Forum upgrade in progress! ×

The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 7/10/2020 at 3:21 AM, mrbojangles said:

13 penalties awarded this season. A new record in Prem League history

Just goes to show how much MU forward line is getting into the box making defenders commit to fouls, long may it continue and before you say it I didn't think that was a penalty the other day, but Rashford did get shoved in the back a couple of times and on another day could have resulted in a penalty

Bye the way it's 18

Edited by ChipButty

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No it isn't. It's 13. I said Premier League history. You are including FA cup, Europa etc

Well unfortunately for you, big clubs tend to get the rub of the green with ref decisions. 

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I cannot agree with you Sparkles. The decisions of VAR, or lack of them, are loaded in favour of the bigger clubs. The 'smaller' clubs simply do not get a fair go.

That's ok smaller clubs don't seem to get a fair shake.Often thought "why" myself or do we just take more notice ? but I don't suggest in any way its cheating by officials, just incompetence ? co incidence ? Take your pick.Been plenty of controversy this season when 2 of the top clubs have been up against each other too.

There is an interesting analysis of Man United penalties in the Manchester Evening  News.Of course not everyone will agree with it being a Manchester newspaper.

VAR I was totally in favour of when it was announced, and anyone who has refereed will know why.

However our officials blundered into this instead of following Rugby Union or Rugby Leagues process.

Australian RL, which I still follow, introduced VAR in the late 90's ,its been tweaked many times but finally they have got it to a point where its almost 100 %.

Referees are miked up with the "bunker" which is at the ground. You can clearly hear the discussion which maybe "Any reason why I shouldn't award a try ?" Also can be heard by spectators and shown on a large screen so everyone knows what is going down.Pretty basic but our "decision makers" know better,currently its a shambles. 3 games last Thursday ,3 mistakes,all apologised for.

The latest tweak in ARL I really like Is a "Captains Call". One per team.For example the Fernades penalty decision could have been reviewed again at the request of the opposition teams captain.

Win the call the decision is overturned, lose it you don't get get another call. Borrowed from cricket

• Like 1

smaller clubs might resort to desperation last ditch fouls which is why they seem to be getting poorer seemingly biased outcomes on penalties etc, the larger clubs generally have better teams and players so the smaller clubs might be forced to resort to other tactics to improve their chances making it look like there is bias from refs and even VAR................on a case by case basis if anything I see refs going lighter on less resourced teams so the bias if it exists is in fact the other way - refs are reluctant to give the big teams penalties otherwise we'd have been seeing MU with at least 3 in their last game - IMO the one that was given shouldn't have been but I think there comes a point when refs just say - ok I'm not letting you off with that one, there have been 2 already that I could easily have given  

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah. It's awful being a small club, never getting the rub of the green and yet still winning 3 Premier League titles since your last one. It actually makes our achievement even more special. Thanks for acknowledging that fact for us Rick

Enjoy it because you wont winning again for a long time

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

That's ok smaller clubs don't seem to get a fair shake.Often thought "why" myself or do we just take more notice ? but I don't suggest in any way its cheating by officials, just incompetence ? co incidence ? Take your pick.Been plenty of controversy this season when 2 of the top clubs have been up against each other too.

There is an interesting analysis of Man United penalties in the Manchester Evening  News.Of course not everyone will agree with it being a Manchester newspaper.

VAR I was totally in favour of when it was announced, and anyone who has refereed will know why.

However our officials blundered into this instead of following Rugby Union or Rugby Leagues process.

Australian RL, which I still follow, introduced VAR in the late 90's ,its been tweaked many times but finally they have got it to a point where its almost 100 %.

Referees are miked up with the "bunker" which is at the ground. You can clearly hear the discussion which maybe "Any reason why I shouldn't award a try ?" Also can be heard by spectators and shown on a large screen so everyone knows what is going down.Pretty basic but our "decision makers" know better,currently its a shambles. 3 games last Thursday ,3 mistakes,all apologised for.

The latest tweak in ARL I really like Is a "Captains Call". One per team.For example the Fernades penalty decision could have been reviewed again at the request of the opposition teams captain.

Win the call the decision is overturned, lose it you don't get get another call. Borrowed from cricket

What I do not like is when a 'fact' is either not acknowledged or overturned when it is shown to be faulty.

