The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Put it down to frustration.I didn't mind him as a player and would definately rate him above Rojo. His mind would have been saying, we (Foxes) had a place in the top four and let it slip and then my old club grabs it. Didn't wait for the red card just walked. I guarantee he went to Scott after and apologised, he's usually not that sort of player,potential leg breaker.

Evans is hated by many Bolton fans after his tackle effectively ended the career of our US midfielder Stuart Holden. Holden was destined for big things and was expected to move on to a big club, with Utd among those in the frame. The career ending injuries to him and Fabrice Muamba were a big reason for Bolton's failure to stop in the top flight.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sparkles said:

he's usually not that sort of player,potential leg breaker.

Sorry Sparkles but he has history as has been pointed out. Tried to two foot Shelvey at Anfield but JJ saw it coming. Evans theN yelped, rolled around a few times and Shelvey was the one punished!

Evans-Shelvey-Man-Utd-Liverpool.png

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Sorry Sparkles but he has history as has been pointed out. Tried to two foot Shelvey at Anfield but JJ saw it coming. Evans theN yelped, rolled around a few times and Shelvey was the one punished!

Evans-Shelvey-Man-Utd-Liverpool.png

Not saying he didn't commit a bad tackle in the freeze frame you have "researched"  and appears both players have made contact, I don't remember it. Shelvey is no angel either just this one incident doesn't make Evans a serial offender.

You can go back through time and make a point for many players who have "history" starting with Roy Keane, Fellaini aka the human windmill, Ivanovic, Phil Bardsley, Huddlestone, even Fernandino all would be right up there with poor and dangerous tackles mostly done in frustration or to delay a move.  Then you could point to players like Paul Scholes who couldn't tackle to save himself.

You could write a book full. All I am saying I think he regrets it,red mist. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The season is over except for the Europe league who would you say are your top 3 players? 

My top 3

Antony Martial

Harry Maguire

Luke Shaw

No doubt in my mind that Fernandes when he came in provided a surge of improvement in the team that I don't remember another player in recent times having such an impact.Having said that lets see him over a full season.If Pogba stays we could be in for a treat.No argument on the 3 you picked just like to make it 4. 

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Not saying he didn't commit a bad tackle in the freeze frame you have "researched"  and appears both players have made contact, I don't remember it. Shelvey is no angel either just this one incident doesn't make Evans a serial offender.

You missed Champers comment about Holden then? Mine wasn't so much researched as remembered vividly as I was livid watching it at the time. I agree that JJ was not an angel but Evans tackle was a two footed lunge. Had VAR been around I think both would have seen red.

21 hours ago, wilai said:

You missed Champers comment about Holden then? Mine wasn't so much researched as remembered vividly as I was livid watching it at the time. I agree that JJ was not an angel but Evans tackle was a two footed lunge. Had VAR been around I think both would have seen red.

No I didn't miss it. 2 incidents over a career don't make you a serial offender. If I had a dollar for every 2 foot lunge I've seen over 70+ years I would rival Bill Gates.Why you both have selected this one incident must be either because football is in recess and you don't have some thing more relevant to talk about, or you have some agenda against Evans. 

I myself in the late 60's committed a dreadful 2 footed, slide tackle on an opposition player, it put the player 2 m over the the side line. Result I suffered 2 fractures of the left leg,finished my career at 27. He did visit me in hospital.????

Most lunges come out of frustration when things are not going your way. Now we have VAR offenders should get appropriate punishment,no argument there but it won't go away.

Time to move on.

Manchester United attack has clear advantage over Liverpool FC and Man City

Man Utd finished the season in goalscoring form and they could be well placed to soon have one of the most exciting attacks in the world.

Manchester United news and transfers RECAP Jadon Sancho to Man Utd latest, Pau Torres linked

Recap the latest Man Utd transfer gossip, injury updates and breaking news from Old Trafford from the day.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-utd-transfer-news-recap-18701798

19 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Sancho Transfer "Very Likely" This Week! Jan Aage Fjortoft Man Utd Transfer News 

Fjortoft is a funny guy. His accent reminds me of that German comedian.

