• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 626

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

2. 305

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

3. 2,664

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

4. 10

Video: SpaceX rocket booster successfully lands in Texas after test launch

5. 1,070

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

6. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

7. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

8. 305

9. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

10. 8

11. 305

12. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

13. 305

14. 8

Scientists weigh up stratospheric sunlight barrier to curb warming

webfact

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I only have long-term experience of 2 countries.

England, a bit wetter with less sunny days than 55 years back, but about the same temperature.

Sea level, not measurably different where I lived. Same crops being grown.

Thailand, a bit wetter this year, but the same temperature as the last 10 years.

I can't see any consistent trends in weather patterns, that would worry me.

Can't help thinking if something significant was happening, 55 years would be enough for us to see a change without 'scientists' needing to tell us.

Kilogram gets a new definition

Scientists have changed the way the kilogram is defined.

Currently, it is defined by the weight of a platinum-based ingot called "Le Grand K" which is locked away in a safe in Paris.

On Friday, researchers meeting in Versailles voted to get rid of it in favour of defining a kilogram in terms of an electric current.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46143399

Maybe climatologists could follow a similar path and instead of relying on all that pointless data substitute your memory of what the weather has been over the last 55 years. Science marches on!

Edited by bristolboy

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Newspapers of the day quote the "experts" of the day. 

Predictions cannot even be correct for a ten year period yet we are expected to believe 30/50/100 year predictions.

I don't know why I bother with you people.

The feeling is mutual.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Instead of being a leftist zealot you could perhaps take a glance at all the newspaper reports of the coming ice age in the newspapers of the 70's. Consensus in science does not mean truth.

First off, you claimed before that when you said scientists you meant "some". So now we can take it as read that you didn't mean "some". Maybe you were just kidding? And is there a difference between "kidding" and "lying"?

And your claim that this was the consensus is flat out false. 

"A survey of peer reviewed scientific papers from 1965 to 1979 show that few papers predicted global cooling (7 in total). Significantly more papers (42 in total) predicted global warming (Peterson 2008). The large majority of climate research in the 1970s predicted the Earth would warm as a consequence of CO2. Rather than 1970s scientists predicting cooling, the opposite is the case."

1970s_papers.gif

https://skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s-intermediate.htm

Edited by bristolboy

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I only have long-term experience of 2 countries.

England, a bit wetter with less sunny days than 55 years back, but about the same temperature.

Sea level, not measurably different where I lived. Same crops being grown.

Thailand, a bit wetter this year, but the same temperature as the last 10 years.

I can't see any consistent trends in weather patterns, that would worry me.

Can't help thinking if something significant was happening, 55 years would be enough for us to see a change without 'scientists' needing to tell us.

One can't draw general conclusions from one's personal experience.

If you want to "see a change", you might want to watch the documentary "Chasing ice" (free on Youtube).

Or you might want to give a look at lake Mead, held by the Hoover dam in Western USA, whose level is at record low, because of a multi year drought in Southwestern USA.

And of course there have been the record breaking hurricanes devastating Northern America and East Asia in these last two years.

The earth is much bigger than England or Thailand, and a large increase of temperature contained around the North polar circle is enough to wreak havoc on a very large part of the world.

• Like 1

Nothing! That's the problem md.  But really cars, power stations, factories...

Virtually no one wants to change their way of life, but people seem to think there is some magic they’re going to save the world with using other people’s money.

I like driving, I like flying, I like eating meat, I like air conditioning, I like markets in the winter full of fresh fruit from all over the world, I like going to the movies, I like all the things that get from fossil fuels and we’re a long way from having something viable to replace it with (aside from nuclear) so it’s all noise.

If it’s going to get hotter, it’s just going to have to get hotter.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Virtually no one wants to change their way of life, but people seem to think there is some magic they’re going to save the world with using other people’s money.

I like driving, I like flying, I like eating meat, I like air conditioning, I like markets in the winter full of fresh fruit from all over the world, I like going to the movies, I like all the things that get from fossil fuels and we’re a long way from having something viable to replace it with (aside from nuclear) so it’s all noise.

