Kerry Express

recom273

I've used them twice in Bangkok to ship envelopes to Canada. The first time was fine; it was there in 3 or 4 days. The second time, I became concerned, when after 52 hrs., my item had not even appeared in their tracking system. I returned to their office, and there was my envelope, on a rack next to the front counter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Their expansion I suspect is largely due to the increase in volume of internet sales from sites like Lazada and Shopee etc.

Kerry Express hasn't grown from a small start-up in Thailand to their current size. Rather they are an established courier service established in SE Asia. They seem to be pre-empting the Lazada/Shopee/other internet sales effect and are anticipating increased volumes but this company has appeared pretty quickly in Thailand and seem to be setting up branches in all small towns, something we noticed travelling from Ko Chan to Burriram recently.

As an aside, my son used them regularly and they have no problem delivering to the boondocks here in Ko Chan.

I can't understand how they can sustain such a growth.

Here in Pattaya they have literally a shop with 20 trucks in front on every corner, and one between every corner as well, a bit like 7/11.

Those trucks cost a lot of money, and the driver also has to be paid.

For sure they give the Thai post a run for it's money. My friend sent a small package from Pattaya to Bangkok, at a cost of 70 Baht, and it was delivered 5 hours later.

How do you pay such an expansion at those rates.

By the way, they don't do international shipping from Thailand, but they use DHL for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allane said:

I've used them twice in Bangkok to ship envelopes to Canada. The first time was fine; it was there in 3 or 4 days. The second time, I became concerned, when after 52 hrs., my item had not even appeared in their tracking system. I returned to their office, and there was my envelope, on a rack next to the front counter.

Hi Allane

How much was the Express Letter to Canada with Kerry Express?

I have a friend in Canada and send from time to time small items to him. Thailandpost to Canada can take ages to arrive. The problem is on the Canadian side. 
Simple letter takes 4 weeks to several month.

Canada Post Reveals Reason why mail processing is so slow

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Their expansion I suspect is largely due to the increase in volume of internet sales from sites like Lazada and Shopee etc.

I think you could be right, twice we have had stuff from Lazada and it has been delivered by Kerry Express, they have opened a depo near where I live, taken on 4 of those 3 story lockups that litter the landscape unused, owner of said lockup must be happy.

16 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I can't understand how they can sustain such a growth.

Here in Pattaya they have literally a shop with 20 trucks in front on every corner, and one between every corner as well, a bit like 7/11.

Those trucks cost a lot of money, and the driver also has to be paid.

For sure they give the Thai post a run for it's money. My friend sent a small package from Pattaya to Bangkok, at a cost of 70 Baht, and it was delivered 5 hours later.

How do you pay such an expansion at those rates.

By the way, they don't do international shipping from Thailand, but they use DHL for that.

Like many of these last logistic companies they are losing money hand over fist. They are throwing money at outlasting their competitors and having the nationwide 24 hour door to door capability. At the moment the only other ones to do this are Kerry, Thai Post, and Nim Express (sometimes) DHL say they can do it, but i am skeptical.

Once they have the network set up and have outlasted their competitors, they will increase the price or try and be bought by Cainiao, (Alibaba Logistics arm) JD or the alike.

Kerry is owned by The Kuok Group, so they are unlikely to run out of money fast.

Like many of these last logistic companies they are losing money hand over fist. They are throwing money at outlasting their competitors and having the nationwide 24 hour door to door capability. At the moment the only other ones to do this are Kerry, Thai Post, and Nim Express (sometimes) DHL say they can do it, but i am skeptical.

Once they have the network set up and have outlasted their competitors, they will increase the price or try and be bought by Cainiao, (Alibaba Logistics arm) JD or the alike.

Kerry is owned by The Kuok Group, so they are unlikely to run out of money fast.
Not to attack you but on their website you can download the financials and it shows a profit. Could be i have to look better and study it more.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not to attack you but on their website you can download the financials and it shows a profit. Could be i have to look better and study it more.

Which financials? Kerry Express is their door to door operation. At a Group level i am sure they would be making money, but not on their Express side. They have Kerry Ocean Freight, Kerry Logistics, Kerry Trains, Kerry Seaport etc etc. As a group no doubt they make money, but not on the door to door Kerry Express side.

In August there was even a comment by the head of Kerry Express Thailand in the BKP saying in 2018, Kerry express MAY make a profit for the 1st time in 13 years in Thailand.

Edited by smutcakes
  • Sad 1

Hi

Your probably right i only looked at the main profit not per division. Currently on a holiday fishing at jurassic mointain resort Hua Hin so no access to my computer. I just quickly checked the pdf they had on my phone.

Delivered a certificate to my student in tatters. Should have just gone back to it's origin. They let her deal with it.

I've almost been hit by two Kerry motorcycles on the sidewalks operating at high speeds.