Looks like Sancho will go through. He'll have to endure the usual extra scrutiny which comes with being a big money United signing. That might take a bit of pressure off Pogba though.

ManU are in advanced negotiations with Borussia Dortmund to sign Jadon Sancho for an initial €100m (£90m); a fee that would set a TRANSFER RECORD for an ENGLISH player - the media of course will have nothing negative to say about that as its ManU.

City will get 15 per cent of any sale ABOVE the £8m paid for Sancho in 2017; a £90m fee, then, would give us £12.3m which could rise with add-ons on the initial fee (we'll have received in total £8 + 12.3 = £20.3m). There is no time limit either, so City will get the money from Sancho's next move whenever happens.

Looking forward to taking ManU's money; happy with that.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

ManU are in advanced negotiations with Borussia Dortmund to sign Jadon Sancho for an initial €100m (£90m); a fee that would set a TRANSFER RECORD for an ENGLISH player - the media of course will have nothing negative to say about that as its ManU.

City will get 15 per cent of any sale ABOVE the £8m paid for Sancho in 2017; a £90m fee, then, would give us £12.3m which could rise with add-ons on the initial fee (we'll have received in total £8 + 12.3 = £20.3m). There is no time limit either, so City will get the money from Sancho's next move whenever happens.

Looking forward to taking ManU's money; happy with that.

You're happy with it. But actually it should serve as a reminder that you let the biggest young English talent slip through your hands, in order to play a load of foreign mercenaries. 

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You're happy with it. But actually it should serve as a reminder that you let the biggest young English talent slip through your hands, in order to play a load of foreign mercenaries. 

We've been through this so many times before.

If we'd LET HIM GO then of course we'd have egg on our chops, but we didn't. HE decided he didn't want to stick around, work his way up the squad (remember he wasn't even a regular squad member at the time) and compete for the left position with Sane or for the right position with Sterling.

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We've been through this so many times before.

If we'd LET HIM GO then of course we'd have egg on our chops, but we didn't. HE decided he didn't want to stick around, work his way up the squad (remember he wasn't even a regular squad member at the time) and compete for the left position with Sane or for the right position with Sterling.

You have to prioritise young players and risk putting them in ahead of more experienced players, knowing they will make mistakes. You obviously couldn't give him enough reassurances, and he probably looked at how many academy players were flourishing in your first team at the time. Why would he believe he would be given enough chances?

By the way... Sane worked out well didn't it! 

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You have to prioritise young players and risk putting them in ahead of more experienced players, knowing they will make mistakes. You obviously couldn't give him enough reassurances, and he probably looked at how many academy players were flourishing in your first team at the time. Why would he believe he would be given enough chances?

By the way... Sane worked out well didn't it! 

He was not even in the squad at that stage, what you on about! To quote Pep "Sancho left the club because he "didn't want to" accept the challenge of breaking into the team". Was he going to take Sane or Sterling's position at that stage? No he wasn't. He'd been offered his first professional contract but turned it down. He was agitating for a move to Arsenal, being a southerner, and Dortmund nipped in. Both he and Brahim Diaz left for Dortmund and Real Madrid; It's only worked out for Sancho. Foden, who broke through at the same time, was content to work his way up through the squad in to the team. 

Are you trying to doubt Sane wasn't a success for us in some way?

Stop trying to rewrite history to score a point.

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Are you trying to doubt Sane wasn't a success for us in some way?

You might want to rephrase...

My fault... I nearly got dragged down into the sorrowful pit of mind bending BB logic. 

Let's just say that the set up at City made him think the odds would be stacked against him when it came to working his way into the first team. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

My fault... I nearly got dragged down into the sorrowful pit of mind bending BB logic. 

Let's just say that the set up at City made him think the odds would be stacked against him when it came to working his way into the first team. 

