FYI - U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai town hall meeting November 20th Chiang Mai University

41 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Not correct- a 1099 is sent  by  Social Security and  other entities showing exactly how much one is paid. You do not fill out a 1099- it is an official  document from an income source. The 1040 Form is what you report your taxes on and then submit your 1099 ALONG WITH YOUR 1040.

Very easy to read- get one every year.  Very easy for the IO to understand and read.

Sorry it was my mistake. Morning hangover. Well, 1099 can also be faked. I created my own 1009-MISC to send to freelancers who I have paid to when I had a business. I could create one for myself and not report to IRS. It is created by businesses (or Government entities) whenever a payment to a person exceeds 600 USD in a year

Edited by onera1961

20 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Sorry it was my mistake. Morning hangover. Well, 1099 can also be faked. I created my own 1009-MISC to send to freelancers who I have paid to when I had a business. I could create one for myself and not report to IRS.

You are correct... You can easily edit a document with the proper pdf program or you can convert to word & edit, but sometimes the format changes a little... Most of my 1099s come electronically and not by mail, so they can be easily edited.

This entire situation is and will be the biggest SNAFU when the income letters are no longer accepted.

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The SSA-1099 I get in the mail in January every year would be very hard to fake. It comes as one of those tear off the ends and peel apart letters that is 2 sided and about 17 inches long. About the same for letter I get in December stating my benefits for next year that is 21 inches long.

The requirement is income not SS income. I can get all my income from 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC. There are more than a dozen 1099. Even 1099-G (Government 1099) can be faked. You can create your own 1099-MISC for TI and not report to IRS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

So then Thai IMM would to have a procedure for when the 1099 or SSA monthly distribution is less than 65K baht per month.

In the US, I don't know any income that is not reported in 1099, unless it is less than USD 600. Even most legitimate businesses report less than 600 on 1099 because reported amount can be used for business expense deduction. Of course, there are foreign incomes. If one is filing 1040, he must report world wide incomes (not necessarily pay tax on that).

Hubby used his 1099-SS and 1099-R from a private pension to back up his visa extension application in Chiang Mai on October 25.  They wanted to see both an Income Letter from the Consulate and back-up.  These two income streams are more than enough to get him over the 65,000 baht/month requirement.  No point in adding in the rest and confusing them with the 1099-DIVs, 1099-INTs and 1099-MISCs.  And yes, the 1099s were for the 2017 tax year and he was applying for his visa extension in October 2018. 

Fortunately, he didn't have to show evidence of where the income streams were deposited.  While his private pension is deposited in Bangkok Bank, it's in a joint account and his SS is deposited into a U.S. credit union account that just shows as being in my name, although he has signature authority.  We use that account as our primary U.S. account.  We were sweating about what would happen if they asked to see deposit records.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My suggestion is to keep proceeds out of the country in a "buffer" account, and use that acct to seed the Thai account at or above the minimum required monthly level.  In my case, that means not sending "too much too soon" to retain sufficient funds for "lean" months - so sending money to Thailand is delayed, not accelerated.  In the past, when my business did well, I'd send over a larger chunk, then draw it down over time - not anymore. 

This may not be enough, of course, given the income is not from a govt-source with some sort of letter - but it is the best I can do.  Hopefully a year of transfers - or several, if I continue using Non-O-ME Visas (married to a Thai) - will provide a track-record sufficient to satisfy a measly 1-year extension at some point in the future.  I could back this up with the associated university degrees and a CV, if they are worried the business could fail - proving I could easily take a Thai's tech-job here, if I was so inclined (I'm not, unless forced to do this by immigration as a last-resort).

That seems like a good idea, Jack - not keeping 800K tied up in a Thai bank account for three months, with no way to grow it. The problem now is that with the elimination of consulate income verification, it is already too late to show an entire year of 65K monthly income.

As you mentioned, I keep hearing that TI want to see some sort of monthly government pension income. TI really do need to establish guidance regarding income for those of us who have not yet reached pension age.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

I used mine at TI in Chiang Mai on Nov 3rd. It was accepted and my extension of stay was granted. 

So, your 1099 was accepted as backup proof to the income affidavit from the US embassy? Or, are you saying that you didn't need to submit the income affidavit and you ONLY submitted the 1099?

Edited by BertM

Form 1099 shows a lump sum, annualised income, correct? So TI would use an average that shows in excess of 65K/month since the 1099 does not show monthly income?

If that is the case, then apparently TI do accept a 12 month average of annualised income.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

Form 1099 shows a lump sum, annualised income, correct? So TI would use an average that shows in excess of 65K/month since the 1099 does not show monthly income?

If that is the case, then apparently TI do accept a 12 month average of annualised income.

