The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's all fair enough, but it brings it home again that you have by far the smallest fan base in the top 6.

If you ever win the Champions League I think you'll be the smallest club ever to do so. With the possible exception of Feyenoord in 1970.

It is obviously really grating at the RAG's that a tiny club like ours is overshadowing yours 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It is obviously really grating at the RAG's that a tiny club like ours is overshadowing yours 

We all know how you've got there though, it's not exactly been a Leicester style fairytale.

And overshadowed is the wrong word, there is still more attention on us whether we are doing well or not.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

We all know how you've got there though, it's not exactly been a Leicester style fairytale.

Yeah and you lot have never spent money have you!! You've been breaking transfer records and wages for as long as I care to remember. Pure jealousy and a pathetic argument. You just can't stand other clubs being at the top table like it's your god given right to be the only English club dining with the rest of the European elite. #nosespushedoutofjoint

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah and you lot have never spent money have you!! You've been breaking transfer records and wages for as long as I care to remember. Pure jealousy and a pathetic argument. You just can't stand other clubs being at the top table like it's your god given right to be the only English club dining with the rest of the European elite. #nosespushedoutofjoint

You're not in the European elite until you win the premier competition in Europe.

But with your small time attitude it doesn't look like the fans will help.... BB says he isn't bothered about winning the CL! 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But with your small time attitude it doesn't look like the fans will help.... BB says he isn't bothered about winning the CL! 

No he didn't say that (and neither did I). We both agree that it would be great to win the CL but if we had to choose whether winning either the Prem or CL, we'd sooner win the Prem.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You're not in the European elite until you win the premier competition in Europe.

And if we did win it, that would really grate wouldn't it. It'd be your biggest nightmare. Either that or Liverpool winning the prem 2 more times

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

To say you are not interested in winning the european cup is simply childish nonsense but how unearth can you say City are not one of the elite when they are second favorites to win it?!!!

You sound like a RAG that simply can't accept you support a fallen giant, neither that the power shift in manchester is absolutely total now and not likely to change in any near future.  Teams go to the Eithihad with nothing more than a slim hope of a point, yet go to OT looking for three points.  I'm sure you remember to days when this scenario was quite the opposite but you do seem to need reminding.

Hearing some United fans talking about football is starting to sound like the Good Old Days.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

No final is easy Ronnie. I remember Wigan

That was more about how City contrived to lose it.  Anyway, as you well know, you have absolutely no business either losing to Watford or letting it get particularly competitive, such is the gulf in talent the two sides. Reality.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

That was more about how City contrived to lose it.  Anyway, as you well know, you have absolutely no business either losing to Watford or letting it get particularly competitive, such is the gulf in talent the two sides. Reality.

Lambs to the slaughter that.

Unlike the three games against us where City will be put under some pressure....its a question of whether we can sustain that over 90 mins when they bring on top players with half an hour left and our bench is thin.

A tough fortnight coming for us.

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Lambs to the slaughter that.

Unlike the three games against us where City will be put under some pressure....its a question of whether we can sustain that over 90 mins when they bring on top players with half an hour left and our bench is thin.

A tough fortnight coming for us.

Most certainly. We need to win the first leg 3-0???? to have a chance to go through,  and then we need the three points against Huddersfield and i note that some of the chasing pack have some tricky fixtures.

Edited by carmine

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Of course we should beat them on paper. Can't remember who said it but football isn't played on paper. Never take a game as a given, or complacency will beat you

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course we should beat them on paper. Can't remember who said it but football isn't played on paper. Never take a game as a given, or complacency will beat you

Yes, its possible you could lose but aside of a case of food poisoning its high on impossible to visualize.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

You've just had a week off. Ours is a tougher-er month ????

Yet both times i've watched City recently they've won easily, in second gear and look like they are saving themselves for, erm, us!!!!  I really don't like the sound of that!

One hope is that possibly some of your world class midfield might be rusty having been rested too much!????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

That's all fair enough, but it brings it home again that you have by far the smallest fan base in the top 6.

If you ever win the Champions League I think you'll be the smallest club ever to do so. With the possible exception of Feyenoord in 1970.

I'd love to see the basis of that Rick, please post it for us.

Fan base. How do you put figure to the notional idea of a clubs fanbase. Is a fan someone who just says he supports a club, or someone who used to go or someone who goes? Whats manu's fanbase total?

Fans through the turnstile you can calculate - and on that basis City are the 3rd highest attended of the top 6 (see link below).

https://www.soccerstats.com/attendance.asp?league=england

And what is the basis of your comment on we'd be the smallest club to win the CL (European Cup and CL or just CL)? Do you mean club with lowest average attendance (support), or finances or trophies?

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Not sure i ever used the word 'bothered. Just so you are clear, I would rather win the PL than the CL. 

16 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not sure i ever used the word 'bothered. Just so you are clear, I would rather win the PL than the CL. 

