The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Back to earth with a thud after a 19 game run that surprised most of us. Had to happen at some time and Chelsea were spot on with their tactics, energy and De Gea having a horror night.I really thought Romero would play. Wednesday is West Ham who are not yet mathematically out of demotion territory so they will just have to lift.The quick turn around of games is starting to become a major factor for all clubs.

Bailly is cursed with continual injuries.Feel bad for him still feel he's worth a chance to become a regular but just cant get a run of games. 

• Like 1

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Manchester United lost 3-1 to Frank Lampard's Chelsea, after goals from Giroud, Mason Mount and an own goal from Maguire put the Blues too far ahead for when Bruno Fernandes scored his penalty late in the second half. That's the end of our FA Cup journey. Time to focus on top 4 and the Europa League now.

Follow this guy he's spot on 

30 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Pretty sure it will either be Klopp

Klopp is the favorite of course, but winning the title does not automatically make you the manager of the season.

4 minutes ago, balo said:

Klopp is the favorite of course, but winning the title does not automatically make you the manager of the season.

If he don’t win it after the season they have had and the ease of which they have done it then he never will. 

Lampard has done a decent job considering the transfer embargo etc but I’m not sure you can compare the two. 

If it’s judged by success on a budget then Wilder has got to be up there. 

What is is the criteria?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

What is is the criteria?

Good question!  I agree Klopp should win it based on the amazing results. 
But so many managers overachieved this season, including Wilder.   

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Good question!  I agree Klopp should win it based on the amazing results. 
But so many managers overachieved this season, including Wilder.   

Not sure the exact criteria but think it's nearly always whoever won the league, or a smaller club that has overperformed on a budget. Lampard ticks neither box.

20 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Just heard the OGS interview after the game. He made the point that they have been on a 19 game unbeaten run which you can’t argue with but if he has the potential to lose you big games like this one then it must be a worry. 

The pundits on BBC were even blaming him for Maguires  goal. 

Poor performance all round and OGS dithering with the set up didn't help.

I see OGS praised Brandon Williams but I thought he had a poor game, and a left wing back who can't kick with his left foot is not going to swing any crosses in, and Chelsea shut him out of coming on the inside, so a duff selection IMO.

Having said that, Chelsea were great and dominated from start to finish, shutting down all Utd's options.

Perhaps a lesson for OGS.......

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Brandon Williams but I thought he had a poor game, 

I agree. He always shows a lot of fight and endeavor, but nothing like the smarts we are now starting to see from Shaw. Could be looking for a back up LB before next season. 

36 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Poor performance all round and OGS dithering with the set up didn't help.

I see OGS praised Brandon Williams but I thought he had a poor game, and a left wing back who can't kick with his left foot is not going to swing any crosses in, and Chelsea shut him out of coming on the inside, so a duff selection IMO.

Having said that, Chelsea were great and dominated from start to finish, shutting down all Utd's options.

I fear for my lot come Wednesday. We may well get the backlash from  last night. Chelsea’s high press and energy found the defence panicking. I lost count of the amount of times they gave the ball away. We haven't the players to play the way they did. I can see a Bournemouth type game where I think we can get at your defence but you have far too much up front for us to contain if they play the usual line up. 

Williams was poor on the night and so was Maguire. The heart of the defence looked vulnerable as it did in the Southampton game. Because of the free scoring it has maybe been camouflaged. In fairness I don’t Maguire really recovered from his head blow. 

Still fancy you for top 4. Hard to predict which Leicester may turn up but I think you have too many guns for them. 

Edited by Kadilo

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I fear for my lot come Wednesday. We may well get the backlash from  last night. Chelsea’s high press and energy found the defence panicking. I lost count of the amount of times they gave the ball away. We haven't the players to play the way they did. I can see a Bournemouth type game where I think we can get at your defence but you have far too much up front for us to contain if they play the usual line up. 

Williams was poor on the night and so was Maguire. The heart of the defence looked vulnerable as it did in the Southampton game. Because of the free scoring it has maybe been camouflaged. In fairness I don’t Maguire really recovered from his head blow. 

Still fancy you for top 4. Hard to predict which Leicester may turn up but I think you have too many guns for them. 

