The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Nuturing young talent has to be the way to go. Days of ridiculous player valuations and Agents price gouging are over I hope.

Don't bank on it ....Bellingham went for 25m + add-ons. Most expensive 17 year old ever. 

30 minutes ago, wilai said:

Don't bank on it ....Bellingham went for 25m + add-ons. Most expensive 17 year old ever. 

Why is it ridiculous. Looks like a shrewd move from a club which has proven it knows how to nurture young talent and then sell on in a couple of years for a massive profit. 

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Can't see him replacing De Gea, form is temporary, how many games has he won or saved in the past ?

Tricky one for OGS. Lot of talk about Henderson, will he or won’t he return but I’m surprised he hasn’t thought about playing Romero. One could argue that he had stuck with him in his Cup team you may not has lost. I can’t recall him every letting you down or making a howler?

The issue with playing him as opposed to bringing Henderson back imo is that if you do the latter you are in effect saying he is now the number one and De Gea days are numbered. Particularly difficult when you have recently gave him a reported £350,000/week deal, so a massive call. 

The argument about how many matches has he won or saved previously doesn’t really hold water imo as you could pitch that argument to many a great player and on that basis never replace them. If it was a one off I tend to agree with you but it’s not and arguably his form has been a worry for a while. 

Can understand Ole not wishing to shatter his confidence any further but to say things like he is the best in the world when everyone knows he is not even the best in the Premiership makes him look weak and rather foolish. 

Every big club Who has aspirations of getting to the top has a top top keeper. Look at the difference it’s made to Liverpool and City. 

Tough decisions probably not matter too much tonight ............but hopefully from a selfish point of view he sticks with De Gea this evening and he carries on where he left off against Chelsea. I predict a few goals, sadly not sure the balance will be in our favour.  

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Why is it ridiculous. Looks like a shrewd move from a club which has proven it knows how to nurture young talent and then sell on in a couple of years for a massive profit. 

Hope ir works for them but from what I've seen from his BCFC clips, I'm not sure if he is Sancho/Haaland/Greenwood/Foden standard.

4 out of 6 points taken this season. If only we could do the same to the lesser sides. 

All set up for the Maguire final. 

Left Leicester to further his ambitions to play in the CL 

Get a point and looks justified. Lose and he looks a chump. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Tricky one for OGS. Lot of talk about Henderson, will he or won’t he return but I’m surprised he hasn’t thought about playing Romero. One could argue that he had stuck with him in his Cup team you may not has lost. I can’t recall him every letting you down or making a howler?

The issue with playing him as opposed to bringing Henderson back imo is that if you do the latter you are in effect saying he is now the number one and De Gea days are numbered. Particularly difficult when you have recently gave him a reported £350,000/week deal, so a massive call. 

The argument about how many matches has he won or saved previously doesn’t really hold water imo as you could pitch that argument to many a great player and on that basis never replace them. If it was a one off I tend to agree with you but it’s not and arguably his form has been a worry for a while. 

Can understand Ole not wishing to shatter his confidence any further but to say things like he is the best in the world when everyone knows he is not even the best in the Premiership makes him look weak and rather foolish. 

Every big club Who has aspirations of getting to the top has a top top keeper. Look at the difference it’s made to Liverpool and City. 

Tough decisions probably not matter too much tonight ............but hopefully from a selfish point of view he sticks with De Gea this evening and he carries on where he left off against Chelsea. I predict a few goals, sadly not sure the balance will be in our favour.  

I'm glad OGS stuck with De Gea and he didn't disappoint last night did he ? Plenty of keepers, normally safe, have poor runs just attracts more attention that strikers who cant hit a barn door.

Henderson, who will be great keeper, has made 2 classic blunders this season and Romero at 33 is at the tail end of his great career. Managers don't have the benefit of hindsight they can only go with their gut feel and what they see on the training pitch. Maguire,much maligned, also had a very competent game 

I didn't expect many goals, knew Moyes with his team not wanting to concede many goals to ensure safety in the league would set up with nearly all players behind the ball and it worked. United looked very lethargic. Fernandes probably had his worst game since joining .Rashford looked almost disinterested, he may well be carry a minor injury no lung busting runs and it took an 18 yr old to rescue a point. The slick quick passing between Pogba ,Fernandes ,Martial,Greenwood  etc was totally absent getting through so much traffic.

The playing schedule is relentless for all teams and United will need to lift for this weekend with Vardy on the rampage for the Golden Boot.

Then we move onto the Europa League and face teams that are relatively fresh . I don't see United going past the semis so for me Sunday is crucial.

• Thanks 1

Kasper Schmeical gave an interesting interview on Sky Sports regarding the De Gea issue. As one who is on the front line he defended De Gea saying most of the criticism is coming from people who have never stood between the sticks.Pundits and arm chair critics. In any sport you don't go from one of the worlds best to hopeless.

Lloris at Spurs went through a bad patch before he got injured and some people were discussing a replacement for him.he's back to his best.

From De Gea's body language the other night and one great save he is mentally strong enough to get through this. Henderson time will come he is still very young and in a hurry but unlike young Bellingham with being a keeper there's only room for one.

Romero has been magnificent as a no 2 but did indicate sometime ago he might well finish up back in his native country and still add to his 96 caps 

• Like 1

Manchester United give team news and injury updates vs Leicester 

Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly missed the midweek draw with West Ham and Man United travel to Leicester for the final game of the Premier League season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-team-news-leicester-18654518

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It did tickle me. Especially the final ball

I wish BB would return so you'd stop moping around this thread. 

I don't think there are many United fans who regret signing Maguire, when you look at our defensive record this season and what he's brought to the dressing room. He's also never injured which helps. 

I thought he was one of the few players who was excellent vs West Ham. If you watched him for 90 mins you might see a few world class moments to go alongside his embarrassing clips, which I think every defender has, with the possible exception of Maldini. 

Whatever happens tonight I think we can look back at the progress United have made and the development of 2 young players, Greenwood, such an exciting talent and Williams who has become a valuable squad member. Axel Tuanzebe I had high hopes for,terrible injury and will be at least another 2 months before he can even train, but at 22 could be like a new signing.

Still way behind City and Liverpool but the football they are trying to play is in stark contrast to the boring krap under Van Gaal and Mourinho. 

It will be edge of the seat stuff but when did United ever make it easy for themselves ?

11 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Whatever happens tonight I think we can look back at the progress United have made and the development of 2 young players, Greenwood, such an exciting talent and Williams who has become a valuable squad member.

Yes there have been positives, and there will always be young players breaking through (Rash under LVG and McTominay under Jose) but let's not kid ourselves here... Messing this up would be a massive massive massive setback for so many reasons.

Forget Williams. I have a simple equation for you. If Luke Shaw plays we get at least a draw. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Yes there have been positives, and there will always be young players breaking through (Rash under LVG and McTominay under Jose) but let's not kid ourselves here... Messing this up would be a massive massive massive setback for so many reasons.

Forget Williams. I have a simple equation for you. If Luke Shaw plays we get at least a draw. 

I think I would prefer LS to play in this game this is a 70 million pound game

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Screenshot_20200726-212726.jpg

Give it a rest you old song and dance man as your patter is starting to become rather predictive.

Your original material is much better and you don't need to roll out these old routines. ????????????

• Like 2

We dont need to discuss the game it was job done who <deleted> cares? Nailed on penalty and a Red card it must have been a cup final J Lingard scored

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2