What is with the high rate of deaths here?

bowerboy

1 hour ago, Gracas said:

OP I don't know how old you are, but in my 20's, 30's and 40's I hardly knew anyone that died. Now in my 60's it is not so unusual.

This also includes Thailand as I have been coming here since the late 1970's.

This goes out to Panna ..

"that country has a high attrition rate"

An observation she made when revisiting Thailand 30 years ago and finding out multiple friends and acquaintances were ... dead. These were people in the 20 to 40 year old range. woops and of course that was back in kinder gentler times (right).  

By the way Panna is a doctor, we can rack that up as a "professional" opinion  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts.

i had thought it might be age (I am 48) but it’s not that. No one I know (touch wood) has died from my family or social circles in U.K. or Australia and work circles in Singapore.

Also I don’t live in a “village” in the upcountry sense so it is not something I see everyday. It is what I hear from others (family and friends).

Also it really wasn’t that bad in Bangkok (some colleagues with families upcountry but nothing of the scale I see living out of Bangkok now).

i am convinced the Thais outside of Bangkok die much younger of “old age” because of the incredibly poor quality of the food (including chemicals etc). Trying to find decent quality food in Rayong (day to day supermarket type food) is extremely difficult and as a one time chef I know very well the difference between good and poor quality, I even worry about my own long term health from eating the food here and that is not something I have ever considered before in my life.

And then also the traffic is so jammed in Bangkok that they actually become less dangerous.

It is a fact that Bangkok has the lowest road death toll in Thailand and RAYONG has the highest (so in Rayong you really are driving quite literally on the worlds most dangerous roads).

Thanks for posting those stats and I have seen those before. I think they should separate between life expectancy in Bangkok and life expectancy in the rest of Thailand,

• Like 1

the older we get, the more people that we know have health issues. I have found that in my small country village that yes, people die young but most of the funerals my wife attends, the people are in their 80s and 90s.. the world is a polluted place... so it goes.

Like flying, takeoff optional, landing mandatory. Sometime after birth, death is a certain outcome. In Thailand as in many parts of the world, it is often premature but ultimately not preventable.

Living in the West, similar scenario. When I was 20, hearing of a death of someone I knew personally was generally limited to elderly relatives which is, of course, inevitable.

Now in my 60s I've sadly seen the demise of several of my peers, a few good friends among them, scarily some younger than I! :ohmy:

What I also notice is the increasing number of public figures, (musicians and actors especially) who, have always "been there" since I was young. What I am forced to remember, is that they were already in their 20s/30s when I was still in my teens therefore, now I'm over 60...well you work it out!

Much of  it is perception and the fact that we all tend to forget just how we're all aging!  Sad but true!

And on that cheery note.......:sad:

Edited by VBF