Poll shows Pheu Thai's Sudarat beats PM Prayut as most favoured candidate for prime minister

webfact

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

A good enough reason to find an arms cache and postpone the election.

It would be particularly innovative if one was to be found at the bottom of her garden - then no reasonable person could be in any doubt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You can call me overly optimistic, but I think the junta is going to get slaughtered in the upcoming election. The army has to go. A friend of mine was recently at the Moto GP EVENT in Buriram. He said when the guy who promoted the event, I believe it was Tanaisiri Chanvitayarom, Managing Director at Buriram Circuit, got up to give a short speech he got a standing ovation for doing such a great job. The crowd was very enthusiastic, and many reported it was an exceptionally well run event. 

Then Prawit stood up to give a speech. Nearly the entire 100,000 people in attendance jeered, cursed, booed and cajoled him. He could not be heard. He cut his speech short and sat down humiliated. This is how the majority of the nation feels about these utter fools. Their time has come and gone. Get out. Get out now. You are not liked, wanted or popular. Your fake polls are not convincing anyone. Four years is enough. 

It's Buriram. What do you expect?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Poll shows Pheu Thai's Sudarat beats PM Prayut as most favoured candidate for prime minister

Once the official date is announced, no surprise that the EC might suspend Sudarat as a PM candidate pending a suspicion of violating the Political Act and/or election laws. According to the new Constitution 'suspicion' is the only requirement and there's no specified time to resolve a suspicion. But it would be convenient if it's after the election closes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It's Buriram. What do you expect?

I think it is indicative of how the nation feels, as a whole. I do think the army is truly despised by the vast majority of the Thai people. We shall see quite soon. I predict a whomping at the polls. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You can call me overly optimistic, but I think the junta is going to get slaughtered in the upcoming election. The army has to go. A friend of mine was recently at the Moto GP EVENT in Buriram. He said when the guy who promoted the event, I believe it was Tanaisiri Chanvitayarom, Managing Director at Buriram Circuit, got up to give a short speech he got a standing ovation for doing such a great job. The crowd was very enthusiastic, and many reported it was an exceptionally well run event. 

Then Prawit stood up to give a speech. Nearly the entire 100,000 people in attendance jeered, cursed, booed and cajoled him. He could not be heard. He cut his speech short and sat down humiliated. This is how the majority of the nation feels about these utter fools. Their time has come and gone. Get out. Get out now. You are not liked, wanted or popular. Your fake polls are not convincing anyone. Four years is enough. 

A dilemma for Newin and BJT. I am sure his heart is to support the junta and pave the way for more riches but his mind may signal political suicide for not listening to his people.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is indicative of how the nation feels, as a whole. I do think the army is truly despised by the vast majority of the Thai people. We shall see quite soon. I predict a whomping at the polls. 

Mrs Connda is pro-junta; the step-kids are not - they're more in line with Prathet Guu Mee.  Not sure they have a party they support yet.  The junta's done a slam-up job disenfranchising Thai youth.

It will be interesting.

Everyone seems to be missing the point here.  The poll and any poll on the selection of the next pm is totally irrelevant.  The next pm is selected by the fully appointed senate, 50 of which are appointed by the NCPO.

The new pm doesn't even have to be part of any political party.  The public have no say in the matter.  Also, as the lower house is elected using proportional representation, it's unlikely any party will have a majority.  Any action by the lower house can be 'shot down' by the senate who are controlled by the military.

It's a case of 'Vote for any government you like, but it won't change anything.  The military will still pull the strings'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why do you think that? I don't see how forming a conclusion on the basis of views from one particular political heartland makes much sense.

Go to Bangkok, the South or P'loke and you will get another set of views - some very positive for the Junta.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

Only days after the former head of the NIDA poll stops running the organization and joins Prayut's political party, Prayut is no longer the number one choice "of the people".

Double hmm...

What an amazing and remarkable coincidence.

Agreed. Very odd. Most peculiar Mama.

Are the 2 things connected perhaps?

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Everyone seems to be missing the point here.  The poll and any poll on the selection of the next pm is totally irrelevant.  The next pm is selected by the fully appointed senate, 50 of which are appointed by the NCPO.

The new pm doesn't even have to be part of any political party.  The public have no say in the matter.  Also, as the lower house is elected using proportional representation, it's unlikely any party will have a majority.  Any action by the lower house can be 'shot down' by the senate who are controlled by the military.