It's virtually impossible for one individual to change his life, and rather futile too. Only governments can make us do things that we find unpleasant. But it really is going cold turkey now, or later with even more pain. Right now! Fat chance. I really am getting worried, but what's worse is not many share my concern.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

'If it’s going to get hotter, it’s just going to have to get hotter.'

It's more than just getting a bit sweaty though!

47 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Based on what we have been told by the experts, arent we all supposed to be baked or drowned already. Or is it wait until next year.

No.

Maybe 10, 20, perhaps 30 years. Hey! But let's not get ahead of ourselves..lots of pain to go through first????

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

You are right, and the worst offenders are probably the greens and NGO's members who spend their time in planes and cars to go from one climate change meeting to another!

Having said that, the core issue is that we have developed our civilization using the wrong sources of energy, and as a consequence we have let human population reach a level that cannot be sustained without using these wrong energies.

Thus, changing tack is impossible !

On top of that, like it or not, we will soon run of our main source of energy: oil (yes, there is plenty of it left, but most of it is not recoverable for technical reasons).

The worst is that we may well run out of energy at the same time that we will feel the full impact of climate change, sometime in the next few decades...a one two punch that will definitively knock us down...

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

It sounds to me like you are in training for where you are going after your demise which with global warming might be sooner that you thought LOL

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

You are right, and the worst offenders are probably the greens and NGO's members who spend their time in planes and cars to go from one climate change meeting to another!

Having said that, the core issue is that we have developed our civilization using the wrong sources of energy, and as a consequence we have let human population reach a level that cannot be sustained without using these wrong energies.

Thus, changing tack is impossible !

On top of that, like it or not, we will soon run of our main source of energy: oil (yes, there is plenty of it left, but most of it is not recoverable for technical reasons).

The worst is that we may well run out of energy at the same time that we will feel the full impact of climate change, sometime in the next few decades...a one two punch that will definitively knock us down...

How are the NGOS and the greens the main offenders? what percentage of airplane travel you think is done by NGOS and Greens? and what percentage of greenhouse pollution is  attributed to air travel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Apart from the nonsense of asserting that "the worst offenders are probably the greens and NGO's members who spend their time in planes and cars to go from one climate change meeting to another!" this assertion is exactly analogous to saying it would be wrong to build a wind farm or solar factory using power generated by coal. A sliver of harm now for a mountain of benefits later. And this of course, without considering the possibility of people purchasing carbon offsets.  Of course, if you have access to or knowledge of clean powered teleportation technology, please feel free to share it with the rest of us.

Edited by bristolboy

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Only governments can make us do things that we find unpleasant.

The most telling comment on the whole Global Warming fiasco I have seen on this Board. The only way to save the Planet is to make all pigs equal, except the ones who are more equal that other. Another crusade in the name of Science! There is a nice warm place in the Kolyma for the Deniers, those who would dare to question the Wisdom!

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It sounds to me like you are in training for where you are going after your demise which with global warming might be sooner that you thought LOL

How are the NGOS and the greens the main offenders? what percentage of airplane travel you think is done by NGOS and Greens? and what percentage of greenhouse pollution is  attributed to air travel?

Well, they are the main offenders in the sense that they are supposed to set an example of good behavior, like the monks, instead of behaving like the worst among us, like many of the monks.

I don't know about you, but the average climate change afficionado is travelling much more than me...meeting in Rio, meeting in Bali, meeting in Paris and so on.

As for the contribution of air travel to climate change: massive!

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/air-travel-climate-change/

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Apart from the nonsense of asserting that "the worst offenders are probably the greens and NGO's members who spend their time in planes and cars to go from one climate change meeting to another!" this assertion is exactly analogous to saying it would be wrong to build a wind farm or solar factory using power generated by coal. A sliver of harm now for a mountain of benefits later. And this of course, without considering the possibility of people purchasing carbon offsets.  Of course, if you have access to or knowledge of clean powered teleportation technology, please feel free to share it with the rest of us.

And what exactly is this "mountain of benefits" made of?

In the age of teleconference, not yet teleportation, most meetings could be organized without most of the attendants leaving their respective countries...the news channels do it all the time, setting debates with people staying in different locations all over the world.

