Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, laislica said:

Didn't Thailand add money to every air fare to cover this already?

The big question is, do they actually pay out?????

By 70+ one is likely to have pre-existing conditions for every ailment?

Then if they can rule your accident as Your reckless behaviour.....

Buying insurance at age 70+, not easy or cheap.

I have 1m BHT in the bank as my emergency fund.

Although I have a retirement visa, I stay less than 3 months per year nowadays.

New rules like this will mean my wife visits alone and I stay in Europe where we both have full comprehensive NHS cover.

When I was in Thailand, I tended to visit resorts and spend loadsa cash, the ole millionaire for the month syndrome.

Looks like I'll be spending that cash elsewhere then, in places where I feel more welcome.

If say you are travelling from the UK to Thailand for your 3 month trip, then yes, you can buy travel insurance, but right, you might not get cover for pre-existing conditions. What you will get though is at least accident insurance cover. An insurance policy rule re reckless bahaviour is not peculiar to Thailand. Yes, if you will decline to travel without full comprehensive cover over the age of 70, then post-Brexit, Bournemouth for your future hols may very well be the destination of choice.

56 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Yet another way to scam farang????

I'm surprised farang are not charged for breathing! LOL

Health care is not all that here.

I've known many farang go into hospital, comimg out dead.

Many of us know wise guys who refuse to go to a hospital for diagnosis, treatment or any other reason for that matter. Being cheap? They say not.

39 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Unfortunately, that is a significant statistical possibility, based on the sample-group that tends to go to hospitals.  I try to avoid them, myself, if at all possible (knocks on wood).

My Thai wife received far better care in a govt hospital here for a minor surgery, than she would have received with full insurance in the USA.  There, she would have been stuffed into a car and sent-away right out of the recovery-room - but here, received several days of in-patient recovery-time follow-up care, plus later out-patient visits.  I hope I am here when/if something goes wrong health-wise.

39 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Many of us know wise guys who refuse to go to a hospital for diagnosis, treatment or any other reason for that matter. Being cheap? They say not.

Anyone can have to go in hospital. It's not only a question of young or old, good or bad health, but also all kind of small or big accidents...

Last case I know: the guy slipped in his bathroom and hit his head hard on the sing. KO and loss of lot of blood :ohmy:. He was lucky a friend gave the alert not getting answer at the door and hearing the phone ringing inside... Very weak, he had to stay one and half days at hospital.

This mandatory insurance will be largely worthless for many with pre-existing conditions, prohibitively expensive for older people, and virtually useless for most since it's only 400,000 bt of cover anyway. It would probably cover many requirements in a government hospital, but wouldn't stretch to even a few days in an International standard hospital.

Anyone wanting International Standard of care probably already has their own insurance cover anyway (although probably not the OPD, since this is usually cheap enough here), or has sufficient funds to "self-insure" at least for one or two serious occurrences.

But if (and it's still a big IF at this stage) this type of cover is going to be required for annual extensions, then it would make more sense to keep 400,000 bt of the "seasoned" cash as a minimum throughout the year in a "locked" account accessible only for medical use, or when leaving the country for good... and for this to be a new requirement for the annual extension. Most people I know who use the seasoned cash, already try to keep it largely intact throughout the year, and live off regular income anyway (often income that is not easily "proven", such as foreign savings or investments).

For those who use the "income" method (if it is still available), then the largely useless insurance may still be required.

Anyone in hospital for any reason, that cannot guarantee sufficient funds for their expected stay should receive just the basic/minimal stabilisation and then be expected to repatriate to their home country...

Anyone obtaining fraudulent cover by deceptive means (as some posters here are suggesting) should fully suffer the consequences if it turns out they do not have adequate cover.

Sorry if anyone feel this is a bit extreme, but the alternative to simply to go home. Thailand is NOT a nanny state.

As for those who claim Insurance is a scam: almost, but not quite.  It's a business that has high operating costs, and is expected to deliver a profit for its shareholders. It probably pays out 70-80% of the premiums it receives. Clearly, on average, it is better to self insure. Unless you are one of the few who require very expensive medical procedures... And despite what people say, very serious medical problems are actually quite uncommon.

I was insured with BUPA (Thai) for 2 years until they welched on my first claim. The cost of that treatment (and a few other hospital stays) have been more than met by not paying the thieving <deleted> any more premiums for the past 6 years.

I read one of the previous posts saying this new policy mandatory insurance is set for elder guys above 65 years old?

also a notice, what this insurance type? how much to pay per year?

if any links to read more details will be appreciated,

thanks.