Not so fast... he probably submitted the income affidavit and the 1099 as backup. I asked him to clarify...

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

The requirement is income not SS income. I can get all my income from 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC. There are more than a dozen 1099. Even 1099-G (Government 1099) can be faked. You can create your own 1099-MISC for TI and not report to IRS

Yep, crooks will always find a way. And sometimes their way causes good people to suffer the consequences. Nonetheless, for the vast majority, not being crooks a path will be found.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 7:48 AM, watgate said:

I sent a message to you and basically it said I am currently residing in Chiang Mai or else I would be onboard with you in Bangkok. I concur that what was done by the US Embassy and Consulate was despicable. They basically took the easy way out and left the US Expat community out to dry. There was no accountability of these firmly entrenched government bureaucrats and they took the easy way out. There are many serious issues and potentially devastating effects to many expats who are currently residing in Thailand. These issues must be addressed by the US Embassy and Consulate and not swept under the rug for folks who have to navigate these serious concerns  themselves with no clear guidance or input into this matter by the US Embassy and Consulate.

DC263AAF-44A5-46E1-A8C3-3A1713284859.jpeg

0B963602-06E2-4D1E-B62C-3048A0AD5D70.jpeg

D8D6F46E-CAF5-47E3-96AA-F9C6548A6D83.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Official 1099's cannot reproduced by tax software. Yes, a person could fake a 1099 using tax software but it is an unofficial document.  Legal 1099's have a standardized format and received in the mail. Tax Software 1099's are used as data input forms and printed for record keeping purposes. Of course, this entire discussion can be avoided if our Embassy would setup computers so we can login to our government accounts and print to embassy printers (as mentioned in an earlier post). The Embassy should have no issue with verification as the forms we print for them unequivocal, undeniable factual coming from SSI and IRS systems. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Does Immigration know that?

Of course they do since it is a pension and that is one the types of income mentioned in police order 138/2557 that are accepted.

Clause 2.18 for marriage.

"5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency."

Clause 2.22 for retirement.

"3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends;"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

for marriage.

All that was still with a income affidavit required from the respective Embassy. It is not certain that the Social Security statement will be necessary and sufficient as primary without a monthly bank deposit.

And I still say if you are married, that's your problem. (Yingluck my hero.)

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

Official 1099's cannot reproduced by tax software. Yes, a person could fake a 1099 using tax software

Not tax software. But Software, specifically accounting software. Just google "print your own 1099 MISC". You will also find online tools for creating  1099 MISC. You can fill them, print them up and send to freelancers (and file it with IRS. which one can skip). 

They are also available for downloading (from IRS website, pre internet days you could order in bulk from IRS not sure about now) and typing and mailing to freelancers. When I was running an affiliate marketing business with my own products (circa 2011), I printed and mailed them to all my affiliates.

• Like 1

I do not think the general tone of the discussion here is whether 1099 or social security documents will be accepted as secondary BACK-UP documents but many have suggested on this and other related topics that they would like to see such pension-related or even other documents as primary.

As for marriage, all I will say is This-Is-Thailand.

SS income will always be accepted. But most people supplement that with other types income. IRA, 401K, individual savings, Life insurance annuity, dividend, interest, business income, rentals, etc. If it is only SS income, they may as well increase the age to 62, instead of 50 for retirement visa/extension. And if someone is getting 65K baht SS income (single) at 62, they must have had very high wage exceeding SS cap in the preceding ten years.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

D8D6F46E-CAF5-47E3-96AA-F9C6548A6D83.jpeg

"We will continue to notarize income affidavit forms through the end of 2018. Thai Immigration Bureau officials confirmed to us that they will support early visa renewals for U.S. citizens during the transition period"

In theory someone could go in for renewal months in advance to fall within the 6 month window the income affidavit is (maybe) good for?

For example:
If you're due for renewal in September 2019 would you be able to do the renewal in June 2019?

5 minutes ago, ningnong said:

In theory someone could go in for renewal months in advance to fall within the 6 month window the income affidavit is (maybe) good for?

For example:
If you're due for renewal in September 2019 would you be able to do the renewal in June 2019?

Unless immigration makes a directive that will accept applications any earlier the 30 days or 45 day that is allowed I certainly would not plan on it being done.

Mine is due in August so I do not plan on getting an income affidavit at this time. I would have to be able to apply 60 days early to use it.

23 minutes ago, JimGant said:

And for those fearing sending money to Thailand..

I have now lived in Thailand for 15 years without ever having to make a bulk 800K baht deposit or pay for an Elite visa and, if I don't have to start now, then I am not going to start now.

I have already started the 65K+ FTT transfer just this month NOV and if the income route to extension of stay isn't clear I'll be in USA next JULY to go for an O-A.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1