    But I admit Utah just recently had it's first rabies death in 67 years.   A family who had bats in their house and played with them.  The husband died that horrible death.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Also, it's mystifying why he felt the need to talk about haircuts, his workouts in the park and sitting on the beach with "Pure Pam"  !!!

If you think that part is mystifying you maybe should think a little out of the box, just as the writer did.

My usual advice is to take photo's of anything you are about to rent and then upon return take photos again 

proves return of bike, car etc and condition before and after, prevents false claims of damage. If someone else

returns it get them to take photos of return. I even take photos of any damage in a hotel room and report it to reception

and get reception to make a written note of any damage in the room. Even check the mattress in cheap hotels

I know a few people in the past that have been charged for a stained mattress. 

I will not be spending my holidays anywhere near 'sewer' Phuket. And, I'm going to tell my mate Ron about the place and its dastardly scams. in case he ever thinks about visiting the area, I'll get him to read all the posts; which I have just done. And also to inform his elderly mother, and her mates, who fancied a bit of sun and jet-skiing.

Up here in Isaan the scams are generated by the farang families-in-law. And plenty of unexplained deaths are on record to show what happens to farangs who get a little above themselves or get stroppy with the in-laws.

Who can you turn to when you need help and support? The police (only jesting guys), no, not Thailand's finest, but TVForum.

Have we made the OP (Logbags) feel supported, or saddened?

Anyhow, I am somewhat informed and enlightened by the thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, andygrr said:

My usual advice is to take photo's of anything you are about to rent and then upon return take photos again 

proves return of bike, car etc and condition before and after, prevents false claims of damage. If someone else

returns it get them to take photos of return. I even take photos of any damage in a hotel room and report it to reception

and get reception to make a written note of any damage in the room. Even check the mattress in cheap hotels

I know a few people in the past that have been charged for a stained mattress. 

No doubt there are many scams on Phuket.  They don't call it "Pirate Island" for nothing.

However, documenting your every move, which I do not disagree with, does not make for a pleasant holiday experience. 

There are many other holiday destinations in the region where a tourist can have pleasant interactions with the local people, whether in passing, or during a financial transaction.  Not so on Phuket, where there are scams perpetrated by individuals, and state sanctioned scams. Eg. transport.

Over the years, how many western tourists have scammed here????  Eg. tuk-tuks, jet skis, bar bill, fictitious damage, over charging, changing the price, by the police etc etc etc etc.  Little wonder western visitors are not returning here.

The Thai's took a quick baht and wrecked many tourist's holidays along the way, and now they have the consequences of their actions, the Chinese.

The Chinese may be getting scammed, but not to the extent westerners were, and it's by other Chinese, so the scam money ends up in China, not in the hands of Thai. I suppose you could call them "zero Thai scam tourists."  ????

Phuket will be a case study in the future for how not to administer a tourism industry.  Eg. Nokia. 

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Parsve said:

If you think that part is mystifying you maybe should think a little out of the box, just as the writer did.

I suppose you picked up on his cryptic clue immediately, or are you just another genius after the fact? 

If I had ever heard of that hotel I might have got it, but it was far too cryptic for me initially. 

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

Well, now that you and your mate Ron will not go to Phuket, they will really struggle over there. May need to form a committee on how to bring you and Ron back????????????

Very droll BestB.  But!!! I can see the sense in what you say.

However, I'm sure that Ron will not now visit (or his mother, or her friends) and definitely not me.

I'm not suggesting that our absence alone will make a huge difference to the area's prosperity, but we have friends and family and if they don't go, and tell their friends and family not to go,,,,. You can see where i'm going on this BestB.

Actually, my grandson's girlfriend is a bit of a wizard on the old facebook and has lots of followers, including a Chinese girl called Shu.

It is important to consider that a butterfly flapping its wings in Naples can cause a tornado in Phuket.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Very droll BestB.  But!!! I can see the sense in what you say.

However, I'm sure that Ron will not now visit (or his mother, or her friends) and definitely not me. I'm not suggesting that our absence alone will make a huge difference to the area's prosperity, but we have friends and family and if they don't go and tell there friends and family not to go,,,,. You can see where i'm going on this BestB. Actually, my grandson's girlfriend is a bit of a wizard on the old facebook and has lots of followers, including a Chinese girl called Shu.

It is important to consider that a butterfly flapping its wings in Naples can cause a tornado in Phuket.

I believe committee is being set up as we speak as this is a very serious problem Phuket will be facing. 

Lets see, hundreds of media articles with little more readers and followers than Ron and his mother or your granddaughter and her Facebook page and people still go but I am sure you and Ron will make a noticeable dent ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I will not be spending my holidays anywhere near 'sewer' Phuket. And, I'm going to tell my mate Ron about the place and its dastardly scams. in case he ever thinks about visiting the area, I'll get him to read all the posts; which I have just done. And also to inform his elderly mother, and her mates, who fancied a bit of sun and jet-skiing.

Up here in Isaan the scams are generated by the farang families-in-law. And plenty of unexplained deaths are on record to show what happens to farangs who get a little above themselves or get stroppy with the in-laws.

Who can you turn to when you need help and support? The police (only jesting guys), no, not Thailand's finest, but TVForum.

Have we made the OP (Logbags) feel supported, or saddened?

Anyhow, I am somewhat informed and enlightened by the thread.

wow, am sure that the 2 of ya not coming to phuket will be devastating to the local economy

take ur business elsewhere, who gives a <deleted>...

This was not a scam, this was stupidity on the op's friends part and a thai taking advantage of it
thai police dont do anything unless their is $$ in it for them...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BestB said:

Lets see, hundreds of media articles with little more readers and followers than Ron and his mother or your granddaughter and her Facebook page and people still go but I am sure you and Ron will make a noticeable dent ????

To quote Barack Obama; "they don't get it".

Look, BestB, I feel in my water that you are concerned.

40 minutes ago, BestB said:

I believe committee is being set up as we speak as this is a very serious problem Phuket will be facing. 

But look what happened in the recent TVForum topic '7 eleven rant' when the actions by a poster caused UK's 7-11 share price to drop. 

Always remember the power is the people. We can defeat these scams and these corrupt regimes. Don't be afraid; "rise up" i tell you. Don't despair.

Also, Shu, the grandson's girlfriend's Chinese facebook friend. Has potentially a couple of billion followers.

Edited by owl sees all

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

wow, am sure that the 2 of ya not coming to phuket will be devastating to the local economy

take ur business elsewhere, who gives a F#@k...

This was not a scam, this was stupidity on the op's friends part and a thai taking advantage of it
thai police dont do anything unless their is $$ in it for them...

Bingo, most enlightened post on the thread.