Terminal 21 Pattaya: Last call for all Eastern shoppers

snoop1130

If you don't like traffic stay away this weekend . 

They have something called Temple Fair starting today and there will be live music and entertainment all day and night. And as we all know Thais love that. They will arrive in big numbers. 

Luckily I can just walk and be there within 10 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

Good food lol

What is your point? The food I had was not just good -it was great. It was one of the best if not the best meal I've had in Thailand. I'll give you a clue - it wasn't at the food court and it was 1750 for 2. That was the discounted promo price and a very good price if you add in food like wagyu beef and fresh oysters.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

@Kim J no need to defend yourself on here. Last time I checked it wasn't a crime to dislike shopping centres, or express those sentiments in a forum.

As for your wife's cooking.. if she's anything like mine I totally agree with you. Whilst we do dine out regularly, I can honestly say it's very rare that we ever eat anything out that she couldn't have cooked at least as well, if not better. 

• Like 2

Haven't gone yet. Would have loved a "Beijing" or "Shanghai" or "Hong Kong" theme (or possibly even an Indian) theme instead of a San Francisco and a Hollywood theme. I mean *** - those two are a grand total of 340 miles apart - how different can a greasy cheeseburger in San Francisco be from the exact same thing in Hollywood ? 
At least with the English (London), French (Paris) and Italian (Rome I assume) themes you have 3 distinct styles of food. I'm sure most of you know that Chinese and Japanese are also quite distinct styles. But San Francisco and Hollywood ?

I'm also guessing that the cinemas will be showing the exact same shows that they are also showing at the other malls (instead of maybe, I don't know, showing some different ones). Then again, I guess there isn't a lot of choices, especially when hit movies appear on TV within a couple months of being in the theatre. (I just watched the newest Jurassic World movie on TV - I didn't know it had even been in the theatres yet and it was only released 5 months ago.)
(Yep - just checked - exact same movies showing at Central Festival, Central Marina and T21.)

Had lunch with a friend of mine near TukCom yesterday. He'd gone to T21 a couple days earlier. He mentioned how they apparently overlooked "parking" at that place and how the traffic guys were directing scooters into areas that were already overflowing and full of people that couldn't find spaces. 

I suppose it may be worth a visit once. 

Remember when they put TukCom into that refurbished old building on Pattaya Tai. It was supposed to be the "IT Centre" of the Eastern seaboard that was going to attract shoppers from all the neighbouring provinces. They even built a parkade - 3 blocks away and hidden from view.
It never lived up to the hype and never attracted the business they thought it would. (And trying to park, even a scooter, anywhere around there is a pain.)

I expect the hype over T21 will last a few weeks, then settle down to the point where half the shops are empty most of the time and it will start looking like most of the other malls around the city.

Then it may be worth making a visit.

28 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Haven't gone yet. Would have loved a "Beijing" or "Shanghai" or "Hong Kong" theme (or possibly even an Indian) theme instead of a San Francisco and a Hollywood theme. I mean *** - those two are a grand total of 340 miles apart - how different can a greasy cheeseburger in San Francisco be from the exact same thing in Hollywood ? 
At least with the English (London), French (Paris) and Italian (Rome I assume) themes you have 3 distinct styles of food. I'm sure most of you know that Chinese and Japanese are also quite distinct styles. But San Francisco and Hollywood ?

I'm also guessing that the cinemas will be showing the exact same shows that they are also showing at the other malls (instead of maybe, I don't know, showing some different ones). Then again, I guess there isn't a lot of choices, especially when hit movies appear on TV within a couple months of being in the theatre. (I just watched the newest Jurassic World movie on TV - I didn't know it had even been in the theatres yet and it was only released 5 months ago.)
(Yep - just checked - exact same movies showing at Central Festival, Central Marina and T21.)

Had lunch with a friend of mine near TukCom yesterday. He'd gone to T21 a couple days earlier. He mentioned how they apparently overlooked "parking" at that place and how the traffic guys were directing scooters into areas that were already overflowing and full of people that couldn't find spaces. 

