The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I called that right. We weren't good apart from 15 mins after HT before the goal. We never looked like scoring.

Not a good night for Pep I don’t think. Strange line up at the start and Subs far too late to make a difference. All seemed a little bizarre. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

He’s certainly helped give  you every chance 

I can only assume those players were not fit really....there is no other reason to leave those subs so late.

Happy days for us!

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I can only assume those players were not fit really....there is no other reason to leave those subs so late.

Happy days for us!

Something going on with Sane and Pep...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Happy days for us!

Hard to see how De Bruyne could only play a few minutes after his run out at the weekend, and Sane’s been in good form. Very odd. 

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Hard to see how De Bruyne could only play a few minutes after his run out at the weekend, and Sane’s been in good form. Very odd. 

I agree....it was very odd but disharmony in their squad is sweet music to me.

Where's mrboj and John Wayne?

Must be a big blue fence to paint tonight. :cheesy:

• Like 1

What a great game , I was nervous from the start. De Bruyne not playing was a bonus for us.  City never really looked dangerous, but we defended well. 

Will be a tough one at Etihad, probably no Kane,  we need to defend like crazy and hope for that important away goal.  

• Like 1

Strange from Pep. Is Bernardo injured ? Suspended ?

Didn't create enough chances which left it for Sonny to win.

I'd guess Kane will be out a while. Not a good sign when a player heads straight down the tunnel. And with his history of ankle problems as well.

2 hours ago, jellydog said:

Strange from Pep. Is Bernardo injured ? Suspended ?

Didn't create enough chances which left it for Sonny to win.

I'd guess Kane will be out a while. Not a good sign when a player heads straight down the tunnel. And with his history of ankle problems as well.

Reported Bernardo had a minor muscle problem during the last training session.

Think we can all agree that sometimes our managers substitutions are strange and usually too late. At the weekend against Brighton, after HT they were coming at us and our midfield three aren't defenders and couldn't cope; it was crying out for Fernandinho to come on - finally he did, but should have been earlier. Last night one of Gundogan or Silva had to be replaced by Kdb and I would have taken off Sterling (not been good of late since he became a media darling) for Sane FAR EARLIER and not on the 88th minute or whatever it was. Think managers are far too loyal to the 11 on the pitch and think they can do it, when sometimes the 11 on the pitch need a boost of a substitution or a tactical change.

Thought last night it was fairly even but Spurs looked more dangerous at the pointy end. Not looking so good for us.

6 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I agree....it was very odd but disharmony in their squad is sweet music to me.

Where's mrboj and John Wayne?

Must be a big blue fence to paint tonight. :cheesy:

I don't disappear painting fences Ronnie. I simply went to bed after the match as it's a school night.

Well done Spurs. All set up for a very interesting second leg

• Like 1

A lot of people on these threads criticise Mourinho, but he'd have gone more defensive in the away leg - nick an away goal if possible, but try to get away without  conceding - and then go for it in the home leg. Pep has to learn from that. It's not necessary to try to be attacking in every game. Two years back vs monaco we went away with a lead from the home leg and attacked from the off - NO, keep it tight  and go for a zero and if you go behind and need to then go on the attack.

Last night no way would  i have played Delph; coming back from injury and a liability this season. I'd have played Kompany vs Kane and Laporte at LB.

In midfield id have gone with a 4 with Gundogan and Fernandinho sitting and try and hit on the break; probably  have played without Aguro or Jesus and bring them on only if necessary. More difficult  that for defenders picking up Sterling Mahrez Silva and KbB (for Aguero) all changing positions.

I am NOT a lover of Sterling on the left - totally  wasted there.

Really like Pep but he can be a bit naive in his goal always of beautiful football which is why i don't  think we will ever win CL with him.

FA CUP FINAL

The FA have confirmed the kick-off time and ticket information for the 2019 FA Cup Final on Saturday 18 May 2019 at 17:00 BST (difficult for City fans to get home).

City will occupy the East end.

Ticket prices (ouch!)

Category 1          £145.00

Category 2          £115.00

Category 3          £70.00

Category 4          £45.00

Each team will receive only 28,000 tickets for fans.

34,000 tickets will be for neutrals (how can that be right!!!!).

A FARCE!

Hope the fans in the next seasons will join together and try to force the clubs to stop the FA from:

semis at Wembley, 

finals held at unreasonable kickoff times for fans outside greater london, and,

force bigger ticket allocations for the fans of the two finalists,

it could be done.

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

FA CUP FINAL

The FA have confirmed the kick-off time and ticket information for the 2019 FA Cup Final on Saturday 18 May 2019 at 17:00 BST (difficult for City fans to get home).

City will occupy the East end.

Ticket prices (ouch!)

Category 1          £145.00

Category 2          £115.00

Category 3          £70.00

Category 4          £45.00

Each team will receive only 28,000 tickets for fans.

