Pattaya drafts inmates to scrape out sewers

Rimmer

Pattaya drafts inmates to scrape out sewers

image.png

PATTAYA:--Prison inmates were drafted to help scrape out clogged sewers along Third Road.

The Sanitation Department coordinated with the Pattaya Remand Prison to put well-behaved convicts to work, climbing down into sewers to scrape out the garbage, muck and other waste impeding the flow of wastewater and storm runoff.

Vacuum trucks also were used in front of Mumaroi Restaurant, but in many cases manual labor was needed and inmates were used instead of paid civil servants to do the dirty work.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-12-14
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Vacuum trucks also were used in front of Mumaroi Restaurant, but in many cases manual labor was needed and inmates were used instead of paid civil servants to do the dirty work.

Two thoughts come to mind.

As stated above, "in front of Mumaroi Restaurant". Maybe the convicts got a superior meal down in the sewer (as compared to Thai jail food).

Again, in front of a restaurant. Maybe the clog was cooking grease.

2 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The Pattaya City authorities have never come to grips with the "self cleansing" installation, in which drains are set with a fall which ensures a minimum velocity of 3 ft per second. Just stick the pipes underground and all will be OK ????

They would need to empty into a reservoir 20-30 feet below sea level.

Remember seeing this years ago in Bangkok. Saw a bunch of guys climbing down the grates and clearing them out with wicker baskets.

Was just watching them until someone told me "don't look at them" and said they were prisoners from jail.

Really surprised me as I didn't see any armed guards guarding them.

BKK been doing this for a long time. Felt so sorry for these guys, a rather large group with a few guards a few months back on Sukhumvit. They worked down in the man holes pulling ropes through the system and emptying caverns and manholes with small buckets. No protection in flip-flops, some with rubber boots. Bizzare  sight in the middle of touristy expensive area. I went to next 7/11 and got some XL bottle of Coke and few boxes of cigarettes for them. MS>

Perhaps if well paid jobs were created from the start then the inmates wouldn't be inmates. They would be proud members of society doing a difficult job at a high salary. Doing it this way is poor reasoning and wastes money and resources.