The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

I seem to remember Fernandinho at centre-back before at City. Once or twice? I wouldn't swear to it though.

Yeah me too. 

Filled in cos of injury, similar situation. 

Wouldnt swear either ????

edit: good ol google

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fernandinho-man-city-record-tactics-16852503

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, champers said:

remember that Kompany was a defensive midfielder converted to a CB. He turned out fine.

You beat me too it. Think i remember correctly that he wasn't  doing too well once we bought DeJong, we had a CB injury crisis, he stepped in and we never looked back.

Sure you're not a little bit of City fan champers?

Imagine if VvD and Maguire only played a couple  of games in the first 6-7 months of the season and Matip and Lindelof a couple in the first 3 months, could Liverpool win the Premier and ManU hold on to 6th plave they covet? I doubt it.

It's an interesting sub-plot to our season how we will cope without Laporte and Stones. Guessing we'll be relying on our own Dad's Army, Otamendi  and rooky Fernandinho. 

Bring it on!

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You beat me too it. Think i remember correctly that he wasn't  doing too well once we bought DeJong, we had a CB injury crisis, he stepped in and we never looked back.

Sure you're not a little bit of City fan champers?

A bit, when you paid us a million for Jamie Pillock.

8 hours ago, jellydog said:

I seem to remember Fernandinho at centre-back before at City. Once or twice? I wouldn't swear to it though.

It seems you were right jelly. Good memory sir. After clicking on Kadillo's link I remember them now. Good job that wasn't a pub quiz question

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Jesus! Sane, Laporte, Stones...make it stop

giphy.gif

Can't stop laughing !!!!! "make it stop" you talk about 4 players injured for christ sake and only 2 of them would be in your strongest 11, talk about over dramatize things, what about your 1 Billion pound squad ? have a look at the injury list of other teams and do you see them moaning ? 

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Can't stop laughing !!!!! "make it stop" you talk about 4 players injured for christ sake and only 2 of them would be in your strongest 11, talk about over dramatize things, what about your 1 Billion pound squad ? have a look at the injury list of other teams and do you see them moaning ? 

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

As i stated earlier we have our first choice left winger, leftback and left centre back plus right centre back out. We coped last season without our best player KDB as we are well stocked in midfield, and we can cope without Sane, Mendy and Stones, but THE player we can't cope without is Laporte - he's just that important to us (same to us as taking VVD out of Liverpool's defence would be - a massive loss). If you cant see that, it'd because you don't watch and City and Liverpool enough. So it's not the number of injured players and out, it's who is out and his importance  to us; now compounded with losing Stones as well.

Incidentally I'd say Pep's  first choice team based on seeing everyone he's  picked in every game since he arrived, is

Ederson

Walker Stones Laporte Mendy

KDB Rodri Silva

Sterling Aguero Sane

That's 4 out of 11 first choice players out and why you have a 1Bn squad to select from.

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

As i stated earlier we have our first choice left winger, leftback and left centre back plus right centre back out. We coped last season without our best player KDB as we are well stocked in midfield, and we can cope without Sane, Mendy and Stones, but THE player we can't cope without is Laporte - he's just that important to us (same to us as taking VVD out of Liverpool's defence would be - a massive loss). If you cant see that, it'd because you don't watch and City and Liverpool enough. So it's not the number of injured players and out, it's who is out and his importance  to us; now compounded with losing Stones as well.

Incidentally I'd say Pep's  first choice team based on seeing everyone he's  picked in every game since he arrived, is

Ederson

Walker Stones Laporte Mendy

KDB Rodri Silva

Sterling Aguero Sane

That's 4 out of 11 first choice players out and why you have a 1Bn squad to select from.

You managed to win the league without KDB in the large part. If it was Sterling or Aguero out I don't think you would have won. 

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You managed to win the league without KDB in the large part. If it was Sterling or Aguero out I don't think you would have won. 

I would agree with that. KdB was out, Bernardo replaced him and was Player of the Year. With Silva Bernardo Gundogan Fernandinho and Alfie's favourite we coped. 

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Imagine if VvD and Maguire only played a couple  of games in the first 6-7 months of the season and Matip and Lindelof a couple in the first 3 months, could Liverpool win the Premier and ManU hold on to 6th plave they covet? I doubt it.

It's an interesting sub-plot to our season how we will cope without Laporte and Stones. Guessing we'll be relying on our own Dad's Army, Otamendi  and rooky Fernandinho. 

Bring it on!

