Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

56 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Burnley pipped Spurs to signing Crouch then ????

Vokes  the other way........strange one that. 

Agreed. Real boring transfer window too. Fairplay to Newcastle for smashing their transfer record. Owen 16m 2004 and before that shearer 15m. 

33 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Agreed. Real boring transfer window too. Fairplay to Newcastle for smashing their transfer record. Owen 16m 2004 and before that shearer 15m. 

Yeah. Rumours Spurs and West Ham both in for Batshuyai. Apparently loan terms agreed with WHU but now just announced Palace are going to buy him!........edit, now a loan deal!

Edited by Kadilo

2 hours ago, balo said:

Llorente finally had a good game but I am not convinced yet, he also missed a clear sitter, not the first time. We need a quality striker when our best players are injured. 

But this time it worked, hope it continues. 

i wouldnt go so far as to say he had a good game, BUT huge signs of improvement he aint ever gonna be quick but even after 2 prem starts his mobilty is much improved and allround sharpnes is returning     regarding the miss's ,old old footie sayin  'the time to be worrying bout A STRIKER IS NOT WHEN HE MISS'S CHANCES ITS WHEN HE DOESNT MAKE ANY 'the finishing with a little  patience 1it'll come he just needs support, encouragement and of coarse more playin time , and NOT <deleted> from our knobhead fans   and at 33 given his trck recrd ie 1 in 3 for juve 1 in 2 for swansea in the prem and 1 in 3 ish for spain, he has little to prove,,

Edited by 3 minus 2

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

So concludes another busy window for us!

Seven pts behind the leaders and we are collapsing as usual...oh and we're going to finish behind the great Man Yoo then they will steal our manager etc etc. ????

Any news on the white elephant, i mean the new ground opening? Will it be this year?

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

So concludes another busy window for us!

Seven pts behind the leaders and we are collapsing as usual...oh and we're going to finish behind the great Man Yoo then they will steal our manager etc etc. ????

Only two points behind City after 24 games......thats just mad!!!

And yes, losing our manager, losing our top players, a club in crisis, strapped by stadium debt......

Truth is, the way players and manager have coped with the Wembley, debacle, injury ravaged season is nothing short of remarkable.  

Tough game i think against Newcastle.  Nick a win and with Arsenal likely to lose to City, it will be another stepping stone to another top four. Still a number of players out but we can at least field a half decent side now.  We have to remind ourselves that we still have to play City, Liverpool and Chelsea away so were going to need a bit of a buffer from Chelsea, United and Arsenal.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Any news on the white elephant, i mean the new ground opening? Will it be this year?

I cant see why Pochettino would want to join them.  All that hard work done at Spurs only to have to start again.

He'll be staying at Spurs long term, true to his word and lead the players out in what is going to be the best stadium in the country.........when it opens!!!!!

The only area of dispute is the future of Eriksen.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah. Rumours Spurs and West Ham both in for Batshuyai. Apparently loan terms agreed with WHU but now just announced Palace are going to buy him!........edit, now a loan deal!

Why are you so naive to mention every rumour going ? and worse still you have to put them on here !

Edited by alfieconn

27 minutes ago, carmine said:

I cant see why Pochettino would want to join them.  All that hard work done at Spurs only to have to start again.

He'll be staying at Spurs long term, true to his word and lead the players out in what is going to be the best stadium in the country.........when it opens!!!!!

Don't feed the pigeons carms! :biggrin:

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

There absolutely no chance Chelsea will loan him to Spurs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Why are you so naive to mention every rumour going ? and worse still you have to put them on here !

Show me evidence that I’ve posted every rumour going on here. 

See anyone can play this game. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Don't see how your post relates to my post you quoted.

Ps. You need to contact Support about the ignore  function not working ????

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

See your young lad Sterling on loan to Sunderland. Player I’ve seen you say you rate?

Yes he's highly rated but very raw.  Poch obviously thinks Llorente is the better short term back up and Kane's rehabilitation is advanced from what was previously feared.  But yes, Sterling is very highly rated and needs game time to develop for next season.

• Like 2

An excellent article!

Pochettino needed a trophy for Spurs this year as top-four battle gets tighter

Paul Wilson

The Tottenham manager has his reasons for prioritising league finish but winning silverware is a habit his team need to develop – no one takes photos of a fourth-placed finish

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jan/30/mauricio-pochettino-spurs-top-four-paul-wilson

^The article refers to reaching a plateau.

Alfie, as a logophile (he loves a dictionary), will know that plateau means:

"reach a state of little or no change after a time of activity or progress."

Viewing Spurs progress in the previous 10 finishes (below) and their current league position, have they plateaued or are they soon to progress to winning something (anything?)?

Thoughts?

Screenshot_2019-02-01-19-38-49.png

Edited by Bredbury Blue

36 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^Poch has taken Spurs to a 5th 3rd 2nd 3rd finish.

