Udon Thani 65,000 baht retirement extension rules

12 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Thanks , it’s nice to know they will honor the affidavit for 6 months .

It's even nicer to know the rest of us, without letters have a chance!

The more positive news such as this that we hear, the better. If for no other reason than the 'doom prophets' will finally give us a rest.  :smile:

• Like 1

The requirement for retirement is

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

Copied from https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18
"Evidence of income of no less than B65,000 / month." No mention of being deposited in a Thai bank. That is what the affidavit proved. 

If it is deposited monthly into a Thai bank, surely no affidavit is required, preferably a letter from the Thai bank and copies of passbook.

On a slightly different subject, if the B800,000  or B400,000 (Marriage) is imported to a Thai bank account and duly seasoned for the required period, is there any demand that says the money must stay in the account or be used for living expenses during the coming year. I am curious as to what happens if money is imported then after the extension is granted, it is repatriated to the bank of its origin. Can this be done? 

Edited by ratcatcher

The OP did good job relating his experience. Thankyou.

On slightly different side to the changes policy, I really wonder what will be situation with the many people that in past have been getting "around some requirements"

I go to udon every month and hang out with guys that live there in the day/night area. Many many just say to me "oh my agent does all that" lot/some of these guys don't have great deal of money. I recall years ago when I obtained first annual extension of "permission of stay" my condo owner gave me name of an agent (UK guy) who I enquired about. Nice fella he was going to do it all for me. The 800k etc. I did need to turn up to bkk imm but rest was all done. Think it may have been 25k for the service. I opted to do it myself "by the books" and rest is history several extensions later. 

Why long winded story....I'm just curious what some folk plan to do in future. Coincidentally I'm flying to udon later today and will use op informative post to ask about what some guys do with there extensions and plans for next one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danthai said:

Any indication that next year the combination method will be allowed with money in bank and monthly deposits to account might be accepted? 

not sure how that would work

Imagine for 6 months (or even 12 months 33k) you transfer 66k each month totaling 400k and you leave the balance (400k) in the bank for 3 months prior to extension application - that technically would be income of 400k and a balance of 400k but it also only totals 400k for the whole year.

Combo possibility

One possibility would be the income in one account but always retaining a 400k balance in a different account (easier to work out) so in effect you have an account that always has 400k+ balance and a working account that sees 400k lodged over the year with withdrawals - That could work and provide an easy solution

Very simple to have 2 bank accounts

That is pretty much what I do now to renew my extension for 800k baht but would be slightly different in that the only balance you have to maintain would be 400k and your lodgments over the year also equal to 400k would be lodgement and withdrawal over 12 months 

Edited by smedly
  • Confused 1