I suppose it may be worth a visit once. 

Remember when they put TukCom into that refurbished old building on Pattaya Tai. It was supposed to be the "IT Centre" of the Eastern seaboard that was going to attract shoppers from all the neighbouring provinces. They even built a parkade - 3 blocks away and hidden from view.
It never lived up to the hype and never attracted the business they thought it would. (And trying to park, even a scooter, anywhere around there is a pain.)

I expect the hype over T21 will last a few weeks, then settle down to the point where half the shops are empty most of the time and it will start looking like most of the other malls around the city.

Then it may be worth making a visit.

You're more than a little bit confused.

Not too surprising as you haven't been there.

You've got the idea of the themes all wrong.

The named floors do not correspond in any way with the food on offer.

Not all floors feature food at all and they also have themes.

The San Francisco floor and the Hollywood floor are the same floor. The Hollywood part is a small section near the cinema. Duh!

Your idea of what kind of food is on offer in one of the greatest restaurant cities on the planet (San Francisco) and LA ain't chopped liver either in that department is totally MORONIC and says lots about you and nothing about SF and LA. But it's not SF and LA there. It's a freakin' theme mall in Thailand.

As far as Chinese stuff, there are multiple Chinese restaurants. As far as Indian stuff, there is one (struggling) Indian restaurant. 

I think you're unfortunately right about the cinemas showing mostly the same dreck as elsewhere in town. I had hoped that we would now have some more sophisticated choices such as in Bangkok at the new T21. Nope. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:
9 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Too bad most (not all, but close) of the vendors are a repeat of what is available everywhere else.  I can go,  sheep (shop) and prove my willingness accept Thai conformity (culture)

In some cases, they may have the same dishes, but the quality will be better at T21. That's been my experience so far.

Let's see what happens in 6-12 months when they start taking cost out of the product.  Happens to so many successful venues, with pizza probably being the best example.  Place opens up serving great food (because they use good ingredients), then they figure out they're not making as much money as they could with cheaper ingredients or skimpier recipes.

That said, any opportunity to try out a new venue that's still wooing new diners is likely to be better than a visit to one that's already done their cost reductions.  But will it last?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lespaulTV said:

Ya, I didn’t eat there but notice the price are lower than even central marina foodcourt. Just don’t like the vibe about the mall, a bit bangkokish about it

It is VERY Bangkokish! That's why I like it. Trip to Bangkok closer to home.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's see what happens in 6-12 months when they start taking cost out of the product.  Happens to so many successful venues, with pizza probably being the best example.  Place opens up serving great food (because they use good ingredients), then they figure out they're not making as much money as they could with cheaper ingredients or skimpier recipes.

That said, any opportunity to try out a new venue that's still wooing new diners is likely to be better than a visit to one that's already done their cost reductions.  But will it last?

There's a couple of "Pizza places" in T21 I dont think will last.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:20 PM, marcusarelus said:

I think you opened yourself up to criticism when you posted, " haven't been and have no intention of going. These places hold absolutely no attraction for me at all, shopping is a chore, and it will never become a pleasure, I have much better things to do with my time than waste it wandering aimlessly around shopping centres." 

Hence bashing a place you have never been and have no intention of going.  Why would you think anyone would be interested in such an uneducated (person having no direct knowledge of the subject) opinion?

I do not think he was bashing the place, just saying malls in general do not appeal to him. Plenty of people feel the same and wonder the commercial logic of yet another mall.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, Xaos said:
On 11/15/2018 at 6:42 PM, mok199 said:
Mean while back in town..the beach is a disgrace the traffic is an issue and the floods will return....''see you at the mall''

Beach is fenced off

Not that end, from Soi 9 area southward.

48 minutes ago, johng said:
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, impulse said:

There's a couple of "Pizza places" in T21 I dont think will last.

Well there are two higher end Italian places there and they are not only about pizza either.