It's a case of 'Vote for any government you like, but it won't change anything.  The military will still pull the strings'

You understand it well.

The election is just a show. After the election the senate will simply appoint Prayut as PM plain and simple to discuss how it will come out is a waste of time. That will be the end result.

There will be an election some time. After all is said and done when time to decide on new Pm the senate will appoint Prayut.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

You understand it well.

The election is just a show. After the election the senate will simply appoint Prayut as PM plain and simple to discuss how it will come out is a waste of time. That will be the end result.

There will be an election some time. After all is said and done when time to decide on new Pm the senate will appoint Prayut.

Probably..

But they may have a problem.

Actually it is obvious that they do have a problem-hence all the backing and filling.

9 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Wait for it... wait for it... a bomb explodes in Bangkok.... postponing the election. I hope not, but someone does not feel any remorse in killing a few innocents to gain an advantage.

Or Sutep start provoke some violence again !!!?

15 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

You understand it well.

Prayut as new PM or even involve in future politics is still murky. He and the privy council don’t pull the string now. If he hold on to power for another 4 years, he will be seen as a threat by him. Looks like his rhetoric about his political future has tone down and he still has not decide on party affiliation. Like he has been told to drop his ambition and he dutifully obeyed. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Prayut as new PM or even involve in future politics is still murky. He and the privy council don’t pull the string now. If he hold on to power for another 4 years, he will be seen as a threat by him. Looks like his rhetoric about his political future has tone down and he still has not decide on party affiliation. Like he has been told to drop his ambition and he dutifully obeyed. 

Hmmm. Maybe. I wonder about the considerable beefing up of the military might of the big house. But then I remember all the bits of undoing of the changes since 1932 that have been going on. I'm sure there is a strategy to it all, but it's Thai, so by definition it's far too clever for me to understand, I'm just a stupid foreigner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

Only days after the former head of the NIDA poll stops running the organization and joins Prayut's political party, Prayut is no longer the number one choice "of the people".

Double hmm...

What an amazing and remarkable coincidence.

Triple hmmmmm...

Another poll.

The greater percentage are really suckers for such promoted entities. 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt it. I think they know this may be the last hurrah. One important thing to remember. In most of the previous coups, there was a moral authority blessing and condoning it. Not the case now. Not on any level. Things have changed big time. The army knows that. 

Their next attempt could turn very nasty. 

Your succinct commentary might hold a key, Mike....

The evolved atmosphere has changed significantly. 

Paradigm shift. 

Outsiders aren't really paying attention. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt it. I think they know this may be the last hurrah. One important thing to remember. In most of the previous coups, there was a moral authority blessing and condoning it. Not the case now. Not on any level. Things have changed big time. The army knows that. 

Their next attempt could turn very nasty. 

Well, if you're right (and I personally would very much like you to be right), then we can expect to see a single action which will rain on Mr Prayut's parade, There's a reason for the immense bolstering the security of the big house and the consolidation of the shekels under the control of a single person, and I doubt either will be for the benefit of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Your succinct commentary might hold a key, Mike....

The evolved atmosphere has changed significantly. 

Paradigm shift. 

Outsiders aren't really paying attention. 

Hope you're both right, but there's a sense in which 'not waving, drowning' might be apt. Personally, I believe that false dawns are just that - false, and relying upon any Thai to do the right thing for someone else is a fool's errand.

Or not. I guess we'll see, but I'm personally not hopeful. All power ultimately derives from the number of people prepared to follow your instructions, and if you start with a 300,000 thickos and then beat all individuality out of them, that gives you quite a lot of mindless drones to call on. Besides, I suspect there's quite a lot of the brighter mindless drones who resent the new haircuts (I sure as hell would) and puffer-fish salutes. Being made to look ridiculous doesn't exactly endear you - even to thickos.

But what os the role of PT and Sudarat? Also-rans?

5 hours ago, HalfLight said:

If the junta does not win, they'll just run another coup.

Depressing though that thought is, I think I'd be prepared to put money on it and the Somchai in the street will probably figger "hell, if we toss them out then they and their sponsor will just put tanks on the streets'.

Heads they win, tails you lose kind of a thing really.

Fear is a huge factor.  That is the problem with Thailand.  Under educated and fearful plays into the junta's hands.  The lack education will only perpetuate under the junta.  English being at a low is a sign.  Fear is why they enjoy the level support they have now.