The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

At this point in time OGS has a better win percentage at Cardiff 30% as apposed to 27% at United

"When Mourinho was sacked, United were 6th with 26 points from 17 games (1.52 per game). 29 goals scored (1.71 per game) and 29 goals conceded (1.71 per game).

Today under Solskjaer, United are 5th with 31 points from 21 games (1.48 per game). 32 goals scored (1.52 per game) and 25 goals conceded (1.19 per game).

What exactly has Solskjaer done at Man Utd that warrants belief in him?

While on paper he has improved the defence, the reality is that this has been at the expense of the attack and has cost about £130 million as well.

He has also lowered United's average age but considering that Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea and Arsenal have also given youth a good chance, I am not sure how much of an achievement that is.

Solskjaer seems to be average manager and he has done as average job."

He's brought in a couple of decent defenders in the last window, apart from that what has he improvef in his +12 months in charge. But long may he and Woodward reign ????

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, RickG16 said:

So what you're saying is, you think it's possible to have a major squad clear out and remodel the style of play, with no negative impact on performance? 

You're no different from the reactionary media you were castigating just hours ago.

I'm feeling tired... it's the endless struggle to take you seriously. 

Hi Rick You were warned,its akin to a dripping tap that can't be repaired.

We have 3 new signings Bailly ,Tuanzebe & Dalot almost on deck,well that's what they feel like.Not more than half a dozen games between them early in the season. Unless there is the "surprise" rumoured midfielder coming in its not going to make a lot of difference in areas of the pitch United are weak.I am wondering will Rashford soon feel the burn out, some players are obviously feeling the pace ,the playing schedule is quite ridiculous.No matter how fit you may be the human body can't function in top gear playing so many games.Ask Harry. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Hi Rick You were warned,its akin to a dripping tap that can't be repaired.

We have 3 new signings Bailly ,Tuanzebe & Dalot almost on deck,well that's what they feel like.Not more than half a dozen games between them early in the season. Unless there is the "surprise" rumoured midfielder coming in its not going to make a lot of difference in areas of the pitch United are weak.I am wondering will Rashford soon feel the burn out, some players are obviously feeling the pace ,the playing schedule is quite ridiculous.No matter how fit you may be the human body can't function in top gear playing so many games.Ask Harry. 

Don't forget Fosu Mensah who is also supposedly nearly back to fitness.

Apparently we are very close to signing Bruno Fernandes. Whether this is a pre-cursor to Pogba leaving I don't know. But I'm all for another creative midfielder who can offer something different. 

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Apparently we are very close to signing Bruno Fernandes. Whether this is a pre-cursor to Pogba leaving I don't know. But I'm all for another creative midfielder who can offer something different.

I rate him highly. Was surprised you (or anyone for that matter) didn't go for him last summer as he was available then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilai said:

I rate him highly. Was surprised you (or anyone for that matter) didn't go for him last summer as he was available then.

Begs the question of why we didn't then, but want to now? Might be Pogba related?

Watched some Youtube of him, but my concern was he is more of a 'City type' player, who is a great footballer but might not have the steel we need for the middle of the park. Since then I've been assured that he does have a lot of fight about him, and that he actually captains Sporting, so could be a good dressing room influence. 

People can laugh as much as they want (it isn't just me that recognises his qualities btw), but at this point I think we will miss Ashley Young a hell of a lot of he leaves. He might have flaws, but he also has a lot of qualities which aren't easy to replace - experience leadership etc. Let's hope AWB doesn't get injured if he does leave. 

15 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Don't forget Fosu Mensah who is also supposedly nearly back to fitness.

I forgot young Fosu Mensah who has been plagued by injuries a common United problem ,big strapping lads who seem to be able to get themselves injured on a regular basis.I think F M is way down the pecking order though .Shaw is once again "feeling" his hamstring after a warm up.He's slipped down the order.

I said weeks ago that I considered Brandon Williams a rising star.He's totally fearless and you can see the damage he does to the opposition, like last night,  when he charges into the box ,love it. Needs to be a bit more composed when firing off a shot should have had his second PL goal last night,another academy product

On 1/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, balo said:

Don't worry, if Ole wins 5 in a row, all will be forgotten again. Funny how the media works. a couple of good games and Ole is back on track. 

Yeah that's the way it works,it goes from sack Ole to back Ole like a revolving door. He was being berated before last nights match by so called United supporters and pundits for playing Mata in front of Greenwood. Mata had the best game in recent memory and Greenwood came on and scored a classic but the criticism is relentless.

OGS substitution of Rashford and Martial when the game was in hand last night was a smart move. 3 games in 7 days.At least they walked of without limping

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, RickG16 said:

So what you're saying is, you think it's possible to have a major squad clear out and remodel the style of play, with no negative impact on performance? 

