The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

We had our defensive mid and 4th choice defender for most of last season at centre-back. You lads should be able to cope, or maybe not?? Pep always buys enough to cover like for like but Laporte is hard to replace, especially for cheque book Pep. 

We've coped with midfielders at left back for 2 seasons and at the pressure end of last season with Gundogan (lord help us) as defensive midfielder, so yes Pep has adapted and put square pegs in round holes with success, but as someone pointed out above, City without Laporte equals Liverpool without VVD and you know how much you'd miss him. So can we cope without Laporte; not with the  set up we used on Saturday but time will tell.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

On 9/12/2019 at 6:25 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Ignore Alfies nonsense; he's just a jealous spurs fan who's bitter cause he can't remember what it's like to win a trophy.

City fans used to go to Stumble Inn near Nana. Never been there myself and i don't know if there's still a gathering there. You could check their Facebook page or get in touch with the City Supporters Bkk branch.

But there's loads of pubs in central Bkk showing football. Im sure RonniePickering22 or others will be along to suggest decent pubs to watch football. 

Cheers .  I'll check it out .   Somewhere with no Liverpool fans would be ideal after the weekend's game ????

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I think Norwich showed other teams what you can do if you grow some balls and have a go a City instead of giving up a week before the fixture. 

I'd only seen Norwich once before this season and that was against your lot. I thought in that game they were excellent going forward (Cantwell caught my eye) but not great defensively. They were excellent in the Championship last season (i have quite a few Norwich friends so hear alot about them). Think the queue to sign Pukki is getting bigger.

17 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

but I  caught  peps pre match interview.. if i was the norwich manager i'de have used it .. pep was almost dismissive of norwich.. att thought it was ill judged borderline rude .

Would you mind posting the prematch video of Pep being dismissive and rude.

The one i watched (filmed in the Etihad media room - the same video you saw?) he answers one question about Norwich and says how good they were in the Championship and deserve to be where they are and the other question he was singing praise of Pukki.

19 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Would you mind posting the prematch video of Pep being dismissive and rude.

The one i watched (filmed in the Etihad media room - the same video you saw?) he answers one question about Norwich and says how good they were in the Championship and deserve to be where they are and the other question he was singing praise of Pukki.

you saw it  one way and i interpretted it another.   But  as  he was chatting i was just thinkin the way he came ax was sort of dismissive of the way norwich played and that could be interpreted as borderline arrogant and/or  borderline rude.   as i said if i was an opposition manager.. i would have used it  and if  I was a player it could well have motivated me ..    NOTE  the  'IMO.'

9 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

you saw it  one way and i interpretted it another.   But  as  he was chatting i was just thinkin the way he came ax was sort of dismissive of the way norwich played and that could be interpreted as borderline arrogant and/or  borderline rude.

I asked you to post the link to Pep's pre-match interview so we could conclude was he rude and dismissive as you state or complimentary about Norwich as i state, but you didn't. So here's Pep's pre-match interview.

He answers two questions about Norwich as i already stated, starting at 3'20" until 4'43" and he's nothing but complimentary.

So where on that video are you interpreting he was he dismissive, borderline arrogant and/or borderline rude about Norwich (or is there another Pep pre-match interview?)?

PS. What does "came ax" mean?

SHAKHTAR V CITY: STONES SUFFERS INJURY SETBACK

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 4:28 PM

PEP TALK: Latest from the boss' press conference

John Stones will miss our Champions League game against Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday with a muscle injury.

The 25-year-old, who suffered the setback in training on Tuesday morning in Kharkiv, is expected to be out for up to five weeks.

It’s another blow for Pep Guardiola, who is now down to one senior central defender after Stones joined Aymeric Laporte on the sidelines.

However, the boss took a positive stance during his pre-match press conference, saying it’s this kind of challenge and tactical conundrum that excites him.

“John Stones was injured this morning," he said. "He will be out for a month - 4, 5 weeks. The Problem is muscular.

“It’s a big challenge for me as a manager - it’s an incredible challenge with just one central defender, Nico [Otamendi].

“But I believe a lot in the spirit, the commitment to step forward and solve this problem.

"Fernandinho, and maybe Eric [Garcia] and Taylor [Harwood-Bellis] will come forward for the next few months.

“What we will not do is complain they are not able to play. We have 11 players on the pitch and we make an extra effort. I like this challenge.”

27 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I like this challenge.

And as Stones rolled around in agony, Pep had his epiphany.

"No more defenders guys, thats it, no more defenders from now on.

Tomorrow we'll line up as:

Ederson

Cancelo Fernandinho Rodri Zinchenko  

Kevin My dear Ilkay David

Bernardo Sergio Raheem  

It's perfect"

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

And as Stones rolled around in agony, Pep had his epiphany.

"No more defenders guys, thats it, no more defenders from now on.

Tomorrow we'll line up as:

Ederson

Cancelo Fernandinho Rodri Zinchenko  

Kevin My dear Ilkay David

Bernardo Sergio Raheem  

It's perfect"

I'm dying to see what Cancelo has to offer

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm dying to see what Cancelo has to offer

Isn't it strange we haven't seen more of Cancelo up til now? Not completely fit? Pep not impressed with practice sessions? Looks like we will see more of him now.

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Isn't it strange we haven't seen more of Cancelo up til now? Not completely fit? Pep not impressed with practice sessions? 

Could be one of those or it could be something more innocent like giving him time in training to fully understand how Pep likes to play

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

It's going from bad to worse. Stones is good, wish it was Otamendi injured

Stones was way worse than Otamendi v Norwich; awful passing all match and dropped Otamendi in it for their third. He was going to be potted anyway. Fernandinho will be good at CB; remember that Kompany was a defensive midfielder converted to a CB. He turned out fine.

26 minutes ago, champers said:

Stones was way worse than Otamendi v Norwich; awful passing all match and dropped Otamendi in it for their third. He was going to be potted anyway. Fernandinho will be good at CB; remember that Kompany was a defensive midfielder converted to a CB. He turned out fine.

Neither Stones nor Otamendi had a good game on saturday but overall I rate Stones over Otamendi.

Fingers crossed that Fern can do a job at CB but it's still only  a short term fix if he does

38 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Neither Stones nor Otamendi had a good game on saturday but overall I rate Stones over Otamendi.

Fingers crossed that Fern can do a job at CB but it's still only  a short term fix if he does

Has he not played there before? 

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't remember him covering before and think the other week when Laporte got carried off was his first go in that spot

I seem to remember Fernandinho at centre-back before at City. Once or twice? I wouldn't swear to it though.

• Like 1