Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Doesn't the compulsory mc insurance cover 30K?

Only for the other party,not for you.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I am glad it was helpful for you.

70 + putting their kids thru school? 

Geez, the choices some make..

I know a guy in his early 70s, and he is putting two kids through international schools. (No, this is not me) They are not his kids, nor those of his wife, but those of his wife's brother who has checked out on the family. So, this farang took on the responsibility to raise these kids together with his Thai wife, and he is essentially playing the role of their father. He provides a first class life for them that they could never imagine. They are receiving an international education and are perfectly bi-lingual. He provides them all sorts of extra curricular activities and a great life in a safe and prosperous home. So, yeah, there are a lot of guys out there like this.

25 minutes ago, jesimps said:

A lot of us have been here a long time, from when premiums were obtainable and relatively cheap. I used to be able to return to my home country for any expensive treatment if needed which I can't now. My home currency's bombed and I now have to deposit 800,000 in a local bank. Not so stupid, just cought up in unlucky circumstances. If necessary, I'll move elsewhere. Not a threat, just a fact of life.

A lot of us cannot move somewhere else without really affecting life. I have a Thai wife - sure I could get her PR back in Australia but she is happy here in Thailand and so am I (up to a point - it is these things like this that put a damper on living here). I mean, at least in Australia my wife has a path for PR were as here, it is almost impossible to gain. I mean, if your at least married and looking after a Thai National, you would think they would have some form of an SS scheme for us. I mean it does not have to be perfect (just very basic lifesaving coverage) that we would pay into. 

If this is going to have a trickle-down effect on the Retirement and marriage section, on both sides of the equation, there will be problems. I have health coverage now but I am only 49. When I get older, it will be very expensive to keep such cover going but for me to stay, I just have to pay. This year I spent close to 300K in hospital care (Gall Bladder and pneumonia) but insurance paid. 

I have had 7 Farang friends move to either Vietnam or Cambodia in the last year and at last 5 of my Farang friends and myself will not be renewing of retirement visa but moving out of Thailand FOREVER. 
Thailand is not for everyone but has a lot more to offer than Cambodia. Getting sick when retired in Cambodia or Vietnam won't be pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I know a guy in his early 70s, and he is putting two kids through international schools. (No, this is not me) They are not his kids, nor those of his wife, but those of his wife's brother who has checked out on the family. So, this farang took on the responsibility to raise these kids together with his Thai wife, and he is essentially playing the role of their father. He provides a first class life for them that they could never imagine. They are receiving an international education and are perfectly bi-lingual. He provides them all sorts of extra curricular activities and a great life in a safe and prosperous home. So, yeah, there are a lot of guys out there like this.

I know there are.

Thank you for your post and honest information.

But, my opinion is that they are WWWM.

Weak 

White 

Western

Males

He basically is the type of guy all Thais seek.  Paying for everything and taking care of a Thai family.

I know most do not get it but it is a total manipulation of your life.  But, convince yourself It makes you feel good.  Right??

If one gets off on taking care of a Thai family, then no one can change the thinking.

So, now they cannot afford insurance because they are taking care of Thais.  Gosh, give them a badge!!

I for one know the drill here.  The goal and what it is all about.

So many seem to not get it.

On the big picture they could care less about you and your life.

Have a problem in your life and maybe not pay for one month and see what they do?

HAHA.  

It is all a scam and so many Falang fall for it.

Especially guys in their 70's.

Very sad!!

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand is not for everyone but has a lot more to offer than Cambodia. Getting sick when retired in Cambodia or Vietnam won't be pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, those are joke low life places.

I guess they think we are jealous??

I laugh when I hear people are going there for a much reduced filth lifestyle.

Says a lot about who they are....

There are Thai policies which cover this requirement for a few thousand baht and they have to offer cover to people up to 100 years of age, so no worries on the too old bit.

Please tell me what companies offer health insurance to age 100 for a few thousand baht??

I think this is just another way for immigration to soak the westerners for more money.  Thai insurance is an oxymoron amongst he retirement community.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I know there are.

