Foreign Worker's Rights

dominique355

Recently, I came across this article in the on-line version of Phuket Gazette:

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Police to crack down on foreign labor

PHUKET: Police have been ordered to crack down on alien laborers using mobile phones or found on the streets after 8 pm, Phuket Vice-Governor Vorapot Rattasima said this morning.

At a meeting at Provincial Hall, V/Gov Worapot said that he had received reports that alien laborers were leaving their registered place of abode after 8 pm and freely using mobile phones, both of which were prohibited by provincial order in December.

“I have met with traffic police and told them to arrest any alien laborers they find on the streets after 8 pm. I would also like the media to look out for and report any violators,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=5518

So, if I understand this correctly, these people are not allowed on the street after 8 PM and are not allowed to have mobile phones? I just wonder how this can be justified in front of human rights and equality. Are these people slaves?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHUKET: Police have been ordered to crack down on alien laborers using mobile phones or found on the streets after 8 pm, Phuket Vice-Governor Vorapot Rattasima said this morning.

At a meeting at Provincial Hall, V/Gov Worapot said that he had received reports that alien laborers were leaving their registered place of abode after 8 pm and freely using mobile phones, both of which were prohibited by provincial order in December.

“I have met with traffic police and told them to arrest any alien laborers they find on the streets after 8 pm. I would also like the media to look out for and report any violators,” he said.

So, if I understand this correctly, these people are not allowed on the street after 8 PM and are not allowed to have mobile phones? I just wonder how this can be justified in front of human rights and equality. Are these people slaves?

My thoughts exactly, I thought Slavery was abolished in LOS..

Just confirms to me I have made the right decision to leave... :o

I beleive this to be true, all of the construction workers ive seen on various sites around thailand are confined to the workers camps by 8pm. As for the mobile thing ,not sure.

Yes and Thai people really do class these people as seriously lower in stature than even the poorest thai of thai society.

Opinion ? not really for me to say as sometimes we as westerners are also looked down upon because we are not native to this land.

Guess it happens everywhere though... ( England for sure anyways )

The report says there are 11,000 foreign workers there. I'm sure the jobs they hold can be done by Thai people. I can only imagine how many unemployed Thai's there are without a job in Phuket because of these workers.

I don't see how they can complain about foreign English teachers when they allow this to go on.

Maybe I'm missing the point somehow, but not allowing the workers to talk on mobile phones seems absolutely nutty. After all every phone card they buy is money that is being spent in Thailand and not sent out of the country. The only explantion I can think of is the old Thai way of letting them know who is boss. Utter maddness and I still haven't ruled out that it may be a typo on the part of Phuket Gazzette.

Once again "Amazing Thailand"...lol

You know, the more I consider this, the angrier I get. How dare the Thais impose curfews and ban people from communicating! These are workers, not criminals! :D

Come on Thaigoon, here is an opportunity to offer up one of your wacky defence's of Thailand... I wait with interest! :o

Thaigoon is too busy justifying theft . . .

How extraordinary of the authorities . . . I wonder what the response would be if Thai labourers here were to be given the same treatment . . .

Concentration camp anyone? Let out during the day to work and kept locked up and in from dusk to dawn . . . amazing racist crap.

How extraordinary of the authorities . . . I wonder what the response would be if Thai labourers here were to be given the same treatment . . .

Concentration camp anyone? Let out during the day to work and kept locked up and in from dusk to dawn . . . amazing racist crap.

Did you ever consider that where ever these workers come from, the conditions may be worse or no jobs at all.

The workers know what they are getting into before they come here to work. Once here and they don't like it they can catch the bus and go back to where ever thay came from.

Whats the big deal?

We have seen disastrous results with our Thai staff's attendance record. Only a few have remained from the start. Even though they have better conditions than your average factory worker, some leave for holidays or sick leave without notice. Some just leave and never even return to pick up personal effects and wages earned. We have been thinking of hiring Burmese staff, same wages and working conditions, even free rent.

Guess what... We took proper steps in order to hire Burmese staff at the regional employment office and it turns out we have to pay an incentive to the province's Governor for every head hired since he manages the foreign worker pool. :o

So the rules mentioned above are no surprise.

I approach each day in this country with a simple maxim; namely that I expect to be suprised, amazed, astounded and disgusted by events I encounter. Reading this thread has managed all 4 feelings in one hit! :o

I am happy for you that all your daily expectation's were so simply satisfied by this thread.

Foreign labourers are treated like cattle here. I have seen gangs of Burmese labourers made to "squat" together and offer a wai begging-type of posture during their brief, massed appearance at the local Immigration office. Burmese are despised by a lot of Thais because of the historical enmity. The Burmese junta must be an especially cruel one to make people flee over the border to be treated like this....

Laotians and Cambodian people probably are treated not much better. Although, they are usually not here from coercion, life "back home" may be infinitely worse / poorer paid for them.

The most despicable treatment though is when they sometimes get shot / murdered before they get paid. :o

Did you ever consider that where ever these workers come from, the conditions may be worse or no jobs at all.

