Joint Bank Account for Extension of Stay/Retirement Visa

7 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You seem to have this backwards. It's 2 months for the first retirement extension and three months for subsequent extensions.  Marriage extensions you need 2 months seasoning.

Didn't feel like wading through the balance of your seemingly endless post. Much of it seems to confuse income with bank balances or bank deposits. They're not the same thing although in future,  deposits into a Thai bank may replace income verification.

Most likely the Thai immigration website you got this misinformation from is one of those that appears official, but is in fact a commercial enterprise.

"Even if I had the time and money to file a lawsuit and took it to their Supreme Court just to screw with the system ..."

Since you would have no basis for a lawsuit based on your flawed interpretation of immigration law and its application you wouldn't get beyond attempting to hire a lawyer willing to pursue frivolous litigation. This isn't America ... and even there the system would flush you out before your dreams of the Supreme Court would materialize.

"I will see you next year... she responded with a smile."

It was probably a grimace. They must be fed up with people kvetching about the income affidavit.

It seems you might have taken the time to wade through the endless report if you did and comprehended the first sentence you might have gotten it.

As I stated I couldn't find the email noticed I received from the US Embassy so if you have it please wade through things and provide it.

I wonder at times how serious people get so serious they go brain dead as to what they read and comprehend but I understand it is part of human nature but your statements seem to contradict the majority of the poster here.

I've stated this wasn't America!  As to the lawsuit you know very little about the law and was joking but I guess you missed that portion!  A lawsuit even in Thailand wouldn't be to sue Immigration to reinstate the affidavit but to get a clarification on the language of the requirement.

I suggest you wade through the post again and do it this time without being serious and please provide the official Thai Immigration website!????

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

What I wasn't prepared for was an extra £50 charge being applied to my UK bank account by an intermediary bank.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I recall once of being surprised by a charge from an intermediary bank when making a transfer from HSBC-UK to Turkey, tracking that showed Barclays got the money. I complained to HSBC and they refunded it. 

I originally thought of Transferwise as being Estonian based which concerned me but it appears they are now UK based. 

I also thought their 'local account' was it Thailand rather than Singapore.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You seem to have this backwards. It's 2 months for the first retirement extension and three months for subsequent extensions.  Marriage extensions you need 2 months seasoning.

Most likely the Thai immigration website you got this misinformation from is one of those that appears official, but is in fact a commercial enterprise.

26 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I suggest you wade through the post again and do it this time without being serious and please provide the official Thai Immigration website!????

'Google' is your friend in these situations.

Alternatively you could open your eyes and in a 'sticky' post within this same forum your posting are all the downloads you may seek. 

I strongly suggest you download and peruse the following to start with

Immigration forms download from website of Immigration Bureau

Official Immigration website. View in ENG option, top RH corner.

Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com

Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557  documents for extension of stay translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com

Section 2.18 reference to financial requirements for marriage extensions.

Section 2.22 reference to financial requirements for retirement extensions.

Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

You should read in particular sections 4, 37 and 38, which refer to address reporting requirements.

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I recall once of being surprised by a charge from an intermediary bank when making a transfer from HSBC-UK to Turkey, tracking that showed Barclays got the money. I complained to HSBC and they refunded it. 

I originally thought of Transferwise as being Estonian based which concerned me but it appears they are now UK based. 

I also thought their 'local account' was it Thailand rather than Singapore.

They probably/may have a local account in Thailand, but their nearest local office who deal with the transaction is based in Singapore.

16 hours ago, carken said:

Question 1 ... does Thai baht "deposit"

have to come from outside

Thailand or is it OK that I

do the deposit myself using

money I got from ATM

Question 2 ... My/our Thai bank is in both

my name and my Thai wife's

name. Will I have to open a

separate Thai Bank account

in my name only and use

that for my "proof of income"

Not sure if you have been following all the threads about the income letters ending etc but at the moment there are no definitive answers to your questions (after the income affidavits end). Unless Thai immigration announces otherwise, its the lump sum method in the future, the 40k  income method ends when you can no longer show an income affidavit..

Not much use asking about deposit or account requirements for the 40k income method as its coming to an end and the new requirements, if any, have not clarified.

Its 400k in an account in your name only, for 3 months, or use an agent.

Edited by Peterw42

16 hours ago, carken said:

In the future it looks like I will have to use the 3 month seasoned bank account showing 40,000 Baht a month being deposited into it. I withdraw the money from my US bank using my US ATM card and deposit the 40,000 into our Thai bank.

You appear to be confusing the 400k lump sum requirements (seasoned funds) and 40k income requirements. To date, or going forward, there is no mention of a seasoning requirement for the 40k income. the future requirements for the income method are yet to be clarified .

Edited by Peterw42

On 11/26/2018 at 11:07 PM, Banana7 said:

For me, the IO in Bangkok wanted the Thai bank Tor Tor 3. But the Land Department had taken my Tor Tor 3 for the purchase of my condo, so the IO accepted the transaction codes in my Thai bank book, as adequate proof the money came from outside. The Thai bank would NOT issue a duplicate Tor Tor 3 for any reason.

