Anyone NOT Using Income Letter & Using ONLY the Monthly Income Method?

Immigration in Tha Yang has indicated that they will accept income affidavits from the US/UK embassy for the remainder of this year but they do not have any idea what they will accept as proof of income beyond 2018. Anyone renewing a long term visa with income only should do it this year if possible.

The income requirement of 65K baht/mo income will probably not change but immigration at this time has no alternatives to the embassy affidavit. Immigration's lack of planning is no surprise but it will leave many expats dangling until a decision is forthcoming...

• Thanks 1

They want 800.000 into a Thai bank so that if you die intestate they will keep it or else pick up the interest as a "fee" for holding it. Your lawyers in the UK or US will take about two years to get it back for a nice fee, and the bank also gets a nice fee for the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, soleddy said:

They want 800.000 into a Thai bank so that if you die intestate they will keep it or else pick up the interest as a "fee" for holding it. Your lawyers in the UK or US will take about two years to get it back for a nice fee, and the bank also gets a nice fee for the transfer.

That's my issue. I've decided to bite the bullet and put the money in the bank, but want to know how to get it to my son when I pass.

10 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

It would be interesting to know what Immigration Office does that  without the Embassy letter.

I'm German, my immigration office is Jontiem. 

I have a bankbook from Bangkok Bank and some predictable PDFs from German pension funds. Nobody ever wanted to see these papers, I simply send a visa agent to Jontiem (300 THB fee)

16 minutes ago, soleddy said:

Who are "they"? Do "they' get to keep your money in the bank back in your home country ?

If you die without a will anywhere in the world the funds are subject to probate etc, its not a Thai conspiracy.

You could easily get around this Thai conspiracy by giving a friend access to your account in the event of your death. you could literally give them an ATM card.

Other than the 90 day seasoning , the 800k can be kept anywhere, even in a joint account with whoever inherits it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

My Immigration office doesn't have a problem with using just the monthly distribution. 

So, are you saying that you are using monthly method without income letter to do your 1-yr extension renewal? If so, what documents are you using to satisfy Immigration?

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I'm German, my immigration office is Jontiem. 

I have a bankbook from Bangkok Bank and some predictable PDFs from German pension funds. Nobody ever wanted to see these papers, I simply send a visa agent to Jontiem (300 THB fee)

So, are you saying you renew your yearly extension without an income letter from embassy? Only using your bankbook? I'm not talking about 90-day reporting. I'm asking about 1-yr extension.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, soleddy said:

Well the rule states that the 800k must be in the bank 3 months before application, my advice is to whip it out after the renewal is done.

37 minutes ago, soleddy said:

34 minutes ago, quandow said:

That's my issue. I've decided to bite the bullet and put the money in the bank, but want to know how to get it to my son when I pass.

1. You can make a Will.

2. You can have another 'authorised' person assigned to the account for the purpose of withdrawals.

Bangkok bank will issue 2 debits cards. The account remains in your sole name for Immigration purposes.

3. Sign up for online banking and give your 'beneficiary' the details.

If the bank is notified of your death before the funds are withdrawn, the account will be frozen, pending production of a Court order to release the funds. This is quick and straightforward if you select options 1 or 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far, no one has confirmed that they have actually ever used the monthly income method without the income letter. Just as I suspected, TI doesn't allow the monthly income method unless you provide the income letters. So, we may have to wait until July 2019 when the income letters are no longer valid to see what methods they will accept unless they make an official announcement before then. Anything else is just speculation, conjecture or hearsay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

So, are you saying that you are using monthly method without income letter? If so, how are you bringing money in?

These claims are usually made by people not familiar with the current income and embassy letter method, if its being done without an embassy letter it would be great to find out which office, what proof etc,  but a good chance Embassy letter is currently required.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

So, are you saying you renew your yearly extension without an income letter from embassy? Only using your bankbook? I'm not talking about 90-day reporting. I'm asking about 1-yr extension.

The guy admits to using an agent so thats a different ballgame, they can do with or with letter, with or without funds in the bank etc, again, a good chance Embassy letter required.

As you say, nobody has been able to give a first-hand account of income method without an embassy letter, safe to assume that currently all offices require an embassy letter.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Give your son an atm card and the pin number, put online banking on your sons phone and he can transfer the money at his leisure, write a will and send a copy to your son and your lawyer.

wont work,as soon as u die the thai police ask for all bank accounts,atm cards and your account is frozen,

after you die ur embassy will issue a letter stating ur dead and allowing the holder to withdraw your money..