The workers know what they are getting into before they come here to work. Once here and they don't like it they can catch the bus and go back to where ever thay came from.

Whats the big deal?

With your attitude to fellow humans, I wonder if the KK in your nick stands for Ku Klux. With this in mind, I have done some research and found a recent pic of yours...

post-27167-1171960994.jpg

Whats the big deal?

Jesus Christ, what a sad attitude to have. You seem a sick little puppy - how about tattooing them and binding them together with chains?

I agree with the guy who said we should consider the conditions that they originally endured in their own country which are far more barbaric, check out Amnesty Internationals website if you want to hear real stories of brutality and inhumanity.

I have Burmese friends, not such a rarity I suppose, but they are close friends and they all tell me that what they endure here in Thailand is nothing compared to what they have to endure back home. The grass is indeed greener here and there are rich pickings to be earned here compared to Burma.

In many ways, the situation mirrors America employment of illegal Mexicans with the disparity in wages and workers rights dissolved and accepted by both parties in search of cheap labour and for the immigrants, some quick and not so easy money earned the hard way. But I dont hear people sledging the USA for using and abusing human rights the way you are sleighting thai people.

The problem with Burma is that everyone talks but no one seems to do anything about it. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words, until then, we have the present status quo.

JAF

I agree with the guy who said we should consider the conditions that they originally endured in their own country which are far more barbaric, check out Amnesty Internationals website if you want to hear real stories of brutality and inhumanity.

I have Burmese friends, not such a rarity I suppose, but they are close friends and they all tell me that what they endure here in Thailand is nothing compared to what they have to endure back home. The grass is indeed greener here and there are rich pickings to be earned here compared to Burma.

In many ways, the situation mirrors America employment of illegal Mexicans with the disparity in wages and workers rights dissolved and accepted by both parties in search of cheap labour and for the immigrants, some quick and not so easy money earned the hard way. But I dont hear people sledging the USA for using and abusing human rights the way you are sleighting thai people.

The problem with Burma is that everyone talks but no one seems to do anything about it. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words, until then, we have the present status quo.

JAF

I think you missed the point.

Are Mexicans, who are working legally in America, confined to their quarters at 8pm, refused mobile phones, and sometimes murdered rather than their wages paid to them? No.

(It in no way mirrors the US - Mexican situation)

Of course this does not take away from the fact that the situation in Burma is deplorable. It's just a different topic, for a different thread.

I remember, after the disaster in Phuket, the police went around some hotels and looted the safes. Their answer was that Burmese migrants stole police uniforms and did it. This was accepted by all the Thais - case closed. Thais hate the Burmese and treat them accordingly. There is no law and order, or human rights in this country. Have you not listened to the national anthem?

I agree whole heartedly with BkkAndrew's thoughts.

Edited by jasreeve17

Thats the same in many other countries.....

Prohibited to use the mobile phone? Aw, come on, give me a break will you. To all those posters who missed the point.... it is a CRIME to use the mobile, because the Phuket deputy governor ordered the police to arrest them! Is it so difficult to understand that?

It is not about where they are from. It is not about living conditions. It is not about them chosing to come to thailand to work, so if they don't like it, they can pack up and go home. It is about this illogical and draconian way of treating these people! Getting arrested for using the mobile phone? Are they criminals in any sense? definitely not. And this is coming from a simple man, simple brain and a simple comment, that's me. it is not that difficult to see what is happening.

Thats the same in many other countries.....

Would you care to state which ones? :o

I'd like to know which other countries herd their foreign workers into a lock-up at 8 and don't allow mobile phones.

I simply can't believe some of the responses here . . . the grass is greener??? <deleted> does that have to do with anything? Point taken that the less fortunate can earn more here then in their home countries - different subject.

I can't actually understand any rationale for disallowing mobile phones . . . yes, which other countries?

I'd like to know which other countries herd their foreign workers into a lock-up at 8 and don't allow mobile phones.

I simply can't believe some of the responses here . . . the grass is greener??? <deleted> does that have to do with anything? Point taken that the less fortunate can earn more here then in their home countries - different subject.

I can't actually understand any rationale for disallowing mobile phones . . . yes, which other countries?

Yeah, me simple man with simple brain would like to know too. Which countries?

And again, please permit me to remind posters here, that it is not a private arrangement with employers and employees, where the employers does not permit their workers to use the mobile during work time. Getting arrested for it and thrown into jail, and under orders from the deputy governor of Phuket is the main source of irritation that wants to make me slap myself.

Singapore , Malaysia , HK , Japan , Korea .............................................................

I've been living in Singapore for almost 6 years and know for a fact that this is not the case.

Malaysia - nope

Japan - nope

HK - no way

Korea (don't knowfor a fact)

You are talking through your sphincter muscle

do the research ...........................

in Singapore maids work a 7 day week .................

you don't got to dig to far to find the dirt when it comes to foreign workers anywhere ,

add Saudi Arabia to the list ,

and no , chapter and verse I haven't got

google will find it !!