Come one come all! Thailand's tourism top brass in show of confidence

webfact

Bit late I guess. A friend who runs a large Western tourist oriented business successful for 15 years with a bunch of branch offices in all tourist hotspots tells me of steady decline and accelerating last 24 months. He reckons to have to close down all operations within next 24 months unless the tide turns... Similar stories from many businesses... MS>

• Like 1

Just self-adulation...

Or - could anybody imagine himself  (before deciding about where to travel next) to check local newspapers for such ridiculous campaigns???

More likely: doing a thorough Google search about climate, prices, dangers, travel warnings and recent news ...

• Like 1

It's all lies  it's dead here for holiday season in Bkk my friend in phuket is saying its empty  it aren't no holiday season now more but the government and the media look to pretend it's Bussiness  as  usual 

Get with the programme Thailand people are not coming anymore cheaper places to go with less drama.   Its sad really

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

From the reports of the people involved in the arrests, it is very doubtful that you will be deported when accidentally missing a form, and when they change the rules in a way that I no longer meet the requirements I will have to move on.

Same as I expect from foreigners in my home country that don't meet immigration requirements, or are you also fine with that?

The truth is that it's their country, and if you can't agree with the rules, you should not be here, and I'm pretty confident that I will not be shown the door by one Somchai and a pen stroke if i adhere to the rules.

Check what happens very very quickly if people on student visas to Australia miss a class. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Caine said:

Pattaya is in slow decline the same as the rest of Thailand, they’ve never wanted us there now they ain’t getting us. Tough titty.

Can only be beneficial in the long run, actually.

Though, perspectives will vary.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

He's waging a campaign against ILLEGAL foreigners, sorry if you feel yourself targeted by his campaign, as it becomes clear that you have an axe to grind with the man in question

One of my friends who has been to Thailand many times in the past (and lived here some time back) came in through Suvarnabhumi a few days ago.  This time instead of having a 60 day tourist visa, she wanted a visa on arrival.  She was given the third degree because she did not have her 'usual' visa.  She produced her ticket for her return flight and again was questioned because it was more than 30 days in the future.  The immigration officer then got shirty when she said she would get an extension at the local immigration office.  They are military people.  They know no grey - just black and white.  And they don't have the people or customer service skills to cope with westerners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best thing that could happen to Thailand is for no one to come for a year or two - that may change attitudes. Everyone knows its come spend get out mentality doesn’t make for a good holiday. Yes all countries NEED immigration laws but they don’t have to make it so blatant what will happen - most good people KNOW how to follow laws!! They need more sympathy and help for those with families trying to stay legally - until property ownership is relaxed people will always feel unwanted here!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

May you never accidentally miss a form and may they never change your visa so you no longer meet the requirements.

Truth is, you are now and always will be one Somchai and a pen stroke away from being shown the door regardless of what a “good farang” you think you are. 

Oh dear... someone must have had a bad hair day!

• Haha 2