I have no direct experience with Transferwise and I have never heard that it would be accepted as proof the funds originated outside Thailand. I recommend you do a bank to bank transfer using SWIFT.

Transferwise transfers show FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer ) when it arrives at your Thai bank, well it does for Bangkok Bank. And if you could show a foreign bank statement which shows the transfers origin, I guess you would be OK.

The proof of funds from outside Thailand only applies in one specific instance, if you are doing a conversion to an initial O visa inside Thailand, from a visa exempt or tourist etc. If your arrive with an O visa, OA visa etc, your subsequent extension does not require funds from outside Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

'Google' is your friend in these situations.

Alternatively you could open your eyes and in a 'sticky' post within this same forum your posting are all the downloads you may seek. 

I strongly suggest you download and peruse the following to start with

Immigration forms download from website of Immigration Bureau

Official Immigration website. View in ENG option, top RH corner.

Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com

Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557  documents for extension of stay translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com

Section 2.18 reference to financial requirements for marriage extensions.

Section 2.22 reference to financial requirements for retirement extensions.

Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

You should read in particular sections 4, 37 and 38, which refer to address reporting requirements.

Thanks but sorry none of this stuff will open my eyes to actually what!  personally I just can't understand why people continue to cited and refer to these sections especially when I have been doing extension for 12 years. These orders aren't as if they were created today 2018!  Nothing has really changed as of 2018 except the income letter won't be usable in the future!  

When it comes to forms I know them well but doing extension for 12 years as noted.

Police order been in place since 2006-08  what is the purpose of citing it to me?

Immigration B order .... same stuff been in place since 1979!

Immigration Act B.E. sections 4,37,38  same response as above.

Thanks, but what was the purpose of citing this information it certainly didn't open my eyes to what I already know and experience?  

I just read the website Ministry of Foreign affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand there isn't anything new that I haven't read already.  So what is the point it still doesn't change a damn thing as to what is being discussed here!

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Thanks, but what was the purpose of citing this information it certainly didn't open my eyes to what I already know and experience?  

You asked for Immigrations official website.

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I suggest you wade through the post again and do it this time without being serious and please provide the official Thai Immigration website!

It's been supplied!

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Didn't feel like wading through the balance of your seemingly endless post. Much of it seems to confuse income with bank balances or bank deposits. They're not the same thing although in future,  deposits into a Thai bank may replace income verification.

"Even if I had the time and money to file a lawsuit and took it to their Supreme Court just to screw with the system ..."

Since you would have no basis for a lawsuit based on your flawed interpretation of immigration law and its application you wouldn't get beyond attempting to hire a lawyer willing to pursue frivolous litigation. This isn't America ... and even there the system would flush you out before your dreams of the Supreme Court would materialize.

"I will see you next year... she responded with a smile."

It was probably a grimace. They must be fed up with people kvetching about the income affidavit.

I went back to the US.Embassy website today and track down their noticed which has the reference Thai Immigration Website which is www. immigaration.go.thai

The reason I did this was to double check your remarks because something was just off?

Under Retirement  Line 4 it reads as followed.

" 3 months first year only. The applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to filing date "  

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You asked for Immigrations official website.

It's been supplied!

Thanks my apologies!  I wanted a response from the other poster who seem to took my original post too seriously plus I thought his response was a bit off so I wanted him to provide the website that the US Embassy provided in regards to their alert notice to Americans.  I went back and found it but the websites you provided are really in detailed thanks once again!  

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Under Retirement  Line 4 it reads as followed.

You seemed to of snipped some of it out.

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; "

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You seemed to of snipped some of it out.

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; "

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Ubongjoe,

Because you are the god of Immigration information I will let this go! ???? There are only two people that I take noticed when they speak I listen that is you on Immigration and my Mutual Fund adviser!????

So based on the above your take is?  After the first year application thereafter the money only has to be seasoned for 60 days or two months?

6 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

So based on the above your take is?  After the first year application thereafter the money only has to be seasoned for 60 days or two months?

That is not correct.

Sentence one states " On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months." That is for all extensions but the first one as this sentence states "For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; " that means the first one year extension.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct.

Sentence one states " On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months." That is for all extensions but the first one as this sentence states "For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; " that means the first one year extension.

Funny?  just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder I read it a bit differently but nice to know hope it never applies to me since the money I have it is for emergencies only and none have come up in 12 years.  Now, in Jomtien my coffee buddy told me last year he presented his bank statement of 800,000 plus the TO turn him away saying your account has no activity so he went back to the bank deposit 1000 baht and got a new letter for the TO. What is with that activity?????

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and myself are foreigners we both get retirement visas each of us need 800000 to show. Therefore we opened a joint bank account with at least 1.6 MB in it. Is that acceptable or must each of us needs his own account?

51 minutes ago, judax said:

My wife and myself are foreigners we both get retirement visas each of us need 800000 to show. Therefore we opened a joint bank account with at least 1.6 MB in it. Is that acceptable or must each of us needs his own account?

That is usually permitted.  But, be aware that one of you could get a retirement-extension with 800K Baht, and the other could get an extension as their spouse without any financial requirement.  This is often referred to in posts here as one spouse "piggy-backing" on the other's extension.