Thailand Traffic Law - Who Has Right-of-Way?

Banana7

21 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I think in America there is the Jaywalking law that states you cannot walk out into moving traffic.

You should visit New York ????  But at least in New York you have a reasonable assumption that the cars will stop for you  - maybe give you a one-finger salute or honk, but still stop.   

In Thailand, I would not always count on cars stopping - some will, some won't, just takes time to get the gut feeling who will.  And then you have the motorbikes which accelerate between stopped cars to run you over (even on a cross walk)

Edited by Miami007
added content
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Miami007 and Seancbk.

I am just stating the laws , if people don't stick to them that is not my problem . 

I have been to New York , and I agree with you.

Not sure what the law in the US has to do with Thailand.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Because somebody posted about pedestrians having the right of way in any country or something to that effect. So I just added to it.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NE1 said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Because somebody posted about pedestrians having the right of way in any country or something to that effect. So I just added to it.

OK.  I hope you realise it is much easier for people to know what you are responding to if you quote the other person.   

• Haha 1

The pedestrian has the right of way at all times, but this is Thailand.

As far as most Thai drivers are concerned, there is no such thing as right of way.

anyone who want's to accuse me of Thai bashing, go right ahead, I am only stating things as I see them.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:08 PM, CanuckThai said:

Are you Thai or "other"...  All "others" must yield (wallets, land, vehicles, common sense, etc, etc)

Please do not mention common sense where most Thai drivers are concerned. I won't mention "others" as that would be going off topic.

• Haha 1

In general terms, and to paraphrase the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson, there are two types of obstacles on the roads:- "squishy things" and "crunchy things".

"Squishy things" (pedestrians, dogs, policemen, etc.) are fair game and no great effort need be made to avoid hitting them.

"Crunchy things" (cyclists, motorbikes, cars, trucks, buses, tanks, in ascending order of potential for "difficulties", require slightly more thought, but not to the extent of actually giving way.......ever!

It should however be noted that if you are farang it is automatically your fault....even if you are just a witness.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Danthai said:

If your new in Thailand you will realize that there us no observed traffic rules. Thais drive anyway and how they want. Pass on hills, curves, double yellow line. Don't stop at side roads. Don't use turn signals or turn on car lights when they should. Swing left to make a right turn. Go through red lights I only post this for anyone new driving in Thailand. It took a year of driving 20 years ago to try to make sense of their driving. And heaven forbid your in a traffic circle. Most Thais do not know who has right of way in a traffic circle. Everyone, please be very careful this coming holiday session.

My GF drives in Dubai when she visits. There are lots of roundabouts. Couple a Thai who has no clue as to where what or how to approach and leave a roundabout with the local idiots. I have kittens every time we come to one. 

4 hours ago, NE1 said:

Jaywalking is not crossing the road at a corner or designated pedestrian crossing, ie... in the middle of the roadway.

9 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

We know everyone in Thailand knows and follows the traffic laws and rules, right?  I look out for my own self rather than relying on what rules and laws state, especially in Thailand.

That's not the point. He asked who has the right away by the law. Even in USA not everybody follow rules and laws. There are always ignorant people, some countries have more some less.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, farang62 said:

Kind of universal The pedestrian has the Right of Way!

I think you are right. I was discussing traffic rules with some Thai friends who have been to Europe and/or the US.  They agreed that Thai law has similar right-of way laws as does  the western world; they just don't observe them.

The reason we were discussing traffic right of way was because in Hatyai the road department had just added several small traffic circles--not rounding-out the road, just adding a small circle in the middle of a busy intersection. At each of these circles was a sign posted in Thai and English saying, "Yield to vehicles in the circle"  One afternoon, I sat on my motorcycle in  one of those circles for several minutes pointing at that "Yield" sign; no one stopped.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sencelebi said:

That's not the point. He asked who has the right away by the law. Even in USA not everybody follow rules and laws. There are always ignorant people, some countries have more some less.

Say that the next time you try to cross the road because you have the right of way and you get plowed under by a big truck that doesn't care about the law.  The point is, that regardless of what the law states I always look before and while crossing a road.  I don't assume I have the right of way because a law says I do.  The same goes for my driving skills. I assume someone else just does not care what the rules say. But, do what you want and say what you want.  It's not about how much "ignorance" is in Thailand, it's about how much "I don't care" is in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 3:11 PM, Banana7 said:

Yes, you are correct.

If thats what you think you can do just because you have the right of way, then you Sir/Ma'am are exactly what your avatar says you are a "Banana' or an idiot in english.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:45 AM, NE1 said:

I think in America there is the Jaywalking law that states you cannot walk out into moving traffic.

True, but if someone hits you, even while Jaywalking they are dead wrong.  Ask my nephew, he tried that defense after he hit a man carrying groceries across the street to his car, even though there was a crosswalk 50 yards down the road, he went to jail for 3-7 years for vehicular assault in the State of Kentucky USA.

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

If thats what you think you can do just because you have the right of way, then you Sir/Ma'am are exactly what your avatar says you are a "Banana' or an idiot in english.

Why make up things? "If thats what you think you can do just because you have the right of way"

Nobody said that, the question was simply about right of way, not about the way it is used.

• Like 1

If you are a foreigner then Thai's have the right of way. If there are two Thai's involved then the one with the nicer vehicle has the right away. If the vehicles are the same then it is the one with the more important name or connections that has the right away. There you go. 

• Sad 1

On 11/28/2018 at 11:04 AM, seancbk said:

Good job we are not in America then.   What would you do on a crosswalk with no lights and where cars won't stop unless you walk out?

walk half a mile to a crosswalk with lights of course ! 
where one will find out that cars indeed do stop,
sometimes,
but then do not wait for the green light.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:36 PM, rvaviator said:

In the land of the automobile - walking to get from a to b is a relative new concept ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A to B, like house to car, store to car, office to car, are all common walks. Any longer walks are usually reserved for exercise and sports, or city dwellers without personal transport and no cab or bus fare. 

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why make up things? "If thats what you think you can do just because you have the right of way"

Nobody said that, the question was simply about right of way, not about the way it is used.

I was answering the poster's response to this question:

Am I getting this right, are you actually asking if you have the right to hitting a pedestrian? Gosh, are you thai?

to which he answered:

You are correct

to which I answered:

If thats what you think you can do just because you have the right of way, then you Sir/Ma'am are exactly what your avatar says you are a "Banana' or an idiot in english

Maybe you should read the original post before responding haphazardly, I don't make things up, no need too, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

Almost in every country pedestrians have the right away. if there is a traffic light for them or not. Except on highways.
Except in reality in Thailand !
Pedestrians look left, look right,look up, look down, look front, look behind....look out !!
  • Haha 1