The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

58 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

To be honest I've had it with stories of backroom staff ....

How do we know who is good and who is bad without being on the training pitch? Yes, we can see the team's overall results but how do we know which coaches are more influential etc?

Without working in football, how do we know whether any of these people are bad or good?

Personally I'm not interested in any stories about recruitment of coaches or technical directors 

This isn't just backroom staff. TBH. I think the vast majority of your problems have been due to lack of a coherent strategy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

This isn't just backroom staff. TBH. I think the vast majority of your problems have been due to lack of a coherent strategy

Fine you are probably right. It just amuses me how some people think they are can speak about this or that coach being good from a position of authority, when in fact they know about as much as my Mum about how good they are.

What we can do is look at the guy's resume. Which looks good. But we'll never know how good or bad they are.

It's not like footballers who we can actually see on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, champers said:

None of that 6 played much of a part last season so I don't see how things will improve because they leave.

Well getting rid of players that played very little is a good thing - Trimming the squad down & making room for some of our youth team to make the next step up has to improve things, surely ??

Also - Pogba & Lingard were MAJOR disruptions amongst our squad - Glad to see the back of both of them - There has been leaks galore to the press for the last year or so - It aint rocket science as to who the guilty players were.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, RedArmy said:

Lingard - Mata - Matic - Grant - 6 gone.

and still not see the name of Maguire, with him gone 50% of problems solved in a glimpse  555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

Well getting rid of players that played very little is a good thing - Trimming the squad down & making room for some of our youth team to make the next step up has to improve things, surely ??

As well as cutting down the wage bill, therefore freeing up funds for other things and perhaps other players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

Also - Pogba & Lingard were MAJOR disruptions amongst our squad - Glad to see the back of both of them - There has been leaks galore to the press for the last year or so - It aint rocket science as to who the guilty players were.

It is not so much about getting shot of fringe players but NOT getting rid of regulars who failed miserably to deliver under 2 managers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

None of that 6 played much of a part last season so I don't see how things will improve because they leave.

It's pretty obvious we need to clear the deck and allow new players in. This is part of it!

Don't think you have a talent for football management. I won't expect to see you in the Pattaya FC dugout any time soon.

40 minutes ago, champers said:

It is not so much about getting shot of fringe players but NOT getting rid of regulars who failed miserably to deliver under 2 managers.

Well Pogba is one... And you are doing a magnificent job of missing the point again. It's about who can come in and replace those fringe players and challenge the under performing first teamers. Just because we are getting rid of fringe players, that doesn't mean we are bringing fringe players in to replace them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Well Pogba is one... And you are doing a magnificent job of missing the point again. It's about who can come in and replace those fringe players and challenge the under performing first teamers. Just because we are getting rid of fringe players, that doesn't mean we are bringing fringe players in to replace them!

We can all make a judgement about the quality of the players being bought in when you actually buy some.

I predict you will be gazzumped by Champs League contenders for the real quality e.g. Nunez and Perisic so far, more to follow.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, champers said:

We can all make a judgement about the quality of the players being bought in when you actually buy some.

I predict you will be gazzumped by Champs League contenders for the real quality e.g. Nunez and Perisic so far, more to follow.

They'll be some gazzumping for sure. I think we are competing with the likes of Newcastle for players. But we can offer players a lot of money and the chance to be part of the comeback story at a huge club. 

On 6/12/2022 at 2:23 AM, RickG16 said:

But we can offer players a lot of money and the chance to be part of the comeback story at a huge club. 

Stop ordering those bananas smoothies will you.

Your club can't offer anything except money. It's been  ages in our lifetime, can you imagine how long it's been in a young pro footballers life time? Long enough to only remember you as bang average for half of their life. 

You are attracting no one, you don't have a come back story to offer, you aren't in the UCL, nothing has changed at your club except another underwhelming manager has come along. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Stop ordering those bananas smoothies will you.

Your club can't offer anything except money. It's been  ages in our lifetime, can you imagine how long it's been in a young pro footballers life time? Long enough to only remember you as bang average for half of their life. 

You are attracting no one, you don't have a come back story to offer, you aren't in the UCL, nothing has changed at your club except another underwhelming manager has come along. 

Were <deleted> (for now) and we know we are. You are just vexxed because you came away with 2 minor trophies this year after getting all worked up 

Out of interest why aren't you rating ETH?

Edited by RickG16

49 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Were <deleted> (for now) and we know we are. You are just vexxed because you came away with 2 minor trophies this year after getting all worked up 

Out of interest why aren't you rating ETH?

Yeah that was hard to take, 15 minutes away from the title, and a million shots to one in the final almost made me give up the game ????.

I just don't think he is proven, and I don't see any big players being attracted to play for him in your current state. You'd want to know there is going to be a complete restructuring of the club and policies, I don't hear any of that happening.

31 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I just don't think he is proven, and I don't see any big players being attracted to play for him in your current state. You'd want to know there is going to be a complete restructuring of the club and policies, I don't hear any of that happening.

Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CR7 not happy and wants away, Roma and Bayern possible destinations.

Ericsson struggling to make up his mind between Brentford or Utd.

Martial back and atrracting zero interest from other clubs.

Ralf Rangnick on telly watching the BMW golf tourney in Munich.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

And the new guy's top target is a Barca player who would rather not leave. Go figure.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, champers said:

Tis a bit of a joke there isn't it. 

• Like 1

Erikson is probably on holiday. Like any of us considering whether to move employers, why shouldn't he take his time rather than being given a fictitious deadline by the social media hordes.

The truth is he may not come, and I don't blame him. Once you get over the giggle of him choosing between United and Brentford, it might occur to you that he is only coming to replace Juan Mata and we already have Bruno in that part of the pitch. 

16 hours ago, champers said:

Whenever you have a minute, I'd love to know what Ralf Rangnick attending a golf tournament has to do with anything. 

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well, I'm a dyed-in-the wool United supporter however I'd have to agree with your post, because it is a joke.

Unfortunately the beginnings of this joke started a few years ago I would think, and certainly employing OGS as manager/coach was a poor move, even worse when you consider his managerial CV.

Even going back to the David Moyes fiasco, it was clear that some folks high up in United still wanted the days of Alex Ferguson to return, and wanted that quickly, hence the reason they hired and fired their managers in quick succession.

That a club like this with everything at its disposal, and a huge following worldwide, cannot get the basics right, with regards to the right manager, the right players, and the quality players needed in the right positions, suggests that they've got the likes of Coco the clown in senior/decision-making positions – – nothing else stacks up!

I reckon you've been watching football long enough to know that success comes in cycles....

There are a) a few very good teams in the Prem and b) a few clubs with just as much money as us to spend as us, if not more.

We'll just have to try different managers, strategies, formulas until something works. That's just how it is. We have no godgiven right to success. Beating ourselves up about every disappointment since Fergie isn't going to get us anywhere. Just need to keep going.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Whenever you have a minute, I'd love to know what Ralf Rangnick attending a golf tournament has to do with anything. 

I thought you might be interested to know how he is getting on and what he is up to these carefree days.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, champers said:

I thought you might be interested to know how he is getting on and what he is up to these carefree days.

Thanks. Fun fact, RR was living opposite my parents in Manchester. My Mum went to invite him for a cup of tea but he has 24 hour security outside and they wouldn't let her through.

1 minute ago, champers said:

Any vacancies for Schrek? Or should he just bide his time till about October?

You'd think he might have something in the pipeline. Or maybe he just fancied staying on the beach. Don't blame him.