The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

All the stats say that we battered them but that doesn't tell the full story. Villa defended very well and got lucky too many times. We also had a bit of luck but really, overall we deserved that win

And don't forget football lovers. "New phase of play" ???? Some of my United family and friends are going ballistic ????

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

All the stats say that we battered them but that doesn't tell the full story. Villa defended very well and got lucky too many times. We also had a bit of luck but really, overall we deserved that win

And don't forget football lovers. "New phase of play" ???? Some of my United family and friends are going ballistic ????

So you're happy to trot out possession stats after Liverpool v United but now the stats don't tell the full story.

Stats don't always tell the full story. So maybe you should consider that next time you turn into Mr Opta. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

So you're happy to trot out possession stats after Liverpool v United but now the stats don't tell the full story.

Stats don't always tell the full story. So maybe you should consider that next time you turn into Mr Opta. 

I have never said stats tell the full story. Please point me to a post in which I have said that. Stats tell you something about the game but not everything. i.e. it will tell you when a team are cowards and defend like they are in the Alamo and then get a lucky shot

Cowards is a strong word. If you genuinely think that I think it's sad. Typical English football fan rhetoric, led by the media. Tactics don't make juicy headlines so everything has to be put in a pantomime context... Cowards, heroes etc

Read Gazetta dello Sport etc and see how you can talk and debate about tactics without attaching childish rhetoric to it.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I was using the above as an example of what stats can tell you. I didn't mention United once in that post. But if you think the cap fits 

The team doesn't matter. You really think possession stats can indicate a team is 'cowards'. 

Here's a scenario for you... if two teams play out a draw, both have similar number of chances and both play good football, but one team has 65 per cent possession and the other 35 per cent.. in your way of thinking, does that automatically mean the team with more possession is the better team? 

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The team doesn't matter. You really think possession stats can indicate a team is 'cowards'. 

Here's a scenario for you... if two teams play out a draw, both have similar number of chances and both play good football, but one team has 65 per cent possession and the other 35 per cent.. in your way of thinking, does that automatically mean the team with more possession is the better team? 

What that scenario tells me is that you keep on using United's game plan against big teams to try and justify their style of defending. Oh sorry, you didn't mention United did you. But we know who you mean ????

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

What that scenario tells me is that you keep on using United's game plan against big teams to try and justify their style of defending. Oh sorry, you didn't mention United did you. But we know who you mean ????

Is football only about possession? Not also about the chances  and excitement you create?

I'm asking your opinion 

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Is football only about possession? Not also about the chances  and excitement you create?

I'm asking your opinion 

You're mis-quoting me again. I have never said football is only about possession. I have also never said that stats tell the full story.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

You're mis-quoting me again. I have never said football is only about possession. I have also never said that stats tell the full story.

I never quoted you either time. I'm asking the question.

After a game that ended a draw with both sides having a similar number if good chances, you used possession to demonstrate which had been the better side. Is that right or did I misunderstand?

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Looks like you've swallowed. Shame we can't have a mature discussion about tactics. Guess that might be beyond your capabilities.

People do have lives you know. I've been in Saudi 13 years and leave in about 8 weeks. I have a 4 bedroom house that my Mrs has left me to sort out with either selling, giving away or taking to Thailand. I'm on a brew break now and I'm not gonna waste it going round in circles with your view or non view on stats.

My final say on it is stats give you a lot of information but don't necessarily tell the full story

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

People do have lives you know. I've been in Saudi 13 years and leave in about 8 weeks. I have a 4 bedroom house that my Mrs has left me to sort out with either selling, giving away or taking to Thailand. I'm on a brew break now and I'm not gonna waste it going round in circles with your view or non view on stats.

My final say on it is stats give you a lot of information but don't necessarily tell the full story

It's almost as if you are suggesting there's more important things in life than the TVF ... OK fair enough ????

I'm on the comp for work and it's a welcome distraction from the grind. That's my excuse. 

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Let’s hope they got some work for you soon eh

Im my own boss... And thankfully doing OK despite the pandemic ????

.... Despite having work to do I'm good at planting distractions for myself though

I caught a bit of Moyesie's press conference before. Was quite an upbeat affair. 

Well played Cheltenham. Gave us a bit of a scare there. Pitch was good and we had a strong side out so there would have been no excuses. Did think a few tackles were to 2nd division standard and wouldn't have got away with them if VAR was in use. 

Swansea up next

Wonder if Man U can almost do a giant killing later or will they just defend again. One off match, so someone has to win

On 1/23/2021 at 1:03 AM, jellydog said:

For Forks sake. A bit of a needle in the City balloon.

Does KDB ever put a run of games together without injury?

That's 2 of the genuine 'great' players in the EPL out.

27 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

What's a Chapeau? You mean house (Chateau). If so, we built that quite a few years ago in Chaiyaphum

Sorry, sorry...it's a term used in the cycling world which is creeping in to general usage for "I take my hat off to you / well done / respect"

So I meant well done, respect, working in Saudi 13 years. Are you in construction engineering?

39 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sorry, sorry...it's a term used in the cycling world which is creeping in to general usage for "I take my hat off to you / well done / respect"

So I meant well done, respect, working in Saudi 13 years. Are you in construction engineering?

Aaah right. Thought it was a spelling mistake ????

It's not been too hard to be honest. Live on a fantastic compound with everything you need, including a great international school. Think the good times (money wise) is steadily going down. GLad I came here when I did rather than just coming out now.

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Well played Cheltenham. Gave us a bit of a scare there. Pitch was good and we had a strong side out so there would have been no excuses. Did think a few tackles were to 2nd division standard and wouldn't have got away with them if VAR was in use. 

Swansea up next

Wonder if Man U can almost do a giant killing later or will they just defend again. One off match, so someone has to win

Depends on what mood Ollydyce is in. You would think after the previous game and how Brom turned them over they would go for the jugular as there confidence must be an all time low. 

Archived