Man dies while eating at restaurant

webfact

Man dies while eating at restaurant

By The Nation

fb1c156c47b26a89ab2d0d48832b915a.jpeg

An elderly man died while having a meal with his relative at MK Restaurant in Pathum Thani on Sunday.

However, the cause of 66-year-old Suthep Sarakul’s death remains unknown. 

“After nearly an hour in our restaurant, it seems like he had hiccups or had choked on something. We rushed to him and quickly found a wheelchair as requested by his relative," the restaurant’s assistant manager said. 

The surviving relative, who is scheduled to leave for the US soon, said Suthep had travelled from Chon Buri to visit him in Pathum Thani. 

“We then decided to enjoy lunch together. Actually, he had been eating normally before developing hiccups and seizures. So, I tried to get a wheelchair and rush him to a hospital,” he said. “But he died before I could make it to the hospital." 

Suthep's body has been sent to Thammasat Hospital for an autopsy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359714

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-03
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, mok199 said:

No one tried to remove the food from his throat when he began choking,they all just stood around and watched him choke !!!

from the description in the article it doesn't seem to have been a simple obstruction

Nobody tried the Heimlich manouver. He was not elderly, 'hiccups or choked on something' is the description which is a strong indication that timely application of this simple manouver could well have resulted in him being with us today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

No one tried to remove the food from his throat when he began choking,they all just stood around and watched him choke !!!

In a country where first aid awareness in the public is about as common as rocking horse s**t!!

And don't even mention the Heimlich maneuver!!

I eat at this Food Chain on a regular basis. GREAT RESTAURANT! GREAT FOOD! More than reasonably priced!

Why would they name the restaurant in this article? It has nothing to do with this man's health!

Edited by Rovin

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

And theres always that one post , that criticises all the other posts in the thread .

Someone always gets angry about all the other posts and tells the other posters off

And then there is always one who criticises the criticiser. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I wouldn't say 66 was elderly.........or is that because I am rushing up to it too fast....

R.I.P. to the Gentleman.

Anyone above 50 is an elderly. They should start getting ready for the inevitable.

• Haha 1

No...why would anyone help when they were busy taking pictures?

Wonder if the poor bloke choked when he saw the bill?

I eat at this Food Chain on a regular basis. GREAT RESTAURANT! GREAT FOOD! More than reasonably priced!

Why would they name the restaurant in this article? It has nothing to do with this man's health!

It will now likely be haunted and so best avoided.

Maybe to give you a feel of the quality of the patrons and service staff of this restaurant?  

Even though there is no concrete evidence that concludes the actual cause of death here, it is possible that the fellow died of asphyxiation from choking. It has almost happened to me...twice...and each time from choking on a small piece of beefsteak.  Each time, one of my dining partners knew exactly how to administer the Heimlich Maneuver and saved my life. The first time was in Melbourne, Australia.  My colleague, an active US Army Special Forces reservist, was trained in the Heimlich Maneuver and immediately, forcefully saved me. The most recent occasion was in Chiang Mai about seven years ago.  I realized I was choking and gestured at my (Thai) wife, pointing to my throat and then standing up and turning around...using my arms to demonstrate to her how to help me. By God, she did the right move and the obstruction popped clear.  What I clearly remember was that in this crowded restaurant, not one person came forward to help me.  They were transfixed by the scene and had not a clue as to what was needed to save a life. And yes, before readers spare their energies stating the obvious...I am really, really careful now when eating meat. The moral here...I ask that we don’t make this 66-year old Thai man’s death a trivial or amusing matter.  It’s not funny at all and a tragedy has now fallen on his family. Instead of making light on the occasion, please take the time to teach someone close to you how to save your life or the life of anyone experiencing a choking incident. 

• Like 1