It feels to me that Spurs are at the same place/level/stage as when 'arry took Spurs to a 4th 5th 4th finish. 

Déjà vu.

Thoughts?

Since Poch has managed a 2nd place and a 3rd place, I'd say you are wrong!

That Redknapp team was decent, but a lot more Spursy than these team. Who are also Spursy when it really matters.

32 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^Poch has taken Spurs to a 5th 3rd 2nd 3rd finish.

It feels to me that Spurs are at the same place/level/stage as when 'arry took Spurs to a 4th 5th 4th finish. 

Déjà vu.

Thoughts?

To be fair spurs are doing well and with a lot of young blood coming through and very little funds being spent. In contrast to man city who are not prepared to take the chance on their youngsters and need to spend in order to stay 2 pts ahead of the competition. From this view I am not sure it's spurs who are platueing. 1.3 billion spent in 10 years on transfers and to only have a gap of 2 pts between 2nd and 3rd is not platueing and the league this year is tighter than ever. Spurs may end up on a points total that would have won previous seasons. 

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

To be fair spurs are doing well and with a lot of young blood coming through and very little funds being spent. In contrast to man city who are not prepared to take the chance on their youngsters and need to spend in order to stay 2 pts ahead of the competition. From this view I am not sure it's spurs who are platueing. 1.3 billion spent in 10 years on transfers and to only have a gap of 2 pts between 2nd and 3rd is not platueing and the league this year is tighter than ever. Spurs may end up on a points total that would have won previous seasons. 

Yeah exactly, I think they've done as well as they realistically could have done. The Leicester season was their big chance to win the league.

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah exactly, I think they've done as well as they realistically could have done. The Leicester season was their big chance to win the league.

But those same positives must be awful for their manager and the stadium is the issue for his lack of support. It's like the worst timing ever. Best manager they ever had best players they ever had, mostly with best years ahead of them but a skeletal squad that just needs maybe a couple of players to get them over the line. I don't even remember spurs getting a loan signing in for ages. Was van set vaart the last?

I think if they are honest most fans of clubs outside the top few will be envious of how well they are doing on a budget. 

I do think that a lot of that comes down to the manager and you can tell the high esteem the players hold him in. I do fear that in some ways they may have peaked in terms of table position purely because they cannot or choose not to ( depending on how you view it ) compete with the big boys above in terms of salaries and amount they are willing to part with to enhance the squad. Ultimately where they are and Champions League qualification/ participation is a massive achievement on its own due to those reasons I believe. 

Whether that will be enough for the fans and the manager longer term only they know but I’m sure there will be a longer term plan once the stadium is all done and dusted. These changes don’t happen overnight. 

What frustrates fans more than anything is seeing your club showing no ambition or not having any sort of positive game plan going forwards or wasting cash willy nilly and going nowhere. Spurs aren’t doing that. 

I liken it to a fat bastard who needs to lose a few kilos to get where they need to be. Some will exercise and set a target of a kilo a month, so will want to lose it all in that time so fast and starve then ultimately fail. Everyone knows for longevity you should do the former. My side tends to try and do the latter so you end up with players on inflated wages not really playing for the shirt and you wind up back to square one because they try and buy to achieve success too quick. 

Sadly Ultimately its a results driven Business and not every team will be run by owners with patience hence the attempted smash and grab by some then sack the manager when it fails. 

Im waffling now 

Bottom line maybe peaked for now but it ain’t a bad peak to have. 

Wanna swap ????

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

could be argued that the 'big chance ' season was 2013 ari wanted tevez levy got him saha ,,will never quite forgive levy 4 that, <deleted> stupid not to have dug deep.

Nice to see everyones still enjoying their obsession with us not buying players and spending money!!

Did you know that since the summer of 2014 City have a net spend of  $750m and Spurs have a net spend of $64m, and we sit only two points behind them.  Our academy is producing with the evidence clear to see.  We are clearly gaining on the other clubs without spending so who are any of you to say otherwise?  

And of course, I am aware of the deep inadequacies held by some and the feelings of dread felt by others that a club spending so little could start winning trophies!????

14 minutes ago, carmine said:

Nice to see everyones still enjoying their obsession with us not buying players and spending money!!

Did you know that since the summer of 2014 City have a net spend of  $750m and Spurs have a net spend of $64m, and we sit only two points behind them.  Our academy is producing with the evidence clear to see.  We are clearly gaining on the other clubs without spending so who are any of you to say otherwise?  

And of course, I am aware of the deep inadequacies held by some and the feelings of dread felt by others that a club spending so little could start winning trophies!????

And doing so playing attractive football to watch as well.

They just don't grasp that we are happy to be in third at this stage and with a shot at two trophies whilst making no signings.

I'm loving it I am.