Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Yes please as I have enquired numerous times to many companies and there is to my knowledge no insurance company that will cover once you are over 70 and I'm 76. Pre existing conditions rule out a lot of under 70's too.

How many over 70's are there in the country having a great imput to the economy ?

I got mine here last year at 64, including accident insurance and it is a 20 year policy.

13 hours ago, Longcut said:

What happens when you are too old to obtain insurance?

13 hours ago, steve73 said:

Or those with pre-existing conditions..?

52 minutes ago, johnhw said:

Am over 70 and uninsurable at ANY price

According to several posts already, it's not a real problem,

even with pre-existing conditions, as long as no more than 100 yo :cool:

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

According to UbonJoe, the cover offered by Thai companies for this requirement has an age limit of 100 years.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1074466-move-to-make-health-insurance-mandatory-for-long-stay-visas/?do=findComment&comment=13672836

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You cannot be too old if under 100 years old according to this insurance company participating in the insurance for the OX visa.

https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XB9lTFwzaUk

Sounds like the Thai govt is going down the same road as the requirement to get a 10 year O-Visa, except if the news article is right the insurance would not have to be from a Thai insurance company. 

Below is a partial quote from Thai Embassy Washington D.C. website regarding 10 year O-X Visa medical insurance requirements.  And within that partial quote is a link to Thai companies offering medical coverage and it includes the premium prices....but here's the link again: https://longstay.tgia.org/

http://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

7. Health insurance plan as listed on website http://longstay.tgia.org. Coverage requirements for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 bahts and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 bahts.

13 hours ago, DepDavid said:

And what about those over 60 who can’t get insurance?  Is there going to be a plan available for them?

Hoping that the government will make a plan available for us over 60. They did it once so it would be good to go back and do it again.

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

The big question is how long before they start focusing on the tourists and insisting they have some insurance too.”

If more Chinese travel to Thailand just because of waving visa fee then no Chinese will come to Thailand if there is mandatory health insurance required. 

Yup. I don't know the details, but I'd be willing to bet a very tiny percentage of Chinese tourists who come to Thailand have any insurance coverage. At the same time, the government will not do anything to distress this already depressed demographic as they need tourist numbers, so logically pick on the expats, as they are seen as the ones adding less value.

12 hours ago, Danthai said:

Those living or visiting here who are retired US military already have very good US Government Insurance called Tricare Select OS.  To use overseas they must have both part A and B medicare coverage. It has excellent coverage for Retired and their families.

You don't need Medicare to use Tricare here in Thailand....I use it for me and my family (2Kids)....the catch is you pay up front and you get reimbursed via direct deposit after you upload your receipts via Tricare Online. 

Those living or visiting here who are retired US military already have very good US Government Insurance called Tricare Select OS.  To use overseas they must have both part A and B medicare coverage. It has excellent coverage for Retired and their families.

But you have to pay out of pocket and then file claim, as there are no Drs, in Thailand that they have on their plan.

But you have to pay out of pocket and then file claim, as there are no Drs, in Thailand that they have on their plan.

2 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

Hoping that the government will make a plan available for us over 60. They did it once so it would be good to go back and do it again.

They will do no such thing....wishful thinking. 

Best they might do is provide a few weblinks to companies which have medical insurance plans for long term stays like for those on a 10 year O-X Visa.  Like the weblink given a few posts up.

4 minutes ago, Rahibew said:

It seems thailand gripes about there tourist counts and then does everything they can to drive people away,I say if thailand doesn’t want our money I’m sure Vietnam nam will gladly take it...

People on O-A "Long Stay" Visa are not "tourists" ...

20 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I would hope they would also provide some way to buy into the 30 baht system which they already do for documented foreign laborers.

Which would be a good idea for both those who pay and for the healthcare system.

However it would not benefit the friends of the government who run the insurance companies.

In effect they will function in the same way as tax farmers, except they keep most of the "taxes", the rest earmarked for the "Buy Benzes For Needy Senior Government Officials Who Do Good Things For the Insurance Industry" charity.

It's coming for everyone here. All those "better than other" contributors better have all their ducks in row so to speak.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge for immigration officials who don't need to research any new rules because we as a group hand them these ideas daily on various forums.

400k doesn't get you much anyway.

Always keep the road "home" clear by never soiling it. One day we may need to return...

29 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

Insurance is not a luxury 

it is a must 

there is no such thing as cheap and good insurance 

i have been paying my insurance for 43 years .... it is not cheap 2000 euros/year and does only cover 80%

Thais should not have to pay for 

visitors médical bills should they not take on insurance 

you all all have budgeted sex alcohol and smoking 

better factor tor in health insurance 

You got a few laughs on this but your are 100% right on I think.

The guys I know do budget for everything you say, but none have insurance all are over 60.

Their health and potential life are truly last on the list.

I tell them don't ask me for anything when you are lying in a Thai hospital with your GoFundMe page....

It seems that they haven't thought this through very well. What of those who have insurance but only in their own country? For the price of the deductible you get a plane ticket back home? Would that insurance count? And of course, does immigration have the ability to check up on all the foreign insurance carriers and policies?

Looks like they are attempting to plug leaks in a the old rusty bucket piecemeal, leaving themselves in an ever growing paperwork morass.

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

It's another scheme to extract even more money from farangs, this time to boost the profits of Thai Insurance Companies.

According to the story, just look who is in on the planning for this rule: the Office of Insurance Commission, the Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association.

I'm sure all they have is your interest at heart and financial gain is the last thing on their minds.

5 minutes ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

You don't need Medicare to use Tricare here in Thailand....I use it for me and my family (2Kids)....the catch is you pay up front and you get reimbursed via direct deposit after you upload your receipts via Tricare Online. 

You do need Medicare Part B when reaching age 65 for your Tricare coverage to continue.   Upon turning 65 your Tricare Overseas/Select ends for you unless you have enrolled in Medicare Part B...then you are automatically transitioned to Tricare for Life coverage. 

You can not take advantage of the Medicare Part B coverage while outside the U.S.....you only have the Tricare coverage....but once setting foot back in the US (even for a one day visit or moving back permanently) you are covered by both Medicare and Tricare.

Hopefully, this heinous administration will be long gone, before any of this comes into effect. Most of us are covered anyway, or can afford health care, when it is required. The last thing we need is a draconian, ignorant, incompetent government telling us what we have to do. Just another example of the rampant xenophobia currently being demonstrated by this utterly feckless regime. Alot of ex-pats are leaving. This is the slowest peak season in memory. If they are trying to destroy the golden goose, that comes with ex-pats spending a bundle of cash here, while living law abiding lives, and demonstrating respect and kindness towards the Thai people, in addition to sabotaging Western tourism, I would say they have had a great deal of success with that. 

I dont  have a problem with the yearly medical cover as have my own

But reading the papers lately thought they would be looking more at the tourists who come here with No insurance  or insurance that does not cover all eventualities

Hence the increase of Go Fund Me  actions taking place in covering tourists shortcomings   Medical ect 

3 minutes ago, zydeco said:

According to the story, just look who is in on the planning for this rule: the Office of Insurance Commission, the Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association.

I'm sure all they have is your interest at heart and financial gain is the last thing on their minds.

point taken

8 minutes ago, The Snark said:

And of course, does immigration have the ability to check up on all the foreign insurance carriers and policies?

Immigration has nothing to do with that. :sleep:

It's about the OA-Visa, a visa that you only get in your own country. So I think it's not a big problem for your local Thai Embassy to check an insurance of your country. :cool:

Archived