Dutch cyclist completes near-18,000km overland journey to visit dad in Thailand

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, Bullie said:

His bicycle shows a Dutch flag, so I guess he' s Dutch. Not all Dutch people have typically Dutch names. Some Dutchman are called Mohammed Aboutaleb, or Benir Cacici, or Vlad Rostock. Other Dutchmen even have English, or Italian names! There are fewer and fewer Dutchmen with original Dutch names. We are, literally, a dying breed.

You are right, of course. It’s just out of sheer curiosity that I typed the unusual name into the Meertens familyname data bank and didn’t get a hit. 

Well done making it all the way here ininjured and most importantly alive, as a sport man myself I’m truly impressed !

Once in Thailand though he better not cycle at all unless he’s got a all round bullit proof metal protection covering his bycicle too ! These reckless and public danger drivers have no consideration for anyone on the roads  They’re an accident waiting to happen  at any given moment this while the police looks the other way ( since there may be no money involved ) if anything happens to a foreigner doing something perfectly normal in his home country.. 

2 hours ago, damascase said:

You are right, of course. It’s just out of sheer curiosity that I typed the unusual name into the Meertens familyname data bank and didn’t get a hit. 

He’s actually called Williem  Cornelissen

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

After taking 10 months to get here and not seeing his old man for 3 years you would think he would want stay longer than a week.

At the age of 28 I'm surprised he got 10 months off work so no holiday, more likely he quit his job, in which case I wonder how he funded his trip for that length of time & how he's going to get home, another 10 months or a flight?

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads

Buffalo carts were a menace though! 

Been coming to Thailand for 38 years, mini vans have always been part of the scene.

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

I’ve been riding motorcycles in Thailand for years.

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads.

These days if I see a minivan behind I keep it in sight and pull over to the left to let him pass.

The drivers are a danger and a nuisance, I am a foreigner and always on the lookout for foreigner haters (easy to spot), they pass you at speed and quite close, the minivan drivers do this on most occasions.

They also drive as if they own the roads, always hogging the left lane that normally allow the scooters through, these people are evil on our roads.

The 'rot tu' have been part of the public transport system for as long as I can think back, and I lived and cycled in Thailand for over 2 decades till I moved to Vietnam a year ago. 

And yes they are a bunch of suicidal and homocidale maniacs. 30 years ago the big buses were just as dangerous, barreling down narrow 2-lane highways at 140kmp (you don't see that much anymore) 

Far from safe for bicycles here in Vietnam either :just as, if not more chaotic, but at about half the speed :you have an accident in Siam you die, here in Vietnam you probably just end up paralysed. Not so sure what 's better. 

At the age of 28 I'm surprised he got 10 months off work so no holiday, more likely he quit his job, in which case I wonder how he funded his trip for that length of time & how he's going to get home, another 10 months or a flight?
Huh? Savings!