The week that was in Thailand news: Going up in smoke in Thailand - that's the only certainty!

rooster59

33 minutes ago, gamini said:

I am suffering from an incurable fatal lung disease thanks to second-hand smoke. It appals me that some inconsiderate posters on this forum criticised Thailands efforts to curb smoking. For people like me and many others I can only applaud the government's efforts.

But many people still smoke in bars and restaurants!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gamini said:

I am suffering from an incurable fatal lung disease thanks to second-hand smoke. It appals me that some inconsiderate posters on this forum criticised Thailands efforts to curb smoking. For people like me and many others I can only applaud the government's efforts.

world Not have any evidence second hand smoking have dancerous, have only idiot peoples speak, and smoke not have any come sick, i know peoples many many, who has smoke 14 yea to 90 year and no has newer any day sick, many old men have, same me i smoke ower 40 year and no newer has sick and no newer come cigarette to sick. this is only peoples who talk shit speaking cigarette have proplem and dancerous. big shit have.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, YetAnother said:

too many thais do not see it that way; they see us expats as very much unwanted aliens

I guess you missed that you and people of your ilk got an honorable mention at least three times in this week's less than memorable diatribe. Things are looking up!

20 hours ago, donnacha said:

I wish the forum would hire an editor to at least trim down these indulgent posts a bit. Aping the style of newspaper opinion pieces is all very well, but the saving grace of print is that there is limited space and, usually, an editor somewhere in the process who is aware that every sentence has to earn the reader's attention.

Even good writers benefit from being reigned in a bit. Whatever the wisdom of having an official column deride forum members (the people contributing content for free every day) in such superior, self-satisfied manner, this sort of opinion piece should never stray beyond the thousand word mark. 2,230 words of meandering commentary is lazy, disrespectful to the reader, and a poor reflection upon the ThaiVisa brand.

And nobody forced you read it, let alone copy and paste it into a third-party app so you could precisely quantify the rooster's verbiage either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, donnacha said:

I wish the forum would hire an editor to at least trim down these indulgent posts a bit. Aping the style of newspaper opinion pieces is all very well, but the saving grace of print is that there is limited space and, usually, an editor somewhere in the process who is aware that every sentence has to earn the reader's attention.

Even good writers benefit from being reigned in a bit. Whatever the wisdom of having an official column deride forum members (the people contributing content for free every day) in such superior, self-satisfied manner, this sort of opinion piece should never stray beyond the thousand word mark. 2,230 words of meandering commentary is lazy, disrespectful to the reader, and a poor reflection upon the ThaiVisa brand.

Don't read it if you don't like it, as simple as that. It is 1 of hundreds of posts every week, so what is YOUR issue? Minority complexes that it is not you who is allowed to write this column?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Don't read it if you don't like it, as simple as that. It is 1 of hundreds of posts every week, so what is YOUR issue? Minority complexes that it is not you who is allowed to write this column?

Strange..

Apparently if you criticize anything then you will be urged to desist big time and you will be responded to by hysterics who,sooner or later,will be shrieking in their usual discombobulated manner.

It would seem that having a contrary opinion is deadly dangerous in Shangri-La.

I see Rooster as a kind of Charles Blondin but I certainly wouldn't want to be on his back whilst crossing the Niagara which he does-off and on-every Sunday.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Gamini, how can you be so sure its second hand smoke, and not some other means of infection, there's too many other causes to consider. If your doctor said its smoking, then you can take that with a pinch of salt.

Grandfather died at 90 something, smoked, didn't die of cancer. Father in law died in his 60's from cancer of the liver and kidneys, maybe had a glass of wine or two once a month.

?????????

Genetics ???????

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Grandfather died at 90 something, smoked, didn't die of cancer. Father in law died in his 60's from cancer of the liver and kidneys, maybe had a glass of wine or two once a month.

?????????

Genetics ???????

So some 137 year old poster is now dying from second hand peat smoke?

'tis a strange world.

Did I ever tell you the Russian joke about Dmitri?

33 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess you missed that you and people of your ilk got an honorable mention at least three times in this week's less than memorable diatribe. Things are looking up!

And nobody forced you read it, let alone copy and paste it into a third-party app so you could precisely quantify the rooster's verbiage either.

Here's another one..

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

I recognize that this style has its fans and, obviously, we are free to try it once and avoid it thereafter. Would it not be better, however, if those same reflections on expat life were delivered in a tighter style that would result in a higher ratio of readers sticking around and becoming regulars?

If you do not like it do not read it and more importantly why waste your and our time with your own longwinded opinions. 

I am sure you could have produced a more readable precis by just saying "I don't really like reading a once a week summary of the weeks events by a person who has the ability, background and knowledge to entertain many, even though sadly some, including myself ("donnacha"), do not appreciate it.  

PS;  Rooster please ignore the gainsayers and stick with your highly entertaining and erudite weekly post.

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That no-one can be forced to read an online column is precisely why writers and editors work hard to make them attractive to a wider pool of readers.

I counted the words because my feedback that the column is too long would be meaningless without quantifying what "too long" is.

I don't use a third-party app, I simply select the text and a small pop-up tells me how many words there are. I am surprised that so many members here think that using the word count feature is onerous.

49 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Again, "don't read it" is not a good operating principle for any online publication.

It is a regular column, that is a flagship position in any publication, it should be much better and could be with just the slightest touch of editing.

I have no idea what "minority complexes" are, but did enjoy the movie Minority Report.

32 minutes ago, masuk said:

Before you say too much, please note the difference between 'reign' and 'rein".

Perhaps, before you pedantically correct another member's spelling, you could double-check to ensure that your correction is correct ????

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reign_in

• Like 1

Just now, scottiejohn said:

If you do not like it do not read it and more importantly why waste your and our time with your own longwinded opinions. 

I am sure you could have produced a more readable precis by just saying "I don't really like reading a once a week summary of the weeks events by a person who has the ability, background and knowledge to entertain many, even though sadly some, including myself ("donnacha"), do not appreciate it.  

PS;  Rooster please ignore the gainsayers and stick with your highly entertaining and erudite weekly post.

And another one..

Apparently posting a contrary opinion in Thailand is a dangerous thing to do.

Something to do with with the binary vision one develops at the bottom of a Leo,Chang and Singha bottle,I would expect..

Some of Rooster's posts I like..and others I don't like.The one from a few weeks back made the average 20-30 year expat resident in Thailand look like Wittgenstein-and that is really saying something..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THE REVERAND said:

Its AMAZING nearly every smoker I know wants to give away smoking. The cigarette companies keep assuring us SMOKING is not ADDICTIVE but for most smokers they cannot give it away. ADDICTIVE ???????

"give away smoking" Interesting! Like a take away but different?

16 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why would 'Rooster' ignore the naysayers? (note:Not gainsayers)

As an intelligent person and a columnist on a popular forum I am very sure that he appreciates the feedback.

Whether he appreciates his supporters screaming and shrieking and telling everyone else with a contrary opinion to pipe down is another matter entirely.

Tho' I don't think that it is at all likely.

• Like 1