Let me explain: Liverpool (wrong thread for this I know, but,,,,,) v Arsenal earlier this season. Liverpool scored from a penalty that could not possibly be given. When the 'pool player struck the ball a Liverpool player was just 5 metres from the penalty spot. It is against the rules of the game. The penalty should have been retaken and the player 'encroaching' booked. The incident was not 'interpretation' it was fact. Appalling decision all round.

Just a few games ago Sheffield Utd scored a goal that was not given. The ball was half a metre behind the goal line.

I want to see fair play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

They still look decent to me CB!  When the manager gets bored and leaves then they will be there for the taking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

OK. Thanks for the heads up.  How lucky United are. Not to only be the biggest club in the galaxy but to have fans who can predict the future. Tell me, how many more penalties will United get before the end of this season? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

OK. Thanks for the heads up.  How lucky United are. Not to only be the biggest club in the galaxy but to have fans who can predict the future. Tell me, how many more penalties will United get before the end of this season? 

Do you not think it's a bit nit-picky to harp on about penalties, when we are smashing teams out of the park at the moment? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

They still look decent to me CB!  When the manager gets bored and leaves then they will be there for the taking. 

He's extended his contract once. It'll be nothing to do with him getting "bored".  It'll be purely down to new challenges and we all knew he wouldn't be at City for decades. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Do you not think it's a bit nit-picky to harp on about penalties, when we are smashing teams out of the park at the moment? 

No. You've achieved a new record and I'm helping you celebrate. ChipButty reckons he knows the future so was just asking that's all.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

new challenges 

I'm sure exactly what the PR lady (or man) will say when he does the off.

But he'll be leaving because taken huge piles of the Arab dosh, realised he's working for a club that fiddles the books, with a small, unambitious fanbase. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

But he'll be leaving because taken huge piles of the Arab dosh, realised he's working for a club that fiddles the books, with a small, unambitious fanbase. 

So harsh Rick.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What do you mean "when he does the off"? You mean when his contract expires? That's something United haven't done since SAF left is it? You've sacked em all since haven't you?

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

So harsh Rick.

Come on Owl... they've been lucky to have him and Mr Boj concedes that. 

And that's another reason why he'll leave, he realises he is bigger than the club.

• Like 1

Just now, RickG16 said:

Come on Owl... they've been lucky to have him and Mr Boj concedes that. 

And that's another reason why he'll leave, he realises he is bigger than the club.

We can't all be as big and wonderful as United .

Even though you haven't won the PL for years!!

What do you mean "when he does the off"? You mean when his contract expires? That's something United haven't done since SAF left is it? You've sacked em all since haven't you?

Yeah I agree leaving at the end of his contract will be showing some respect to the fans and club... but also ensures his reign doesn't end on a bad note.

It's just a shame you couldn't match his ambitions, otherwise why would he be leaving? Take Mourinho... I know he has moved around but I think there has always been a reason. I am sure he would love to build a dynasty at a club which wanted him to stay, but it's usually gone wrong for some reason. 

You want Pep to stay but he still wants to go. That's a fact isn't it?

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

We can't all be as big and wonderful as United .

Even though you haven't won the PL for years!!

Think of it this way... you are the club in a club-manager relationship. Would you rather be dumped or do the dumping? 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah I agree leaving at the end of his contract will be showing some respect to the fans and club... but also ensures his reign doesn't end on a bad note.

It's just a shame you couldn't match his ambitions, otherwise why would he be leaving? Take Mourinho... I know he has moved around but I think there has always been a reason. I am sure he would love to build a dynasty at a club which wanted him to stay, but it's usually gone wrong for some reason. 

You want Pep to stay but he still wants to go. That's a fact isn't it?

You're sounding stupid Rick. All managers come and go in every club eventually. Klopp won't be at Liverpool for ever and OGS won't be at United forever. What's your point?

Is that really how you view it? How bladdy sad

Of course.... because pride of the club comes into it. Yes he's been very good for you and you can't hold any grudges..... but it's almost like the Average Joe punching well above his weight with the super model... she walks away but he's just happy to have kept her that long. That's sad! 

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Absolutely pathetic view and analogy. What supermodel have you entered into a contract with? I'm disengaging with this, better stuff to do

Yep...big game coming up on the telly????

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Take Mourinho... I know he has moved around but I think there has always been a reason.

Jose tends to do well for a few years , then signs a new large contract and then deliberately gets himself sacked soon after and walks off with the money and onto his next job 

13 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

You know United are back on track when the ABUs start crying about penalties.