Where are you from ?

Thaiwrath

On 11/24/2018 at 2:34 PM, balo said:

Sorry to hear that , not the England I remember from the 80's .

When I lived there I did some extensive travelling and most people I met were fun to chat with and curious about my nationality. 

I have good memories not only from the Midlands, but Brighton, Southampton, Cornwall , Liverpool, Manchester and even some weird accents up in the north , I can't remember , some small towns I visited , nobody understood me , and I couldn't understand a word. :biggrin:

Muslims? I can't remember I spotted one. 

Must have been a bl..dy long time ago!

Sorry just re-read your post, it was a long time ago. Don't go back!

But where do you reign from?

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Born in Stevenage Herts , brought up in Essex , currently Chislehurst in kent.

I used to lunch in the nice pub on the green in Chislehurst when I worked for Balfour Beatty in Sidcup. Nice spot.

Ee by gum, the memories...

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, vogie said:

The only haulage company I knew he worked for was the one on Canal Rd, Clarks Transport. I did get pulled in my car in Keighley to see if I had a Geordie accent and was in the Black Bull in Haworth when they played the infamous ripper tape. But sadly the very first of his victims was in Silsden and the woman survived and gave the police a nearly exact photofit of him, but they dismissed it.

The police checked my step fathers car for tyre tread on an old Austin Cambridge related to the ripper case. Small world!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

I was born in North Harrow, used to watch the Wasps when they played in Sudbury.

Lived in Watford 20 odd years then sold up and bought a wee house in the Highlands

20 miles from Fort William.

Jees, we could have been neighbours. I worked in HRC and lived in Inverness for 3 years, nearly bought a place on a remote plot near Fort Augustus, but wife dragged me back to Yorkshire to be near to MIL - suffice to say that didn't last!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tofer said:

I used to lunch in the nice pub on the green in Chislehurst when I worked for Balfour Beatty in Sidcup. Nice spot.

Ee by gum, the memories...

Probably the Tigers Head , good grub. Half a dozen pubs on or about Chislehurst Common , makes an enjoyable crawl in the summer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tofer said:

I worked on the new extension to Rawthorpe Secondary school for Abbey Hanson Rowe & Ptnrs, came to do a site inspection one day and you b.gg..s had burnt the place down almost!

When was that?

I had a small business nearby (moldgreen) and had a friend who was quantity surveyor for Abbey hanson rowe

1 hour ago, slappy said:

When was that?

I had a small business nearby (moldgreen) and had a friend who was quantity surveyor for Abbey hanson rowe

About 44/45 years ago. I was at Abbeys between 1972 - 1976.

what was his name?

Edited by Tofer

I was born in Fort William and raised in the village of Caol, about 5 miles away (pronounced 'Cool', which would be have been funny if it wasn't so depressed in the 70s and 80s). Caol was, at that time, renowned to be the largest village in the UK - not exactly a claim to fame, more an acknowledgement of a large number of shoddily built council houses placed around very few amenities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I was born in Fort William and raised in the village of Caol, about 5 miles away (pronounced 'Cool', which would be have been funny if it wasn't so depressed in the 70s and 80s). Caol was, at that time, renowned to be the largest village in the UK - not exactly a claim to fame, more an acknowledgement of a large number of shoddily built council houses placed around very few amenities. 

You live/lived in a beautifull part of the world. Did you ever get out and up the Munros. We've stopped at the Clachaig Hotel at Glen Coe a few times but never did the infamous Aonach Eagach ridge walk opposite the Hotel. Climbed many Monros in Scotland, one of my favourite holiday destinations, but the west coast was famous for its rain. Best whiskey distillary Glen Turret.

Included is part of Muriel Grays 'The Munro Show' never missed a show, infact my wife bought me the whole series on VHS. A very entertaining lady, she says there are parts of the ridge walk where you need a 'man with a beard' and refers to midges as 'cleggies'

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Stop complaining. I built you a nice new fire station back in those days when I worked in Highland Regional Council...

The one in Claggan? I believe it is gone now, with a new station at Blar Mhor. Things are probably looking very different since you were last there. There is, according to my mother, even an M&S in the town now. 

45 minutes ago, vogie said:

You live/lived in a beautifull part of the world. Did you ever get out and up the Munros. We've stopped at the Clachaig Hotel at Glen Coe a few times but never did the infamous Aonach Eagach ridge walk opposite the Hotel. Climbed many Monros in Scotland, one of my favourite holiday destinations, but the west coast was famous for its rain. Best whiskey distillary Glen Turret.

Included is part of Muriel Grays 'The Munro Show' never missed a show, infact my wife bought me the whole series on VHS. A very entertaining lady, she says there are parts of the ridge walk where you need a 'man with a beard' and refers to midges as 'cleggies'

Indeed it is a beautiful part of the country - but it felt so remote when I was a kid. I always longed to live in a big city where 'things that mattered' were taking place.

I wasn't a very outdoors kid but during my apprenticeship we got sent on a week's Outward Bound course so I did my first Munro at 17, hiking up Carn Dearg under the leadership of an old guy who had been the first Brit to climb Mt McKinley in Alaska. Despite being in his 70s at the time, he was supremely confident as he led this unwilling gang of spotty youths through the snow up a Scottish hill. I wish I could say that it awoke in me a passion for mountaineering but it took another 20 years before I made Munro number 2, Ben Nevis.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Indeed it is a beautiful part of the country - but it felt so remote when I was a kid. I always longed to live in a big city where 'things that mattered' were taking place.

I wasn't a very outdoors kid but during my apprenticeship we got sent on a week's Outward Bound course so I did my first Munro at 17, hiking up Carn Dearg under the leadership of an old guy who had been the first Brit to climb Mt McKinley in Alaska. Despite being in his 70s at the time, he was supremely confident as he led this unwilling gang of spotty youths through the snow up a Scottish hill. I wish I could say that it awoke in me a passion for mountaineering but it took another 20 years before I made Munro number 2, Ben Nevis.

I have met Scots whilst on holiday in various parts of the world, and they are unaware of what they have got in their back garden, shame.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have met Scots whilst on holiday in various parts of the world, and they are unaware of what they have got in their back garden, shame.

Having lived in both Dover and Canterbury I was amazed at how many locals had never set foot in the Castle or Cathedral despite being able to see them since birth.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The one in Claggan? I believe it is gone now, with a new station at Blar Mhor. Things are probably looking very different since you were last there. There is, according to my mother, even an M&S in the town now. 

I expect it is, it was an awful long time ago that I was disturbing the peace in that neck of the woods. 

Got to say though, I absolutely loved the Highlands. I spent many happy days driving and flying around the beautiful countryside for work, had a lot of fun and met a lot of super friendly people.

Very fond memories of my time spent there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slappy said:

This was about 20 years ago, but is name was Alan Hunt

Way too late for me. I stopped calling in to say hello to old colleagues over 35 years ago.

I'll bet if we kept this going long enough someone we actually know from our travels will pop up on this post, excluding the obvious friends in Thailand.

• Thanks 1