Prayut says EC will decide whether to allow foreign observers to monitor election

webfact

Prayut says EC will decide whether to allow foreign observers to monitor election

Prayut.png

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made clear today that the Election Commission will be the sole authority to decide whether or not to allow foreign observers to monitor the forthcoming election tentatively scheduled for February 14.

However, Gen Prayut insisted that Thailand must solve its own internal problems to ensure transparency and fairness in order to restore international community’s confidence in Thailand.

Asked by a reporter if there will be any problem if international organizations ask to come to observe the election, the prime minister did not reply but just nodded his head.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayut-says-ec-will-decide-whether-to-allow-foreign-observers-to-monitor-election/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-12-18

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made clear today that the Election Commission will be the sole authority to decide whether or not to allow foreign observers to monitor the forthcoming election tentatively scheduled for February 14.

That must really mean the EC will say what they have been told to say by the PM.

I think it all depends on what the projected outcome looks like.

1) If outcome looks marginal, keep foreign observers away so that results can be "massaged".

2) If outcome looks encouraging, let foreign observers "observe" so that results can be validated.

It is clear from this that the junta leader has already decided (as if we didn't know) that there will NOT be any foreign, truly independent observers of the sham election: he is simply pushing 'responsibility' for this outrageous decision onto the shoulders of the EC (which he controls).

Typical Thai (especially junta) evasion of any and all responsibility .

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Gen Prayut insisted that Thailand must solve its own internal problems to ensure transparency and fairness in order to restore international community’s confidence in Thailand.

Solving your own problems means making good use of resources regardless where they come from.  Thailand buys medicines made outside of Thailand to solve medical problems.   Thailand buys cars and trucks from foreign companies to solve transport problems.  I always feel I am in danger of losing IQ points every time I read this man's remarks.

I think the issue is not that foreign observers would have issues with the conduct of the election which is highly unlikely to be controversial. It's very hard to cheat in Thailand elections these days. So foreign observers will give the conduct of elections a tick.

The issue is more in my opinion that foreign observers and organizations would scrutinize the general context in unwelcome detail, and come to the conclusion that the whole process has been fixed through the junta's constitution with the objective .of furthering the aims of the coup.No need to elaborate since its defects have been discussed on this forum extensively.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Clearly, everybody must now readjust their perception of Gen P as sole authority on all matters.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Asked by a reporter if there will be any problem if international organizations ask to come to observe the election, the prime minister did not reply but just nodded his head.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

25 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I think the issue is not that foreign observers would have issues with the conduct of the election which is highly unlikely to be controversial.

Recall that Prayut recently stated that the presence of foreign election observers would be an admission that the election would have issues. Thus by converse reasoning, the absence (ie., by denial) of foreign observers would indicate that there are no election procedural issues.

If it were true that there is unlikely to be controversial election issues, then Prayut wouldn't oppose the presence of foreign election observers.

In reality Prayut will likely admit (as a symbolic gesture) selected observers from "friendly and understanding" nations such as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar who favor authoritarian governments such as Prayut's government.

I suppose that whether the EC allow obsevers or not, ultimately, will be the way that Thailand is perseived by other Nations going forward into the future.

By allowing observers, Thaiand will show that it is an open, honest Country with nothing to hide from the rest of the World.

2 hours ago, petedk said:

I haven't followed the news for a few days.

When did they decide to tentatively have the election on Valentines Day? That will be a big blow to entertainment venues as there will be an alcohol ban.

Just read on another thread the election is set for the 24th NOT 14th as written here. I understand now.

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

I think the issue is not that foreign observers would have issues with the conduct of the election which is highly unlikely to be controversial. It's very hard to cheat in Thailand elections these days. So foreign observers will give the conduct of elections a tick.

The issue is more in my opinion that foreign observers and organizations would scrutinize the general context in unwelcome detail, and come to the conclusion that the whole process has been fixed through the junta's constitution with the objective .of furthering the aims of the coup.No need to elaborate since its defects have been discussed on this forum extensively.

I agree. All the changes to ballots and gerrymandering, etc, is designed so there need be no shenanigans at the polls themselves. I mean there will possibly be soldiers here and there to 'ensure order is kept' or some other euphemism for 'intimidating by their presence', but that would likely be about it. 

13 hours ago, Eligius said:

It is clear from this that the junta leader has already decided (as if we didn't know) that there will NOT be any foreign, truly independent observers of the sham election: he is simply pushing 'responsibility' for this outrageous decision onto the shoulders of the EC (which he controls).

Typical Thai (especially junta) evasion of any and all responsibility .

Seems to be the consensus that the PM is pulling the strings...not a surprise, but the fact that he is not willing to allow them in (which appears to be likely) would be an indication that he is truly concerned that he may lose if a fair election is held. 

In reality Prayut will likely admit (as a symbolic gesture) selected observers from "friendly and understanding" nations such as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar who favor authoritarian governments such as Prayut's government.

And don't forget China and Russia and maybe even America now they have Trump in charge    55555

•  

Archived