I think a worst case (or best for you) case scenario is that we have flashbacks to the Olympic Stadium earlier in the season, which may have been our worst performance. However we have different personnel now so it's hard to see how we can be that bad again.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think a worst case (or best for you) case scenario is that we have flashbacks to the Olympic Stadium earlier in the season, which may have been our worst performance. However we have different personnel now so it's hard to see how we can be that bad again.

Looking back we were probably at our seasons best and you probably worst. A lot has changed since then. I just hope we have a go and Moyes doesn't think he has some master plan up his sleeve. 

We ain’t getting regulated now so it’s a nothing game where they can just go play some decent football. Like I say, I don't see a scenario where we will out score you but it may well be entertaining. 

Edited by Kadilo

Just now, Kadilo said:

Looking back we were probably at our seasons best and you probably worst. A lot has changed since then. I just hope we have a go and Moyes doesn't think he has some master plan up his sleeve. 

We ain’t getting regulated now so it’s a nothing game where they can just go play some decent football. Like I say, I don't see a scenario where we will our score you but it may well be entertaining. 

Yeah... There was a time earlier in the season (Pogba injury and pre Bruno) when I quite happily would have had Mark Noble in our midfield. Things have changed since then though. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah... There was a time earlier in the season (Pogba injury and pre Bruno) when I quite happily would have had Mark Noble in our midfield. Things have changed since then though. 

He’s been a great servant but used sparingly now. He definitely is not going to be doing a Mason Mount, I’m not even sure he will start tbh. 

Pogba looked off the pace last night. He reminded me of an American Football Quarterback who kept getting dumped by the opposition. Not a lot of protection and options. 

Bruno, I thought despite a poor team performance overall was still impressive. Trouble was he seemed to be dropping too deep to get the ball and consequently the front boys never got his usual killer final ball. He is a class act for sure. 

Credit to Lampard and Chelsea. Having lost a few games against you he came up with something different and it worked. Obviously De Gea had a mare which didnt help. 

• Like 1

A really good podcast if you are a United fan follow this guy on his YT channel 

Stretford Paddock Stephen and Jay are joined by Ryan Hopper of RH Elite Coaching joins us today on the brew, to talk about his time working with Bruno Fernandes, how it came about, and why Bruno is so effective for United? 

Manchester United 'keen on Kondogbia' after losing out on Bellingham and more transfer rumours

Man Utd are reportedly chasing Valencia midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia along with Spurs and more transfer gossip.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

A really good podcast if you are a United fan follow this guy on his YT channel 

Stretford Paddock Stephen and Jay are joined by Ryan Hopper of RH Elite Coaching joins us today on the brew, to talk about his time working with Bruno Fernandes, how it came about, and why Bruno is so effective for United? 

Howson is alright. He lost my respect a bit for his constant hounding of Luke Shaw. Apparently he is Williams's godfather or something so blatantly had an agenda. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United 'keen on Kondogbia' after losing out on Bellingham and more transfer rumours

Man Utd are reportedly chasing Valencia midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia along with Spurs and more transfer gossip.

I don't think we 'lost out' on Bellingham, we just couldn't guarantee him playing time. 

• Like 2

Old cliche but tonight for United really is a much win and not only that but not to concede. Weeks back I mentioned goal difference could make or break 4th place and a glance at the table will confirm that.Goal difference with Leicester is identical as is points.

Easy to speculate what team OGS can put out but he's with them on the training pitch we are not.The much maligned Maguire I think has played every game and in hindsight that has to have some influence on recent "tired" performances.Can't see him replacing De Gea, form is temporary, how many games has he won or saved in the past ?

These late night games here are too much for me to watch live.  Wife will obviously advise when the morning cup of tea arrives????

Edited by Sparkles

On 7/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, RickG16 said:

I don't think we 'lost out' on Bellingham, we just couldn't guarantee him playing time. 

A glance at Man U's clubs web site will indicate how many quality, young,overseas players have recently signed for the club, going into the Academy, or are in the process of signing. I've never heard of most of them but Bellingham has attracted more speculation because he's a home product.  

Bellingham is a young boy in a hurry and he would be warming the bench at United and most other top clubs. If they have guaranteed him playing time good luck to him.

Nuturing young talent has to be the way to go. Days of ridiculous player valuations and Agents price gouging are over I hope.