Non O based on being in Receipt of UK Pension possible in Thailand ?

My Extension of Stay/Retirement Visa was due to expire on the 14th of this month, I let the period of seasoning in the bank run out hoping the Brexit situation would be sorted unfortunately it hasn’t.

My intention was too start again with a Non 0 Immigrant based on being in receipt of my UK State Pension at Hull which I got whilst in the UK. I went there on the 4th  of December, they would only make the start date from then.

On arrival at Bangkok yesterday the IO appeared very confused because I had 2 Visas. She called a colleague over who took me too the side, no hassle really both were woman. I explained what my intentions were and she stamped everything and let me go saying I could have got the Non O in Thailand.

Hindsight is great but could I have got a Non O based on me being in receipt of my UK State Pension here ?

You could not get a Non O visa in Thailand based on your UK State Pension.

The rules for getting what is really a conversion from a tourist entry to a non immigrant entry for purposes of retirement are

• 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. For the initial 90-day non immigrant entry, this deposit does not need to be seasoned. However, you need proof that the money was transferred from overseas.

OR

• 65,000 baht per month income (800,000 baht annually). It is unclear how this would be proved in the future. Historically, an income letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok was needed. The UK authorities have announced that these letters will not be issued in the future.

21 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

As said the Embassy has now stopped issuing income letters so it is anyones guess.

Not yet I think.

"The last date for income letter applications is 12 December 2018"  (today! :wink:)

From https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1061149-british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters/

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not yet I think.

For all intents and purposes that have unless you have already mailed the application or perhaps by email today. Assuming they might look at the postmark to see when it was mailed they might accept one sent today.

You could not get a Non O visa in Thailand based on your UK State Pension.

The rules for getting what is really a conversion from a tourist entry to a non immigrant entry for purposes of retirement are
  • 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. For the initial 90-day non immigrant entry, this deposit does not need to be seasoned. However, you need proof that the money was transferred from overseas.

Which is really quite circular because you can't open a bank account to transfer the money to Thailand while you have a Visa exempt, so you can't the get an O visa for Retirement.

For me, I believe the best would be to get the O Visa in Australia from the Thai Embassy ? Then get a residency certificate, and I should be able to get a bank account, transfer the money across and get extensions in Thailand from there? Or am I misreading the entire visa situation.

Currently I am thinking Phillipines, as it seems significantly easier and I like both places anyway.

15 minutes ago, BumGun said:

For me, I believe the best would be to get the O Visa in Australia from the Thai Embassy ?

It would have to be a OA visa since a non-o visa is not available anywhere in Australia for being 50 or over for retirement.

The only option would be a single entry tourist visa and use it to open a bank account.

Same in the USA as well. And in the UK if not getting a state pension.

5 hours ago, BumGun said:

Currently I am thinking Phillipines, as it seems significantly easier and I like both places anyway. 

The regular folks in both countries are friendly, but immigration is a night and day difference.  If you do not have a preference for Thailand (culture, food, etc), the PI is definitely the place to go.  PI Immigration has a "no fixers" (agents) policy - so no corruption, and "glad to see you" friendly in-person service.  You can stay up to 3 years in the PI as a Tourist w/o leaving, allowing you check out different areas and see if you find a place that suits.

While living in the PI, you can always "visit" Thailand, as long you don't cross the unknown/varying "spent too much time in Thailand" limit they have invented at the Bangkok airports.  Nothing of the sort exists in the PI - they are always happy to see you arrive.