If you aren't willing to prioritise the CL, don't talk about the European elite. 

Actually I'm glad you have that attitude. It shows that you know your place. 

Just now, RickG16 said:

If you aren't willing to prioritise the CL, don't talk about the European elite. 

Actually I'm glad you have that attitude. It shows that you know your place. 

Believe it was you who mentioned 'european elite', not us.

I also never said we should prioritise winning the PL over the CL; i said "I would rather win the PL than the CL". 

If City win the PL and beat ManU in all games that season then I'm  a very happy BB and you can keep your CL and European elite ????

21 hours ago, RickG16 said:

What's all this about City having to return some of their ticket allocation for the FA Cup semi............

Here's an interesting one. A ManU Semi-final against local rivals Oldham got less than a league game at Old Trafford these days. 

FA Cup Semi final  

Manchester United 1 v 1 Oldham Athletic, 10 April 1994

Wembley Stadium Capacity 82,000

Attendance 56,399

Tv kickoff times and Wembley wanting semifinal games need looking in to.

Fans of all 92 clubs should be outraged the way it's done these days.

1. Semifinals should be, as they used to be, as close to halfway between the two clubs, not in london for 2 manchester clubs (replay was at Maine Road). Why should northern clubs have the 'wembley tax' of having to travel further at greater expense than fans of southern  clubs?

2. Kickoffs should be at times which allow the fans a chance of getting home. Recent Caraboa cup, my family members missed the cup lifting celebrations as the game ran late and they had to get to euston for the last train. Not right.

What do you lot reckon?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Tv kickoff times and Wembley wanting semifinal games need looking in to.

Fans of all 92 clubs should be outraged the way it's done these days.

1. Semifinals should be, as they used to be, as close to halfway between the two clubs, not in london for 2 manchester clubs (replay was at Maine Road). Why should northern clubs have the 'wembley tax' of having to travel further at greater expense than fans of southern  clubs?

2. Kickoffs should be at times which allow the fans a chance of getting home. Recent Caraboa cup, my family members missed the cup lifting celebrations as the game ran late and they had to get to euston for the last train. Not right.

What do you lot reckon?

No sane person would disagree with any of that whoever you support. 

It’s one of the reasons the FA Cup Final has lost its appeal for many with so many games being played there now. As has been seen recently it can also give Southern sides an advantage not only in the match itself but in upcoming league/cup/European fixtures. 

City have an unlikely sympathiser for the semifinal 'ticket attack' of our fans from Red Macari. He's come out with:

"Manchester City fans took a lot of stick for leaving gaps in their seating for Saturday’s semi against Brighton.

But to be fair, because of that match, league games against Fulham and Crystal Palace, plus tonight’s Champions League tie at Tottenham, they are being asked to travel four times to London in the space of 15 days.

So how do we change the situation? The FA wants the revenue from Wembley semis and so the only way they will take notice is if the four clubs in next year’s semi-finals urge their fans to boycott the occasion so that common sense will eventually prevail."

Well said Lou Macari, that purveyor of mighty fine fish n chips.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, Kadilo said:

Good discussion on Radio 5 606 last night following the female presenter saying she thought the City fans were getting complacent. 

A female lifelong City fan phoned in and ripped her a new one. I think she said City have been in 19 Wembley finals in the past decade (please correct me if I’m wrong) and questioned like many of us why the Semi is held there anyways apart from the FA just being greedy. 

She said personally the day had cost her £200 and with another visit to London on Tuesday many just can’t afford it. Add to that the last train at 9pm and they were playing Brighton the whole package just weren’t attractive enough when you’re on a budget compared to upcoming games.  

To be honest the presenter tried to back track like hell but made herself look a complete chump. The lady calling in completely owned her. 

I would recommend everyone one of you watch/listen to the exchange. Kirsty Gallagher showing total disrespect to the lady City fan explaining things to her from a fan's  prespective. Ena, the City fan makes a lot of sense and totally rips Gallagher one.

Kirsty Gallacher sparks backlash with ‘complacent’ jibe at Manchester City fans

https://www.givemesport.com/1466825-kirsty-gallacher-sparks-backlash-with-complacent-jibe-at-manchester-city-fans?autoplay=on

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I would recommend everyone one of you watch/listen to the exchange. Kirsty Gallagher showing total disrespect to the lady City fan explaining things to her from a fan's  prespective. Ena, the City fan makes a lot of sense and totally rips Gallagher one.

Kirsty Gallacher sparks backlash with ‘complacent’ jibe at Manchester City fans

https://www.givemesport.com/1466825-kirsty-gallacher-sparks-backlash-with-complacent-jibe-at-manchester-city-fans?autoplay=on

Her and Savage have not done themselves any favours by appearing to mock the caller. 

I would be surprised if an apology doesnt follow soon. 

• Like 1