You're no different from the reactionary media you were castigating just hours ago.

I'm feeling tired... it's the endless struggle to take you seriously. 

My point about the media is lose a couple it's crisis, win a couple and all's right. I also feel at City that the media is desperate for a decline; different clubs are treated differently as we'll all see if liverpool become PL champions.

My point on Ole is he's had a year, brought in 2 decent defenders, but really what has he achieved in the year in terms of progress and is he the man to restore ManU to the top. I don't think he is that man and he's done an average job, but hey, keep Ole at the wheel please.

14 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Mata had the best game in recent memory 

He was great. Looked a little off the pace though in the first few minutes, and that will be his problem in other types of games. There was one point when he had what looked like miles and miles of space to run into on the right flank, but he simply didn't have the pace to do it. For games in which you need to 'pick the lock', he can be perfect.

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The point being, your crowds and popularity are receding quicker than Prince Williams hairline

Basing that on an 88 per cent attendance at an FA Cup tie midweek in January. 

Pretty sure most rankings will have us as the most popular club in the world. As I said, everyone loves a comeback story.

Based on Thailand there is definately more and more young fans supporting City, as you would expect.

But I'm afraid popularity is one thing you can't hammer us on Mr Boj. You know that from living abroad. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But I'm afraid popularity is one thing you can't hammer us on Mr Boj. You know that from living abroad. 

Foreign fans are fickle and will switch clubs at the click of a finger. They'll follow anyone who's currently winning trophies. Well, maybe not Spurs but almost anyone ????

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Foreign fans are fickle and will switch clubs at the click of a finger. They'll follow anyone who's currently winning trophies. Well, maybe not Spurs but almost anyone ????

Either way, we are still massively popular all over the world. 

I don't think this line of attack is worth pursuing..... 67,000 for a midweek 3rd round cup tie in January actually seems quite good.

Will you buying Garry Cook's book Mr Boj? Now there's a greasy piece of work.....

45 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Will you buying Garry Cook's book Mr Boj? Now there's a greasy piece of work.....

Oh my bad... it was an article which BB recommended, not a book.

Anyway... the important point is that he's greasy. 

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Looking better for Ole now, remember Ole is the only manager who took 1 point off Liverpool this season. Now lets see what will happen on Sunday, another draw? 

Balo, question for you. How many Man City fans do you see in Norway?

Not that many compared to United of course, but City on its way up over the last 10 years.  Personally I know one City supporter I met over 30 years ago. 

(Un)Official numbers members of Norwegian supporter clubs 2019: 

1. Liverpool 49.010 (+21.8%)
  2. Manchester United 42.573 (+5.6%)
  3. Arsenal 7197 (+2.5)
  4. Tottenham 5260 (-2.6%)
  5. Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  6. Manchester City 2456 (+9.8%)
  7. Chelsea 1715 (-9.5%)
  8. West Ham 898 (-2.1%)
  9. Stoke 710 (-4.8%)
  10. Everton 575 (-7.9%)

1 minute ago, balo said:

Not that many compared to United of course, but City on its way up over the last 10 years.  Personally I know one City supporter I met over 30 years ago. 

3. Arsenal 7197 (+2.5)
  5. Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  7. Chelsea 1715 (-9.5%)
  8. West Ham 898 (-2.1%)
  9. Stoke 710 (-4.8%)
  10. Everton 575 (-7.9%)

Couldn't have asked for a more accurate answer Balo - thank you!

So 2,000, in comparison to 42,000. Don't talk about fan numbers please. 

No further questions your honour.

@mrbojangles

5 minutes ago, balo said:
  • Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  • Manchester City 2456 (+9.8%)

I think most Leeds members must be over 50 years old , Leeds back in the days were entertaining to watch. 

Probably explain why most of the paying members support Liverpool or United.
Been on top of the league since the early beginning. That's history for you.   

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I would think Haaland and Eirik Bakke could also be a factor

Not really, this goes back to the late 60's and 70's and 80's when Norwegian and Swedish national TV started to show live games from England every Saturday.  
It was all free back then and "every" kid growing up found an English team to support. Leeds had some great players back then. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, balo said:

3. Arsenal 7197 (+2.5)
  5. Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  7. Chelsea 1715 (-9.5%)
  8. West Ham 898 (-2.1%)
  9. Stoke 710 (-4.8%)
  10. Everton 575 (-7.9%)

Stoke? Does Stoke have a Norwegian history?

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Stoke?

LOL interesting history that one. Norwegian TV again, they had the rights to show one live game every Saturday back in the 70's, and guess who were the most shown team ?  Stoke. 

I remember being a kid myself in the mid 70s and I think I witnessed many boring games when Stoke was involved , I think I  can name some Stoke players for you. :biggrin:

Edited by balo
  • Confused 1