34,000 tickets will be for neutrals (how can that be right!!!!).

A FARCE!

Hope the fans in the next seasons will join together and try to force the clubs to stop the FA from:

semis at Wembley, 

finals held at unreasonable kickoff times for fans outside greater london, and,

force bigger ticket allocations for the fans of the two finalists,

it could be done.

34,000 for neutrals, then they will be complaining how many end up with touts on the black market at elevated prices whilst true fans can’t get hold of a ticket. 

Edited by Kadilo

Never been convinced by Aguero at penalties, hardly a Yaya or Balotelli, whereas Gundogan always looks assured, and then i read that Aguero has converted just 3 out of 8 CL penalties and Gundogan 6 out of 6!

If Gundogan plays (and he's now one of Peps favourites) he should take them.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Never been convinced by Aguero at penalties, hardly a Yaya or Balotelli, whereas Gundogan always looks assured, and then i read that Aguero has converted just 3 out of 8 CL penalties and Gundogan 6 out of 6!

If Gundogan plays (and he's now one of Peps favourites) he should take them.

Agreed. Khun needs to hang up his penalty taking boots

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Agreed. Khun needs to hang up his penalty taking boots

No comment on the poor VAR decision then?

Oh and google keeps asking if I want to see a replay of the game...is it asking you as well? :tongue:

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

No comment on the poor VAR decision then?

Oh and google keeps asking if I want to see a replay of the game...is it asking you as well? :tongue:

I commented on it already  on t'Spurs thread. Same situation as Otamendi vs Schalke and PSG vs ManU and i don't recall anybody agreeing with me that it was a nonsense call. Seems the VAR call was correct and in line with eufa guidelines to refs in CL...go figure.

Don't know when the Player of the Season is, but I'm a bit bemused by all of this media talk about Sterling should win it. Sterling isn't even City's player of the year, that has to be Bernardo who has been absolutely brilliant and wherever he's played he's consistently been an 8 or 9/10. This guy sums up Bernardo perfectly:

Ask a Manchester City fan who's been their best player this season, and the chances are they won't say Raheem Sterling. It takes a special player to stand out in a special team; a special player who's capable of making fans feel like they haven't missed a man like Kevin De Bruyne at all.

So step forward Bernardo Silva, the winger-turned-central-midfielder who has filled the gaping De Bruyne void this term and made this remarkable team continue ticking. The stats – six goals, seven goals – are less outstanding than his consistency; the kind that means only Aymeric Laporte among outfielders has played more minutes for Pep Guardiola's side this term.

The greatest eulogy came from his manager. "I love him," said Guardiola. "Simple as that."

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/who-should-win-pfa-player-year-awards-season-fourfourtwo-writers-make-their-picks#07hZDJ2pFPCz2SsG.99

City’s FA Youth Cup final clash against Liverpool will take place at City's Academy Stadium on Thursday 25th April with kick-off at 7:45pm. The tie will also be shown live on BT Sport 1 from 7:30pm.

Liverpool's first final since losing 6v2 to Arsenal in 2008-09 (won it 1996, 2006, 2007; runner up 3 times).

City, beaten finalist by Chelsea in 2015, 2016 & 2017 (won it 1986, 2008; runner up 7 times - I was at the 1886 City 3 v 1 ManU final).

Chelsea not in the final fist time since 2011/12.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

City’s FA Youth Cup final clash against Liverpool will take place at City's Academy Stadium on Thursday 25th April with kick-off at 7:45pm. The tie will also be shown live on BT Sport 1 from 7:30pm.

Liverpool's first final since losing 6v2 to Arsenal in 2008-09 (won it 1996, 2006, 2007; runner up 3 times).

City, beaten finalist by Chelsea in 2015, 2016 & 2017 (won it 1986, 2008; runner up 7 times - I was at the 1886 City 3 v 1 ManU final).

Chelsea not in the final fist time since 2011/12.

This year is no longer a two-legged final as in the past.

Nice to see some familiar names in our youth team.

Goalkeeper Louie Moulden; son of ex-City goal scorer Paul Moulden. Dad is in the Guinness Book of Records for scoring 340 goals in a single season for Bolton Lads Club under-15s. 

Tommy Doyle; grandson of Glyn Pardoe (City's youngest ever 1st team debutant, 380 games during 1962-1976) and Mike Doyle (570 games during1965-1978). Doyle's son married Pardoe's daughter. While Foden is highly rated by the club, apparently Tommy Doyle (considered similar in playing style to Stevie 'the slip' G) is considered to be an even better prospect.

Other City kids in the academy are Uwe Rosler's son Colin (named after King Colin), a defender, and Shauney Wright Wright's son, D’Margio, a winger.

Any famous liverpool names in liverpool youth team?