Weak 

White 

Western

Males

He basically is the type of guy all Thais seek.  Paying for everything and taking care of a Thai family.

I know most do not get it but it is a total manipulation of your life.  But, convince yourself It makes you feel good.  Right??

If one gets off on taking care of a Thai family, then no one can change the thinking.

So, now they cannot afford insurance because they are taking care of Thais.  Gosh, give them a badge!!

Have a problem in your life and maybe not pay for one month and see what they do?

HAHA.  

Very sad!!

I mostly agree with you. I think the guy is being taken for a ride. He is rich and they know it, and the whole family is leeching off him. But it's his life, and he has plenty of bucks and probably doesn't have much back home so if this works for him so be it. He's not an idiot and has been in Thailand a long time and knows the game, but for some reason, he goes along with it. so that's his business not mine.

20 hours ago, z42 said:

Somewhat sensible proposal. But how enforceable, what restrictions are in place (and how to overcome them), and how rife for abuse this requirement will be is what i would be most concerned about at this stage.

This will likely drive people away if it is enforced too rigidly, and more importantly if people can't afford the cover required

Its very simple. Every foreigner must show proof of insurance at the immigration if he or she intend for a long stay.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

The rates for one year on that lower link are 59K for 61-65, 69K for 66-70, and 94K for 71-74. going on up to 250K. And of course you still shell out for any pre existing conditions and other non-coverage.

That will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.  And I've informed the wife.  Paying 94K THB for a policy that only covers 40k OPD / 400k IPD is a scam that is simply a gift to Thai insurance companies.  It I can afford 94k THB and up as I get older, I can afford to self-insure that amount which I can.  This thing is - I don't need it.  I've got an international policy that covers multiple millions in Thai Baht for impatient care which is all that is needed.  Out-patient care is not needed in Thailand.
So, if force to take on an additional 40k/400k policy in order to cross the T's and dot the i's while still maintaining the insurance that actually covers me for real - well, that's it.  Time to find a retirement friendly country and admit that the initial move here 12+ years ago was a mistake and cut my losses.
This is a give-a-way to Thai insurance companies, not a solution for health care issues.  The insurance is a bad joke.  I'm not playing that game.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

No, but it doesn't make you the norm either.

There were a million of so Americans stationed in Thailand during the 1960's and 70's and they are all at retirement age now.  I would imagine I'm not that much of a rarity although I don't know how many know or have tried to get approval for direct billing.  I believe the procedure is listed on ThaiVisa.     

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Total nonsense BS.

I am in my mid 60's and have a very good Aetna plan for about 72,000 b a year.  It actually covers me anyplace in the world except the US.

You must have a lot of medical issues and be close to dying if they quoted you 300,000 b.

Otherwise, total nonsense..

Can you please give some specifics of your policy? Thank you

Another crock of shit the government are trying to put the nail in the coffin or all types of tourists who want to come to Thailand and stay do they not think how much money the older people put into the Thai economy 

I think they are only interested in Chinese and Indians coming to thIland 

not to worry all us old hits can move with our money 

to the Philippines or Cambodia 

and soon the old Burma 

they love our money there 

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I know there are.

Weak 

White 

Western

Males

HAHA.  

Very sad!!

Sad ? why ? if he can do it and is happy with that, why not ? he has a goal in life, not like these fat farangs who drink beer because they have nothing to do of their life 

it's his life, not  yours  

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Absolute nonsense. Rates for expat policies from international companies for someone aged 65 - 69 range from 75 - 150K depending n the company, and that's without deductibles.

No exclusions at all unless you have a chronic pre-existing condition.

At 66 I pay under 3000 USD a year for 1 million in cover, no exclusions.

Even at age over 80 the premiums don't hit 300K.

Can you please give a little more info and specifics? Thank you

I fully agree to that proposal as it would set an end to the burden left on Thai Hospital when they treat foreigners and those can't pay their bills. It is irresponsible not having an insurance - for oneself, for the relatives, for the public and for hospitals.

There is no valid argument for me to object this proposal.