City bought Mahrez after hankering after him for 6 months; can't blame Sancho for leaving. BTW, is there a sell-on clause in his contract? Oh the irony if there is. Utd subbing City.

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What do you mean by that?

If there is a sell on clause a percentage of the fee paid by Utd will go to City. 15% seems to be the norm, so £15 mill to City if the fee is £100 mill.

Just now, champers said:

If there is a sell on clause a percentage of the fee paid by Utd will go to City. 15% seems to be the norm, so £15 mill to City if the fee is £100 mill.

Yeah I believe there is, pretty standard when a club sells on a promising young player to have such a clause. And....?

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah I believe there is, pretty standard when a club sells on a promising young player to have such a clause. And....?

I would find it ironic, as I have already said. You obviously don't ... fair enough.

Just now, champers said:

I would find it ironic, as I have already said. You obviously don't ... fair enough.

Sorry I can't take you seriously any more.

This is the guy who parroted Craig Burley pretty much word for word on his 66 points rant. Of all pundits to follow like a sheep... Burley! ???? ESPN only have him on for the entertainment value. Nobody actually listens to what he says about football. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry I can't take you seriously any more.

This is the guy who parroted Craig Burley pretty much word for word on his 66 points rant. Of all pundits to follow like a sheep... Burley! ???? ESPN only have him on for the entertainment value. Nobody actually listens to what he says about football. 

I quoted Burley directly, I thought there was some merit in what he said, which was essentially the fact that you finished 33 points behind Liverpool. That is a fact, not an opinion, incidentally. I think Utd improved when Bruno Fernandes was signed but later in the season he looked a bit jaded and a few points were dropped. 

Don't forget to watch your reserves tonight. New names to me are Ethan Galbraith, James Garner, Ethan Laird and Teden Mengi. Tom Cruise influence there methinks. Mission impossible for LASK. 

8 minutes ago, champers said:

I quoted Burley directly, I thought there was some merit in what he said, which was essentially the fact that you finished 33 points behind Liverpool. That is a fact, not an opinion, incidentally.

Yes but you are allowed to use your brain and have an opinion, unlike Burley who invariably doesn't use his brain, which is part of his comic appeal.

True, we did also finish on 66 points last season. But in YOUR OPINION are we in better shape now or then?

I think anybody can see we have improved a lot in the second half of the season, so in what we all know is another transitional season, Solskjaer has brought us out of the other side a better team. We are improving, and so to look at the points tally and suggest that's the be all and end all is just stupid. Burley-esque, in fact! 

13 minutes ago, champers said:

later in the season he looked a bit jaded and a few points were dropped. 

We still also won a few games when he was knackered. We were the in form team post lockdown... and if a team in the title race scrapes a few wins, everyone says "look this shows they can win when not at their best, it's a good sign".

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Mine was a simple question you didn't answer.

You stated "By the way... Sane worked out well didn't it!" insinuating he didn't work out well for us which is why I picked you up on it.

So were you making a point he wasn't a success for us, and if so why do you think he wasn't?

43 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You stated "By the way... Sane worked out well didn't it!" insinuating he didn't work out well for us which is why I picked you up on it.

So were you making a point he wasn't a success for us, and if so why do you think he wasn't?

No... ???????????????????????????????????????????????? I must be strong. Can't get dragged into the BB hole. 

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Welcome back BB. 

He has been at it for ages. 

Give him <deleted> ????

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Welcome back BB. 

He has been at it for ages. 

Give him <deleted> ????

He's getting a bit giddy cos Utd are in the Champs Lge next season without having to go all out to win the Europa League. It is a rarity indeed to qualify for Champs Lge with only 66 points. Usually it requires 2 points per game during a season to qualify, 10 more than they have this season. 66 points didn't suffice last season which is why they are in the Europa League now.

Just watching Shakhtar v Wolfsburg, sunglasses required, orange v lime green.

I have always liked Wolfsburg since they were managed by Wolfgang Wolf (true). No relation to Winston.

Archived