Both from Bangkok.

There is Pala (partnered with local Pan Pan but still Pala food) and IO Osteria. 

So far I have tried Pala's pizza (slices) here and it was excellent Roman style pizza.

As far as their long term viability, who knows? 

https://www.facebook.com/Palapizzaromanabistrot

https://io-osteria.com/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Or "stay home" and spend quality time with my family. Rather than visiting a shopping centre, I would call that a definite "winner".

Come on, if you have kids, they would like it and usually a wife would! Join the rest of the sour faced husbands! ????

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Jingthing said:

Bite your tongue. What a food court!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Jingthing said:

You don't like good food?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Jingthing said:

I wasn't speaking only of the food court, of course. There are many restaurants there that are unique in Pattaya and I'm sure you can't cook all the stuff they have in them, not even close.

Food court food is average at best. Much better available at small, local Thai restaurants. Very busy at T21 and difficult to get a seat.

As for the restaurants, many are chains that already have a presence in Pattaya. And yes, I can cook much of the food available in them and better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kim J said:

LOL.

My daughter actually likes Harbour Mall, shops and restaurants aside there are loads of children's activities in there and mostly of a good standard. She particularly loves the indoor climbing wall.

You will often see us in there for an hour or two during a weekend wandering around aimlessly whilst the daughter is having fun with her friends.

Agree, the activities for young children are far superior at Harbour than T21.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been 4 or 5 times but yesterday we went at night..it is a completely different experience...it is an abolutleybeautyful place..the lighting and the events outside are perfect, a great crowd and tons of nice places to sit and enjoy the evening....we used to hang out at the beach but it is disgusting ....see ya at the mall

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

yes harbor is an amazing mall for kids and even adults regarding activities...were else can you skate and snowboard in pattaya...

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well there are two higher end Italian places there and they are not only about pizza either.

Both from Bangkok.

There is Pala (partnered with local Pan Pan but still Pala food) and IO Osteria. 

So far I have tried Pala's pizza (slices) here and it was excellent Roman style pizza.

As far as their long term viability, who knows? 

https://www.facebook.com/Palapizzaromanabistrot

https://io-osteria.com/

Working at Asok, I ate regularly at Pala for years, and they are one venue that has never disappointed.  Their slices cost about 2x what the Little Italy in Jasmine charges, but well worth it.  If I had a complaint, it's that they seem to cater to the LWL (ladies who lunch).  Their portions left me walking away hungry after spending quite a bit on lunch.  But that's easy to solve by ordering more, unlike poor quality that cannot be gotten around at any cost.

Hopefully, they'll do the same in Pattaya, but I always cringe when a great eatery "partners" with a local entity and becomes vulnerable to costing pressures.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Someone was complaining there was no Toys"R"Us in T21 , well they are there now.  They just moved in and occupies the center of one of the floors, I think London floor. Maybe just temporarily . 

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hopefully, they'll do the same in Pattaya,

I love their Pala too , It's around 90 baht for a big slice.  

But not many customers when I walk by. 

8 hours ago, balo said:

I love their Pala too , It's around 90 baht for a big slice.  

But not many customers when I walk by. 

It was always a flip of a coin whether there would be any seats available whenever I went there for lunch.  No big deal unless I was meeting friends or co-workers since I always got 2 slices of Bascioli (sp?) and took it back to the office to eat and do my web surfing during lunch.  They do a lot of walk up and take away business.  But I can see why they'd be slow other than lunch time, being in the shadow of T21 at Asoke, and not inside the mall itself to draw in the browsers.

I'm not a big fan of shopping malls but out of curiosity i visited Terminal 21 with the wife yesterday, very impressive. Only light traffic on north road and around dolphin circle and parking was easy. Food wise you are spoilt for choice, good quality eateries, especially on the San Fransisco level. Didn't intend spending anything, just a look, but ended up buying a load of clothes for me, it's worth a visit.

• Like 1