Since the very large majority of attendants don't speak at such gatherings, but only listen, they could very well do it from home.

As for the wind turbine, it is good example of the limits of renewable energy...in this case, the main offender is the cement involved in the construction, which production generates massive emissions.

In a different domain, there is a calculation showing that the emissions involved in the production of Tesla brand new battery factory offset the emission savings from said batteries.

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Well, they are the main offenders in the sense that they are supposed to set an example of good behavior, like the monks, instead of behaving like the worst among us, like many of the monks.

I don't know about you, but the average climate change afficionado is travelling much more than me...meeting in Rio, meeting in Bali, meeting in Paris and so on.

As for the contribution of air travel to climate change: massive!

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/air-travel-climate-change/

what are they supposed to do, stop being NGOs or travel by canoe?

IMO the worst offenders are  those who profit from fossil  fuels, and conspire to keep renewables and  non polluting energy technologies out of the market so that they can squeeze every ounce of profit from their business by mudding the waters with pseudoscience concerning global warming.

If we considered the real cost of fossil fuels by including the cost of all the wars fought to secure their business, the lives lost, and pollution clean up , Then people would know that renewables are much cheaper.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Even charities and nonprofits have overhead.  Here are some of the worst:

1. Scottsdale League for the Arts        98.5%

2. Efrat-C.R.I.B                         98.3%

3. Texas Stampede                        97%

4. Walker Cancer Research Institute      96.4%

5. Faith's Hope Foundation               95.5%

6. Heart Support of America              94.4%

7. Children's Charity Fund, Inc.         93.9%

8. Shiloh International Ministries       93.9%

9. United States Deputy Sheriff's Assn   93.4%

11. Firefighters Charitable Foundation   93%

12. Cancer Survivors' Fund               92.9%

This falls under the heading of 'got to get the kitchen dirty to make a good meal'.

20 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

the average climate change afficionado is travelling much more than me...meeting in Rio, meeting in Bali, meeting in Paris and so on

Aficionados are, by definition, not the average person.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Only governments can make us do things that we find unpleasant.

The most telling comment on the whole Global Warming fiasco I have seen on this Board.

It's also a big fat lie.  Do you really think government is the only entity that can make us do unpleasant things?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

what are they supposed to do, stop being NGOs or travel by canoe?

I already answered: teleconference!

What's the point of all these wonderful communication systems if people travel to the other side of the world just to listen to someone talking?

Anyway, if organizers were chosing less attractive places than Bali or Rio for their massive gatherings, many attendants would probably find a reason to stay home...I would suggest Pyongyang, North Korea, or Sinaloa, Mexico, for example...

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The most telling comment on the whole Global Warming fiasco I have seen on this Board. The only way to save the Planet is to make all pigs equal, except the ones who are more equal that other. Another crusade in the name of Science! There is a nice warm place in the Kolyma for the Deniers, those who would dare to question the Wisdom!

Next thing you know, governments will be making people pay taxes. And then putting those who refuse to pay in prison. Evil governments!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Srinivas said:

check out the "dire" warning title on the climates change report

the very first paragraph says,

worst case reduction of 10% of gdp by end of century!

"BY the end of the century" = 72 years.  10% of GDP over those years = trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars.  

I wonder what the cost is now of these once in a 100, 500 and 1,000 year events.   We have seen some rather frequent and intense hurricanes, floods and fire.   

Rebuilding is an expensive endeavor and it seems to be getting more frequent.   

7 hours ago, attrayant said:

"BY the end of the century" = 72 years.  10% of GDP over those years = trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars.  

even more trillions and trillions when your math is edited. 82 

spraying particles into the stratosphere?

what happens when a volcano erupts and ads more? do we have a giant vacuum

to suck out just the right amount before we freeze????

(not a real question) just sayin

scott adams(dilbert) has an interesting

take on this report on youtube if anyone here is interested.

12 hours ago, Srinivas said:

check out the "dire" warning title on the climates change report

the very first paragraph says,

worst case reduction of 10% of gdp by end of century! omg????

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/23/health/climate-change-report-bn/index.html

spraying the stratosphere seems like an overkill imo

Does the government report advocate spraying sulfides into the atmosphere?