I don't know where you get your figures from.  A couple of years ago my wife (now ex) had what I would class as minor surgery - an emergency repair to one of her falopian tubes following an ectopic pregnancy. She spent 2 nights and 3 days in the Bangkok Hospital, Korat (not known for its low prices) and the total cost was 88,000 baht - nowhere near 400,000.
Minor surgery without complications and if not laparoscopic won't run to 400k but major surgery will and highly specialuzed major surgery, or major with complications, will run into millions.

Shouls also note costs are higher in Bangkok.

Hip replacement in top end hospitals around 500-600k. Cardiac surgery 600l-1 mill not including care for complications which can eadily lead to total bill of 3-4 million. Prolonged stay in a neuro ICU with multiple neuro surgeries (for stroke or head injury), also in the millions.

400k is way, way too low. If you go through all the many crowd funding appeals by people unable to pay their hospital bills in Thailabd the amounts were usually well over 1 million baht. Even those in government hospitals.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As more information becomes available, a lot of folks here will have egg on their faces for premature comments made -  jeez, 27 pages and counting...........one important item of the proposal:

Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. They will be able to apply for long-stay visas using their foreign insurance policies, he said.   

So they are not targeting those of us that have adequate health insurance, just the people that want/have long stay Visa's and don't.  Can't say as I blame them......given some long stayers have been hospitalized, and unable to pay.  Though we all know most of the guilty parties are Tourists...............so, they should set up a booth in Swampy and DMG selling the equivelant of Motorcycle Accident Insurance to all the Tourists that can't prove they have medical insurance - Ka Ching, Ka Ching!!!...........as for the Border crossings??  Same Same  Ka Ching on steroids!!!!!!!!!  Accident/Health Insurance, or no entry ............. Yep, a big fat cash cow, and also highly susceptible to bribery  and would insure no one can do a runner after receiving medical treatment after an accident, overdose, jumping ah, falling, from a balcony etc etc etc.  I'm not worried, my insurance plan covers me in Thailand and has a much, much higher premium than the proposed one.    Peace

I don't know where you get your figures from.  A couple of years ago my wife (now ex) had what I would class as minor surgery - an emergency repair to one of her falopian tubes following an ectopic pregnancy. She spent 2 nights and 3 days in the Bangkok Hospital, Korat (not known for its low prices) and the total cost was 88,000 baht - nowhere near 400,000.
Minor surgery without complications and if not laparoscopic won't run to 400k but major surgery will and highly specialuzed major surgery, or major with complications, will run into millions.

Shouls also note costs are higher in Bangkok.

Hip replacement in top end hospitals around 500-600k. Cardiac surgery 600l-1 mill not including care for complications which can eadily lead to total bill of 3-4 million. Prolonged stay in a neuro ICU with multiple neuro surgeries (for stroke or head injury), also in the millions.

400k is way, way too low. If you go through all the many crowd funding appeals by people unable to pay their hospital bills in Thailabd the amounts were usually well over 1 million baht. Even those in government hospitals.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:47 PM, Youlike said:

And what about the VIP visa's, do they also need to take or show a healthcare insurance to stay in their condo? (some condo's gave a VIP visa for free if you bought a unit from them).

What's a VIP visa? Never heard of this type of visa before in Thailand. Please explain.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

What's a VIP visa? Never heard of this type of visa before in Thailand. Please explain.

He probably meant Elite visa, not VIP visa.

Elite Visa is categorized as a Tourist visa, not a Long Stay visa, so should not been concerned.

Didn't Thailand add money to every air fare to cover this already?

The big question is, do they actually pay out?????
By 70+ one is likely to have pre-existing conditions for every ailment?
Then if they can rule your accident as Your reckless behaviour.....

Buying insurance at age 70+, not easy or cheap.
I have 1m BHT in the bank as my emergency fund.
Although I have a retirement visa, I stay less than 3 months per year nowadays.
New rules like this will mean my wife visits alone and I stay in Europe where we both have full comprehensive NHS cover.

When I was in Thailand, I tended to visit resorts and spend loadsa cash, the ole millionaire for the month syndrome.
Looks like I'll be spending that cash elsewhere then, in places where I feel more welcome.

That idea has been discussed in govrrnment but AFAIK nothing yet done on it.

If here only a few months a year travel policy is the way to go. There are plans specifically for older people and some will include stabilization and repatriation for acute exacerbation of pre-existing conditions.

17 hours ago, moogradod said:

I just wonder why so many speak with ease about relocating to (as an example) Vietnam. I thought that Vietnam does not provide a possibility to stay long term. Did all these friends open businesses there or how did they do it ? Sorry this is off topic - or is it not ?

