The week that was in Thailand news: Return of the Rooster Rant!

rooster59

"It was quite well received with several rants striking a cord with readers on Thaivisa"

As a long retired and properly edificated musician I must point out that spell check doesn't always get you out of trouble - it should of course be "chord"!

Or possibly "striking accord"?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Good read and good rant. If it made you feel better and lowered your blood pressure, Great Rant!

There are times when the news can affect..

Hope your break in Malaysia is a success as well.

Geezer

Yes thank you. I somehow managed to finish second in the side event at the World Cup of Scrabble in Penang....my best performance for a while and a good end to the crossword gaming year!

Thanks for your continued support for the column.

Rooster. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 5:59 PM, sambum said:

"It was quite well received with several rants striking a cord with readers on Thaivisa"

As a long retired and properly edificated musician I must point out that spell check doesn't always get you out of trouble - it should of course be "chord"!

Or possibly "striking accord"?

Bravo!

• Like 1

I understand about the bank bit.

I have an ordinary Thai bank account which I use to transfer funds.

Because of immigration hassle, decided to open a two year fixed term account, place the necessary money in it. End of Immigration hassle?

Responded to my ticket number at the bank and 2 hours later, was still awaiting any progress at all.

No one knew what to do. How do you transfer a large amount of money into a new bank account?

Finally I stood up and asked that all my funds be given to me in cash and I would open another account with another bank.

This drew an immediate response from someone in authority. But I was told I needed to go through the whole procedure I had when I opened my first account.

So, 5 copies of my passport, all signed by me.

3 copies of the ID of my wife, all signed by her.

3 copies of my home book all signed.

1 copy of my Thai marriage certificate signed by my wife and I.

Then the actual bank business. About 10 different forms, all had to be signed and countersigned.

Now my writing hand is in the 2nd stages of repetitive strain injury.

3 hours are gone, but wait. Now the young lady must talk to someone on the phone.

3 1/2 hours later, my bladder is bursting, my ticket number was 21 but others are being called to the counter at 68.

My calm demeanor is strained, my smile is a grimace. My wife smiles encouragingly. Stay calm. Smile she cautions.

The paper work is stamped and done. It is 4 hours since I sat in the chair at the counter.

I have my 2 year fixed bank account. But no, it only a one year fixed account. at the astounding rate of 1.25 %. I point out the problem.

We need to start again I am told..  So I just take the new account book, all my paper work and walk out the door with calls of kopen ca following me.

AAAAARH

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Because of immigration hassle, decided to open a two year fixed term account, place the necessary money in it. End of Immigration hassle?

Any account you use needs to allow immediate access to cash - a fixed term account with early withdrawal penalties will probably not be accepted by immigration. Best to put this question in the visa and immigration subforum for clarification. 

16 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Any account you use needs to allow immediate access to cash - a fixed term account with early withdrawal penalties will probably not be accepted by immigration. Best to put this question in the visa and immigration subforum for clarification. 

FYI ......... fixed term accounts are accepted.  Please do not post info that is just your own speculation.

And also,  there are no penalties for early withdrawel.   Just no interest given to account holder.  

SOURCE:   FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE OVER MANY YEARS

1 hour ago, rumak said:

FYI ......... fixed term accounts are accepted.  Please do not post info that is just your own speculation.

And also,  there are no penalties for early withdrawel.   Just no interest given to account holder.  

SOURCE:   FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE OVER MANY YEARS

Plenty of threads on this in the visa forum. Your account would qualify as it allows immediate withdrawals with loss of interest only, but other types of account that don't allow withdrawal without penalties would be problematic. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Plenty of threads on this in the visa forum. Your account would qualify as it allows immediate withdrawals with loss of interest only, but other types of account that don't allow withdrawal without penalties would be problematic. 

thanks for civil response  ????   Actually i no longer read those immig threads as there is so much speculation and why this and why that and misinformation....well, you get the idea.  Simple solution for those doing the lump sum deposit is open fixed acct ( i have used bkk bank for a thousand years) and get the bank letter and go to immig and all is well).  All other financial situations are indeed problematic as are many things

regarding requirements at immig.  Don't know if i'm a genius or just lucky but I haven't ever had a problem.