20 hours ago, anterian said:

I thought that was the basic point of the 800 kBaht, to show that one could cover medical expenses. 

I thought the basic point of the 800k Baht was to show one had enough money to live on for the coming year!

does this type of required insurance is for covering accidents? or else?

Actually, i'm using accident insurance since many years ago, VIP class that can cover up to 100k THB per case, and 3 million THB in case of death,

is this what is required or else?

in case the insurance covering accidents, I'm using it regardless they require it or not,

Plz explain a bit more about the proposed insurance,

I fully agree to that proposal as it would set an end to the burden left on Thai Hospital when they treat foreigners and those can't pay their bills. It is irresponsible not having an insurance - for oneself, for the relatives, for the public and for hospitals.

It will not remove the burden as the requirement -- designed to match a specific local policy-- won't meet more than a tenth of the bill for a single catastrophic acvident or illness. And money is wasted on a useless OPD component.

The concept of requiring insurance is good but it needs to reflect actual needs

I.e. minimum 3 million baht inpt cover, no OPD. Otherwide it is simply making money for local companies while still leaving people unable to cover their medical costs.

And there needs to be some sort of option for the uninsurable. Not a small number among retirees. Diabetics, emphysemics, people with heart disease etc.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

Ok my friend walk into any hospital in Thailand and tell them you need surgery but have no money....What would happen?.....They would kick your poor ass out into the street is what would happen....Or tell you to start a Go-Fund-Me page...

Please stop repeating this lie that poor deadbeat farangs are a burden to Thailands hospitals.....The number of farangs who skip out on their bills is tiny..Most farang are not even given the opportunity to skip out of paying.....

does this type of required insurance is for covering accidents? or else?
Actually, i'm using accident insurance since many years ago, VIP class that can cover up to 100k THB per case, and 3 million THB in case of death,
is this what is required or else?
in case the insurance covering accidents, I'm using it regardless they require it or not,
Plz explain a bit more about the proposed insurance,
They ate talkingabout comprehensive health i surance NOT personal accident insurance.

Do not be misled by what they require. 400k won't begin to cover many hospital bills. You need 3-5 million cover per incident or around 10 mill per year (some policy maximums are per event and some are per year).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.  And I've informed the wife.  Paying 94K THB for a policy that only covers 40k OPD / 400k IPD is a scam that is simply a gift to Thai insurance companies.  It I can afford 94k THB and up as I get older, I can afford to self-insure that amount which I can.  This thing is - I don't need it.  I've got an international policy that covers multiple millions in Thai Baht for impatient care which is all that is needed.  Out-patient care is not needed in Thailand.
So, if force to take on an additional 40k/400k policy in order to cross the T's and dot the i's while still maintaining the insurance that actually covers me for real - well, that's it.  Time to find a retirement friendly country and admit that the initial move here 12+ years ago was a mistake and cut my losses.
This is a give-a-way to Thai insurance companies, not a solution for health care issues.  The insurance is a bad joke.  I'm not playing that game.
It says if you have your own cover, you won't need their's.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Pib said:

You do need Medicare Part B when reaching age 65 for your Tricare coverage to continue.   Upon turning 65 your Tricare Overseas/Select ends for you unless you have enrolled in Medicare Part B...then you are automatically transitioned to Tricare for Life coverage. 

You can not take advantage of the Medicare Part B coverage while outside the U.S.....you only have the Tricare coverage....but once setting foot back in the US (even for a one day visit or moving back permanently) you are covered by both Medicare and Tricare.

You don't need it when under age 65....I still have 20 more years before I reach 65 (knock on wood).

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

A lot of the details have to be worked out before this can be implemented.  

In a police state, details are not worked out. Laws are facade. every consulate will make up their own rules. And, of course, immigration police is also make their own rules and I bet they will require some form of insurance. It is a bonanza for insurance companies. 

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

here're a few posters on here who think that apart from themselves, all farang are chain-smoking, womanising alcoholics. A good shrink would sort them out I'm sure.

If you spend your time in Nana and Soi Buakhao, you will certainly think so. 

Archived