It's cheap and fast but if this is what cheap and fast means who cares

• 1 month later...

primary problem is they will not allow you to open and check contents of a package before you pay "Cash on Delivery"

This is not a problem with Lazada etc because they offer protection but it is a problem if you buy something online that isn't protected - the package could contain anything.

I understand why they will not allow you to open it to avoid theft etc but it is still a huge problem especially if you order something that costs a few thousand baht - pay and open only to find it contains nothing. What then ?

Kerry says they will deal with such an issue - but I am not so sure

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

primary problem is they will not allow you to open and check contents of a package before you pay "Cash on Delivery"

This is not a problem with Lazada etc because they offer protection but it is a problem if you buy something online that isn't protected - the package could contain anything.

I understand why they will not allow you to open it to avoid theft etc but it is still a huge problem especially if you order something that costs a few thousand baht - pay and open only to find it contains nothing. What then ?

When looking at how customer service in Thailand usually works i assume Kerry would "deal" with such an issue by telling you "we are looking into it", "we will contact you again", until you give up.

Use a foreign credit card when buying stuff online, then making a chargeback is usually not too difficult. Of course you might risk that you can't use Lazada anymore if you make a chargeback

Edited by jackdd

On 11/13/2018 at 3:31 PM, recom273 said:

I hope they continue to thrive.

I have serious questions how they are sustainable.

Sending a small package from Pattaya to Bangkok, and arriving within 5 hours at 70 Baht, is not profitable imo.

Yesterday I left my house and down my soi a kerry pick up was delivering a package. When I turned into the next soi another Kerrry pick up was delivering a package.

Within the next 3 km, still in the same little town, I had seen 4 other kerry pickups delivering packages.

If they can't organize their deliveries better they are definitely losing money.

When I drive from my town to pattaya, a distance of 14 km, I pass 7 Kerry distribution centers, all with a load of brandnew pickups parked in front.

At any time of the day there will be probably 5 pickups parked at any of those distribution centers, doing nothing.

I don't think parked vehicles deliver a positive return to a company.

I have serious questions how they are sustainable.

Sending a small package from Pattaya to Bangkok, and arriving within 5 hours at 70 Baht, is not profitable imo.

Yesterday I left my house and down my soi a kerry pick up was delivering a package. When I turned into the next soi another Kerrry pick up was delivering a package.

Within the next 3 km, still in the same little town, I had seen 4 other kerry pickups delivering packages.

If they can't organize their deliveries better they are definitely losing money.

When I drive from my town to pattaya, a distance of 14 km, I pass 7 Kerry distribution centers, all with a load of brandnew pickups parked in front.

At any time of the day there will be probably 5 pickups parked at any of those distribution centers, doing nothing.

I don't think parked vehicles deliver a positive return to a company.

You need plenty they run 24.7, long n short haul, logistics not that easy.Kerry do an excellent job imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When looking at how customer service in Thailand usually works i assume Kerry would "deal" with such an issue by telling you "we are looking into it", "we will contact you again", until you give up.

Use a foreign credit card when buying stuff online, then making a chargeback is usually not too difficult. Of course you might risk that you can't use Lazada anymore if you make a chargeback

like I said Lazada is not a problem, but I ordered something from and online retail company in Bangkok costing 6k baht, they could put anything in there and Kerry say they will not allow me to inspect the package before payment - that is a huge problem for me and will require some tricky negotiation when it arrives, I may be able to bribe the courier to let me look - that is all I can think of right now before I hand money over

My experience with Lazada has been generally good over the last few years until recently - 5 out of 6 packages over the last 12 months did not contain what I ordered and had to be returned, I got full refunds for all the items which is why I am a bit nervous about getting something outside of the protection of Lazada………...really nervous, I know Thailand "the land of scams" so I will need to be very confident that the package contains what I ordered 

• Like 1

I just accepted delivery of 2 SIM cards, costing 2,490 baht, they were in a padded envelope so no real way of knowing if anything was in there without opening.
I showed the driver the money but kept hold of it until I had checked the contents, he was a bit twitchy but okay afterwards ( could have been the 10 baht tip [emoji51]).

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I just accepted delivery of 2 SIM cards, costing 2,490 baht, they were in a padded envelope so no real way of knowing if anything was in there without opening.
I showed the driver the money but kept hold of it until I had checked the contents, he was a bit twitchy but okay afterwards ( could have been the 10 baht tip emoji51.png).

Yorkshire and proud!:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife found a charity that has an arraignment with Kerry where if you pay for the box shipping clothes is free. They have a list of approved recipients. I don’t know who pays the freight or what happens to the clothes but I was happy when she scootered off with a huge bag. Slowly she’s learning it’s okay to tip and give someone something unneeded who isn’t family.