It's about the unit for us. yes VvD would be sorely missed but you mention Matip like he was our first choice pairing, at one stage Fabinhno was actually preferred by the boss. VvD with Gomez was our crack pairing and I was extremely worried when Gomez broke his leg. In the end the system we play was managed and exceeded all expectation by a free transfer 4th choice centre-back. Becker is as much part of attack as he is defense and we are coping with a throw away keeper from West Ham (not intending to insult the hammers).

People seem to forget the trajectory of Gomez up until his injury. He would cope and lead with VvD. 

Klopp buys and keeps flexible players who can adapt and cope out of position. That's how we manage with less talent and a smaller group.

Still I would concerned as a City fan today.  

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

It's about the unit for us. yes VvD would be sorely missed but you mention Matip like he was our first choice pairing, at one stage Fabinhno was actually preferred by the boss. VvD with Gomez was our crack pairing and I was extremely worried when Gomez broke his leg. In the end the system we play was managed and exceeded all expectation by a free transfer 4th choice centre-back. Becker is as much part of attack as he is defense and we are coping with a throw away keeper from West Ham (not intending to insult the hammers).

People seem to forget the trajectory of Gomez up until his injury. He would cope and lead with VvD. 

Klopp buys and keeps flexible players who can adapt and cope out of position. That's how we manage with less talent and a smaller group.

Still I would concerned as a City fan today.  

I mentioned Matip only as he currently seems to be the guy alongside VVD. 

I'm sure your defence is a unit but come on, take VVD out your back 4 and what have you got: just another defence, nothing special.

I'm not sure if your comment about klpp buying and adapting players is meant to infer Pep doesn't? Midfielders at leftback for 2 seasons (Zinchenko cost £1.7m by the way), and when the pressure was on and Fernandinho was out tail end of last season, Pep converted that defensive collusus Gundogan in to our holding player.

I'd also be amazed if your PL and CL squads are fewer in numbers than ours.

I am concerned today, as things don't seem to be going our way. And as you said the other day "If we don't win it from here it will be a monumental bottle job".

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Born in Leeds but a Norway  international. Got a great scoring record this season. Wonder if he's a blue?

_108847554_haala.jpg

Just seen him in action on the highlights show. That was his 4th hat trick already this season. At Anfield next round of matches. VVD will need to smarten his act up after last night.

Pretty easy pickings that one. Must say a really good game from Gundogan, who has never been my favorite City player. Fernandinho close to perfect as only he can be. Nice to see Benny Mendy on the pitch. Now let's see if he can stay healthy and off his smartphone.

• Like 1

Born in Leeds but a Norway  international. Got a great scoring record this season. Wonder if he's a blue?  

_108847554_haala.jpg.be6b9f1768d427acca16185407016d30.jpg&key=c3184c9f4abe23fce7566f8478a40fa855d223f1c0ac8ec18c413a4acce303d4

In an interview with the local news here in Norway he confirmed he will always be a Leeds supporter . And he wanted to follow dads footsteps playing for Leeds or City. Man United was not an option, sorry Ole but what Keane did to Alfie is not easy to forget in the Haaland family.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jellydog said:

Pretty easy pickings that one. Must say a really good game from Gundogan, who has never been my favorite City player. Fernandinho close to perfect as only he can be. Nice to see Benny Mendy on the pitch. Now let's see if he can stay healthy and off his smartphone.

Agree with that Jelly. Also thought it was a poor performance from KdB, he didn't seem to have that golden touch last night. TBH, most players didn't get out of 2nd gear. Admit to being a bit shocked with the starting line up, leaving out both Silva's and Aguero

Although Cancelo only had about 10 minutes I was happy with what I saw. Looks very comfortable on the ball

• Like 1

I agree with you guys.

Comfortable victory. Mahrez and Gundogan were our best players (never thought that before). Otamendi and Fernandinho were fine. KdB had an off night - should have scored and his passing radar was way off. Good to see Cancelo at last; he did alright. Also nice to see Mendy back but don't hold your breath. Was hoping he might have given Eric Garcia some minutes (though he'll play next week  vs Preston). Thought the Mahrez to Gundogan 2nd goal was a beauty. Thankfully their guy the 3 chances fell to couldn't finish.

Very enjoyable game.

See Zagreb beat Atalanta.

Zagreb up next.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Agree with that Jelly. Also thought it was a poor performance from KdB, he didn't seem to have that golden touch last night. TBH, most players didn't get out of 2nd gear. Admit to being a bit shocked with the starting line up, leaving out both Silva's and Aguero

Although Cancelo only had about 10 minutes I was happy with what I saw. Looks very comfortable on the ball

I think KDB is thinking too much. He's not just letting it happen like he did two years ago. This has been going on with him for awhile. I hope he snaps out of it!