Each year got easier as i just brought in everything i could think of ......  not much has really changed except

500 baht to 1900 baht and the tm30 requirement.  Still for many it seems like rocket science....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I have 2 accounts as I clearly posted. The immigration dept are more than happy. The 2nd a/c is a fixed rate a/c, I may withdraw the money at any time.

Hope that clarities that for you, no one else seems to be bothered so I am touched by your concern. 

On 12/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

I understand about the bank bit.

I have an ordinary Thai bank account which I use to transfer funds.

Responded to my ticket number at the bank and 2 hours later, was still awaiting any progress at all.

No one knew what to do. How do you transfer a large amount of money into a new bank account?

Finally I stood up and asked that all my funds be given to me in cash and I would open another account with another bank.

This drew an immediate response from someone in authority. But I was told I needed to go through the whole procedure I had when I opened my first account.

So, 5 copies of my passport, all signed by me.

3 copies of the ID of my wife, all signed by her.

3 copies of my home book all signed.

1 copy of my Thai marriage certificate signed by my wife and I.

Then the actual bank business. About 10 different forms, all had to be signed and countersigned.

Now my writing hand is in the 2nd stages of repetitive strain injury.

3 hours are gone, but wait. Now the young lady must talk to someone on the phone.

3 1/2 hours later, my bladder is bursting, my ticket number was 21 but others are being called to the counter at 68.

My calm demeanor is strained, my smile is a grimace. My wife smiles encouragingly. Stay calm. Smile she cautions.

The paper work is stamped and done. It is 4 hours since I sat in the chair at the counter.

I have my 2 year fixed bank account. But no, it only a one year fixed account. at the astounding rate of 1.25 %. I point out the problem.

We need to start again I am told..  So I just take the new account book, all my paper work and walk out the door with calls of kopen ca following me.

AAAAARH

CIMB only take about 30 minutes to open a Speed Saver account ... a whopping 1.3% if you have more than 1M thb in and instant access ...

I found the rant calming ... for me today was just a little stressful ... among other things I drove from BK to Nakhon Pathom and back ...not much change out of 5 hours .................

Edited by JAS21

3 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I have 2 accounts as I clearly posted. The immigration dept are more than happy. The 2nd a/c is a fixed rate a/c, I may withdraw the money at any time.

Hope that clarities that for you, no one else seems to be bothered so I am touched by your concern. 

I'm not concerned in the least - I thought you were asking a question but it was evidently just a good old fashioned gripe. 

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm not concerned in the least - I thought you were asking a question but it was evidently just a good old fashioned gripe. 

No mate, I read roosters amusing as usual post and added my 2 cents worth. I love Thailand but it is very frustrating at times. 

What happened to me was real but I did try to make light of it.

Thats all.

11 hours ago, JAS21 said:

CIMB only take about 30 minutes to open a Speed Saver account ... a whopping 1.3% if you have more than 1M thb in and instant access ...

I found the rant calming ... for me today was just a little stressful ... among other things I drove from BK to Nakhon Pathom and back ...not much change out of 5 hours .................

Thanks for that. I understand your stressful day.  truly do love it here but....

I will stay with my Bangkok a/c and suffer the 0.05% loss of earnings.

For me, it is little wonder that few Thai people save in bank accounts. The interest rate is pathetic to say the least.

Surely there has to be a reason for such a poor return.

Anyway, cheers and have a tinnie to calm the frayed nerves. 

I have a modest proposal. I'd like to see anyone who feels the need to go on the internet and rant, shred, blast, slam, throw shade, or whatever the current ridiculous term is, be required to do it in person, face to face, with the object of their ire instead of unleashing all this generalized negativity into the ether. Barring that, consider getting a Diary.

55 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I have a modest proposal. I'd like to see anyone who feels the need to go on the internet and rant, shred, blast, slam, throw shade, or whatever the current ridiculous term is, be required to do it in person, face to face, with the object of their ire instead of unleashing all this generalized negativity into the ether. Barring that, consider getting a Diary.

Wot ... and miss Roosters Rant

Get up to speed ... this is the electronic age