Even though I have a one year multi-entry for Vietnam, I am supposed to depart every 90 days, quick border runs to Cambodia are perfectly acceptable, so one day 4 times a year, you take a bus to Cambodia and back late the same day.  There are various Business Visa's, Marraige Visa's, Residence Visa's but too many for this off-topic post.

14 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. //

So they are not targeting those of us that have adequate health insurance, just the people that want/have long stay Visa's and don't.

Problem seems to be that most those who already have a foreign insurance

have one that doesn't meet the requirement for OPD... :ermm:

I've known many people also who went into hospital in the UK and came out in their box..pan bread[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I say raise the yearly to one million b in the bank and mandatory health insurance.

Let's get rid of the lowlifes that are a constant cancer on this country..

I say raise the yearly to 50 million in the bank and mandatory health insurance. 

Then we can really get rid of the lowlifes that infest this country...

Gee I sure hope this does not include yourself......

I'm asking few things:

1) what type of insurance is this?

2) how much does it cost: yearly?

3) to what foreigner age group this policy will apply?

please be specific, help us to understand things clearly,

so everyone will be informed correctly, to be prepared accurately,

thanks.

On 12/25/2018 at 4:19 PM, marcusarelus said:

I had a friend who the Thai hospital was starving to death while waiting for him to die.  I brought him sandwiches and that's all he got to eat.  If you want to go that way I guess each to his own.  

im prepared  and  fully  accept  the  risk.

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The Elite Visa is a legal system to pay them off in a lump-sum to not pretend to care if you have any money left to support yourself.  In this respect, it works the same as paying them off annually via an agent - but for longer periods of time, and available to under-50s who don't have Thai family and don't work here. 

Insurance was included in the other longer-stay visa - the "OX" - but not the Elite, so I suspect this is unlikely to change.  And, yes, that does make it more "attractive" - which could be a motivating factor.  But, for now at least, the insurance requirement is only proposed for Non-OA 1-Year ME Visas.

I understand..... the holder of other Visas never need medical treatment ???????? ????

38 minutes ago, kannot said:

im prepared  and  fully  accept  the  risk.

You are prepared to be starved to death into you die for the privilege of living here?

Youre either feeding an addiction or have no self worth whatsoever. It’s tragic either way. 

That’s a horrible way to go and is totally unnecessary when there are so many other options available.

25 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Gun ownership ??  wow what a bonus ! Works well in the US eh ?

It does work well. If you had any idea what was actually going on there with gun violence and statistics, it’s predominantly an inner city problem. Much of it is gang and drug related and it’s generally contained.

Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. And considering many criminals already have one, it makes sense to have one and be trained on how to use it. 

6 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

...For those that this is a deal breaker start looking into Panama. Get your permanent residency in about 2 months, own land and homes, gun ownership is allowed, and there is a good chance for citizenship in a few years as well. For the pensioners it's only $1000/month requirement and that gives you discounts on things all throughout Panama. These are the guys to go to. https://www.joyful-feet.com/panama-citizenship/

One experience with buying property in Panama:

Richard Heart is a well known colorful personality in the BTC community - 2 minute story  ~1:50:25 - 1:52:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_1JFE_9dI

1 minute ago, malagateddy said:

Think everyone should just chill out till the specific details are announced..too much what if'..ah buts just now.
Get on with your life and enjoy it as best you can

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quite right. Every now and then, the Thais like to create rumours aimed at the foreigner community. It gives them a great feeling of power. Sometimes it happens but many times it just fizzles out.

7 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

I have been telling people this for some time now. This is a very obvious next step in the cracking down on all Farangs. Every time they start cracking down on illegal immigration they always have a harsh response hand and hand that affects legal immigration as well. Why do you think these 'Farang in hospital with no insurance' stories are everywhere and get constant play? Because they are gearing you up for the mandatory health insurance when the time comes and so you don't feel such a shock to hear about it.

For those that this is a deal breaker start looking into Panama. Get your permanent residency in about 2 months, own land and homes, gun ownership is allowed, and there is a good chance for citizenship in a few years as well. For the pensioners it's only $1000/month requirement and that gives you discounts on things all throughout Panama. ...

Paraguay and Belize are also easy for PR and citizenship.  Most countries down there have hospitals with good docs for those with money (but still cost a fraction of the USA). 

The worry with all of them (Uruguay, less so) is the small middle-class, ethnic divisions, and a robin-hood/gangster culture element - which makes them inherently unstable over time, and generally unsafe.  "Farang" and "Gringo" both have an "outsider" element, but do not share many other negative connotations.

One nice thing about SE Asia - I have never felt like I needed a gun here to be safe.

Archived