Maximum about of money you can bring in to Thailand

A person I know recently brought in GBP10,000, about US$15,000. No declaration needed, the limit is US$20,000 - anything over that must be declared, but can still be brought in no problem.

What she did not know is that their is a limit on how much you can take out of Europe without declaring it, of 10,000 Euros, about GBP 7,500. The cash was pIcked up on x-ray and she was detained and questioned. Luckily she could prove the provenance of the money, but she could have been fined and/or the money confiscated! Also luckily she did not miss her connecting flight.

This link tells you all you need to know:-

https://carryonguy.com/customs-cash-limits/

Ok, so I will reiterate.

The current limit is USD 15,000 (without the need to declare).

Please refer to the post above from a moderator of this forum, and the following:

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

The Thai Customs website is not updated.

In the other post, the mod has also attached the current customs form in pdf format, which also confirms the 15,000 USD amount.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

On a slightly different but closely related topic.....does anyone know what is the maximum one is allowed to take out of Thailand without a declaration?

Same as per link by lkv above - 

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

Different amounts for Thai baht.

10 hours ago, miketu said:

Ok great $20,000, thanks to all for replying!

Just remember this is Thailand and different immigration, airport authorities, or whatever, just make up their own rules, and even different workers of the same authorities in the same office will give you different answers.

i transfer 100.000usd from usa to thailand to buy a house i ask my banker do i need to do anything because of the amount send he said no this is at my discretion...to declare or not , i have the contract of the house i was buying in case!

1 hour ago, no deal said:

i transfer 100.000usd from usa to thailand to buy a house i ask my banker do i need to do anything because of the amount send he said no this is at my discretion...to declare or not , i have the contract of the house i was buying in case!

the problem will come up if you ever have to take the money back out of Thailand and don't have the declaration of the money coming in.  Bringing it in is the easy part.