What Helmet For BKK?

OliverKlozerof

If you do not want to spend alot of money on a serious helmet, get a Real. They make open face helmets, and are in the 2,000 to 2,500 baht range. I believe that is the best helmet available here, for the money. Alot of protection. I agree about full face. Though it does offer more protection, it is just too hot for most of us. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

so 65.4% not chin, better than i expected.

That is one way to look at it ... 1 in 3 chance of a faceplant is another.

I bought my first Modular this year, LS2 FF324. Excellent ventilation, my scalp stays dry. Improved peripheral vision - as good as my HJC 3/4 - is another. Plus the xtra protection.

And re: riding gear - sure, it is hot. You do not need it until you need it. Trade Sweat for Plaster, Plates and Pins anyday.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

I use a full face with the internal sun visor. That way you can open the main visor for extra air flow but your eyes are still protected from dust, bugs etc.

The ADV helmets look pretty good as well. Like a motocross helmet with a visor. Excellent visibility and lots of air flow inside the big chin guard. I might try one next time.

Open face are pretty dangerous IMO. I quite like my chin and teeth where they are.

I use a full face with the internal sun visor. That way you can open the main visor for extra air flow but your eyes are still protected from dust, bugs etc.

The ADV helmets look pretty good as well. Like a motocross helmet with a visor. Excellent visibility and lots of air flow inside the big chin guard. I might try one next time.

Open face are pretty dangerous IMO. I quite like my chin and teeth where they are.
so riding in Thailand with the high humidity, a full face helmet is ok? how often do you take the lining out and wash?

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

so riding in Thailand with the high humidity, a full face helmet is ok? how often do you take the lining out and wash?

It's fine. The chin bar makes it a bit hotter but not much and i appreciate the extra protection from the sun, bugs and obviously the ground.

Not sure how often I wash it. I have a few helmets which I rotate so whenever they start to smell. Takes 30 seconds to take out the lining and the gf puts it in the washing machine. Not a big deal, open face helmets need washing too. 

Again, I'm a newbie.... I was watching some vid's on helmets and discovered this thing called a 'pinlock visor insert,' that does a pretty good job of preventing fog. You guys who use full-face helmets...ever get fog? Use one of these?

I'm also curious how many of you have had accidents where your head (hopefully in a helmet), hit the ground. If so, what caused the accident?

Again, I'm a newbie.... I was watching some vid's on helmets and discovered this thing called a 'pinlock visor insert,' that does a pretty good job of preventing fog. You guys who use full-face helmets...ever get fog? Use one of these?
I'm also curious how many of you have had accidents where your head (hopefully in a helmet), hit the ground. If so, what caused the accident?
Pinlock isn't required here, plus often they don't work well caused by leaking. If it was factory fitted that would be different, but usually you have to fit yourself. If you put the visor up a little, maybe as much as an inch you won't get fogging.

As for accidents, the head/chin doesn't always hit the road

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What I find ironic and so typical is to see passengers on taxi bikes never having helmets (incl. myself) and no one bothers ????

For about 7 years I taught English to Japanese in Sukhumvit area and rode moto taxis 2 to 6 times a day. Never once had an accident or saw an accident. I always figured the guy driving probably wanted to live, and was actually quite amazed at how skillful they were. (I did rehearse the words, 'cha-cha!' and 'rawang!' every time I rode, but rarely had to use them.) But then again, if that's what you do all day, every day, not surprising you'd get good at it. Quite thankful to all those guys, actually.

For about 7 years I taught English to Japanese in Sukhumvit area and rode moto taxis 2 to 6 times a day. Never once had an accident or saw an accident. I always figured the guy driving probably wanted to live, and was actually quite amazed at how skillful they were. (I did rehearse the words, 'cha-cha!' and 'rawang!' every time I rode, but rarely had to use them.) But then again, if that's what you do all day, every day, not surprising you'd get good at it. Quite thankful to all those guys, actually.
if you get the full face helmet report back how it is, i guess it may not be too humid during current dry season

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

'pinlock visor insert,'

If your helmet does not have a drop down sun shade, the pinlock insert - which is on the inside of the visor - can be purchased in many different shades, as well as colors - green, bronze, yellow, etc

Whatever the type of motorcycle helmet it should have excellent peripheral vision.

Lots of helmets have restricted peripheral vision so riders see less than they could see. That is obviously bad.

If you buy a helmet test is and compare what you see without helmet to what you see with helmet. If you see considerable less with helmet then chose another one!

https://th.kisspng.com/png-tsjpaa/

Many off road helmet have better view than others.

Another thing which I find helpful is a helpful is a sun visor built in below the normal visor. Something like this (just an example)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THH-TS-80-Plain-Full-Face-Motorcycle-Inner-Sun-Visor-Helmet-Tinted-Visor-Kit-/191640117956

I don't like always a dark visor. But sometimes with sun in your face it's almost a must.

Helmets like that have it always ready to use.

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

is there a downside to having an adventure helmet / motocross helmet? adventure helmet seems similar to motocross but with visor

At 200km/h it will probably get a little windy around your head. But that shouldn't happen too often if you ride only in Bangkok. ????

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

is there a downside to having an adventure helmet / motocross helmet? adventure helmet seems similar to motocross but with visor

The sun / mud shield catches the wind and pulls on your head, of course you only notice this at higher speeds.