Mukdahan: Two children drown after being left alone

webfact

Two children drown after being left alone

By The Nation

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFh6mFUDdWXYXDghUy73YojdwLvVu.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Two young boys drowned in a pond behind their kindergarten on Thursday evening after they were left alone to wait for their parents to pick them up.

The bodies of the two second-year pupils at Ban Lao School in Mukdahan’s Muang district, were found in the pond at 5.30pm. They were six and seven years old.

When their parents turned up to fetch them but did not find them, they looked around and found their shoes on the edge of the pond. They then combed the pond's bed and found the bodies.

The parents complained that teachers should have waited behind to hand over all students to their parents instead of leaving school when classes were over.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358679

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-16
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Solved? Two dead kids at a school, it should be shut down immediately and child care workers prosecuted.

Solved FOR THE FUTURE.

The important part is "for the future" assuming they follow the advice.

No matter what you do, the kids will never come back...

What a horrible tragedy,as a dad if something like this happened to me I don't think I would survived it.

Deepest sympathies for the parents.

The teachers should have never released the kids without the parents being there. When I was picking up my daughter when she was young, not only they would not let her leave the school on her own but they would not release her to a person without  proper ID.

• Like 2

While I am not in any ways trying to defend the schools in Thailand, as I have so often seen that the schools and the teachers do not live up to their responsibility to look after the students well enough, it might not be the fault of the school in this case.

I live very close to the school and have 2 daughters (12 and 14 years old). My daughters know about it, and have told me, that the 2 kids that drowned normally walk home by themselves after school time. (As most kids in my village do from our local school).
Only this day the kids felt like playing in the water, before going home.
Kids are naughty from time to time, especially at that age, and especially if they are normally allowed to do what they want, as most Thai kids seems to be.

If it is like that, and the parents expect the kids to walk home by themselves, then I do not think it is the responsibility of the school, to make sure that the students get home safe.

It is about time that the Thai schools and teachers start to live up to their responsibility, but also that the Thai parents start to do the same.
The biggest problem is that neither seems to know what safety means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Thailand its well known,nobody is there on time,how late

were the parents ?,should a teacher have stayed behind to watch 

them ?, both parties to blame,more so the parents I think,

children are precious and need to be protected at all times.

RIP the little lads.

regards Worgeordie

On 11/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, Bob12345 said:

Completely agree, you cant just kick them to the street and hope they will still be alive when the parents arrive.

The school should also just charge for late pickup; for every 15 min the parents are late they need to pay "nanny" fees. That way the school can just pay the teachers for the overtime and the parents have an incentive to be waiting at the door for their kids.

Problem solved for the future, i will send the bill for my consultancy report next week.

Am I missing something here? The parents, who had better things to do than be on time to take care of and collect their kids, blame the school for not taking care of them? As usual in Thailand, it is always, always someone else's fault.

• Like 1