Quiet days on Koh Samui...

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

The mandatory insurance suggestion was for (the newer) non-o long-stay visas, not for extension of stay based on retirement.

But you need a Type O-A to get the extension of stay based on retirement and it is the Type O-A that they are introducing the mandatory insurance for, so surely that effects everyone on a O-A not only those applying for a new one?  And it was not a mere suggestion, it has already been agreed by the medical hub commitee and is currently being drafted for the cabinet to turn into legislation, it looks as if it will happen.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Didierhardy said:

Why should we care how many tourists are in Thailand or not in Thailand? Ridiculous to analyse or to observe. It's simply not a Falang issue. 

But it is a farang issue, for one it is farangs who are not coming in the same numbers and secondly there are so many farang investors in the tourism industry, even the pimps are farangs these days.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

But you need a Type O-A to get the extension of stay based on retirement and it is the Type O-A that they are introducing the mandatory insurance for, so surely that effects everyone on a O-A not only those applying for a new one?  And it was not a mere suggestion, it has already been agreed by the medical hub commitee and is currently being drafted for the cabinet to turn into legislation, it looks as if it will happen.

Not according to other threads about this subject, the "long-stay" non-o-A is different from the 90-day non-o, or the 1-year multiple entry non-o with 90 days for each stay, which is used for extension of stay based on retirement.

The long-stay non-o-A is also based on retirement, and include similar requirements as for extension of stay, but to be shown in your limited home country (it's not all countries this visa can be issued), plus some extra claims (among others, no criminal records and health certificate), whilst your equivalent to 800k baht deposit can be shown in a bank in your home country. The visa can be extended for one 12-month period only, after which you'll need to start all over again if you wish to stay longer time; this is according to what's been posted in the other threads, including replies from some of the Thaivisa-experts in health insurance and visa.

There is also a non-0-X long-stay visa for 10-years, where 400k/40k baht health insurance is mandatory.

So far there is not any mandatory health insurance demand for "normal" retirement extensions, even it has been discussed a number of times, including suggestions for an affordable mandatory governmental health insurance, or annual fee, for public hospitals only.

49 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Not according to other threads about this subject, the "long-stay" non-o-A is different from the 90-day non-o, or the 1-year multiple entry non-o with 90 days for each stay, which is used for extension of stay based on retirement.

The long-stay non-o-A is also based on retirement, and include similar requirements as for extension of stay, but to be shown in your limited home country (it's not all countries this visa can be issued), plus some extra claims (among others, no criminal records and health certificate), whilst your equivalent to 800k baht deposit can be shown in a bank in your home country. The visa can be extended for one 12-month period only, after which you'll need to start all over again if you wish to stay longer time; this is according to what's been posted in the other threads, including replies from some of the Thaivisa-experts in health insurance and visa.

There is also a non-0-X long-stay visa for 10-years, where 400k/40k baht health insurance is mandatory.

So far there is not any mandatory health insurance demand for "normal" retirement extensions, even it has been discussed a number of times, including suggestions for an affordable mandatory governmental health insurance, or annual fee, for public hospitals only.

Why would they introduce a compulsory insurance on a visa type that is only issued in some consulates and is almost exactly the same as other visas issued in others?  I expect it will be all or nothing, but we will see.

On 12/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, spidermike007 said:

Years ago, when I used to live on Samui, it got so packed during peak season, it was hard to park your motorbike, in Central Lamai. This is the slowest peak season in memory. That is the case all over Thailand. Prayuth has done everything in his power to sabotage the tourism industry, in regard to Western tourism, which used to be the golden egg. He is also sabotaging the goodwill of many ex-pats with his biggest fool, the biggest joke, their xenophobic behavior, and fake nationalism nonsense. 

Tourism being down is a bonus for us. But, there are an awful lot of Thai people that are really hurting right now. And do the authorities care? Not one iota.

Does the average tourist really care about government ideologies though? IMO it's more likely down to the economy in tourists' home countries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks. I didn't mention it in my long enough posts, but that's also my impression, and I've often said it when posting other places about tourism on the island.

I have friends working with serviced villa rental a couple of places, even including a private cook, and they are normally very busy. One of my Danish friends also used a luxury villa for his stay with an extended family.

Next to my house are two villas used for rental, and first I thought that 100,000 baht a month for a two-bed, plus a small child room, villa was expensive. But the guests, two pairs and one with children, said that the alternative would be two smaller old bungalows for 1,700 baht each without pool area; i.e. 3,400 x 30 = 102,000 baht excluding the extra fee for children in same room, and now they got a new build villa with also kitchen and living room, and a private pool, all on the same beach as the used to stay 50-100 meter further down, same restaurants and same facilities.

And even my neighbor's big 3-bed luxury villa for 15k baht a day is actually relative affordable compared to staying beachfront in a high-end resort, if you can fill two or three bedrooms.

Thanks for your post @Tropicalevo, that explains a lot a lot about the "missing tourists"...????

And PS:
Bangkok Air got permission to expand from 36 to 50 operations a day in Samui Airport last year, with could be another 14 roundtrips with some 140 pax each, i.e. up to 2,000 more incoming guests a day.

The 50 operations a day has long be surpassed. Now we have about 76 flights a day. That is

more than double the original 36 flights a few years ago.....

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, stevenrossvanduyn said:

It may be to do that it  costs over 500 NZ dollars return to fly from BKK- Samui Return

Outrages is my thought

Lots and lots of people doing it via Surat.

Hmmmm. What was I going to say on the topic.....

Oh yeah. I pay 36k per 6 months and have done for the last 9 years. All up, such as location and security, it is exceptionally cheap No way could I find something close but these days I could get something better or at least as good for the same price quite easily. Suggests oversupply to me.

15 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What really annoys me is the inflated prices for Christmas and New Year meals/events. In the U.K. I can understand it as the Staff have too be paid double time etc to work over certain holiday days.

Here in Thailand I doubt very much the Staff get enhanced rates for working over the holidays so why inflate the prices, simple greedy restaurant owners trying too cash in and I find the U.K. owners the worst offenders.

I am not in the catering industry but I am in the service industry. My staff are paid double time on Sundays and treble time on bank holidays. They also get paid time and a half after 17.00 during the week and yes, I am a Brit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not in the catering industry but I am in the service industry. My staff are paid double time on Sundays and treble time on bank holidays. They also get paid time and a half after 17.00 during the week and yes, I am a Brit.

I 'was' in the food catering industry insofar that I no longer charge as I don't have a non B or work permit. After 19 years I know a number of Western run establishments with the small one's being generally good to their staff and the large, rotten.  Lot of issues with staff because finding a job is easy and somewhere to stay while doing so is non problematic. Only way to retain good staff is to pay them well (always comes down to money) and treat them fairly. The Brits and in fact Europeans are generally considered good to work for.... perhaps because they are lazy rather than good hearted?

Anyway... I don't pay an hourly rate but rather for a specific task that takes less than 4 hour. I return they earn 1000 Baht, food (order a pizza if you like) and as many beers as is appropriate (after work). An calm energized kitchen is a good kitchen.

4 minutes ago, drvin said:

I own a business in Samui and although we are busy for high season the feel is not the same.  We are in chaweng and the streets and traffic definitely quieter than past Xmas weeks.  Definitely feels like less people around.  

Changing demographic. Resorts and villas are doing well because the people don't frequent small businesses because of children and such. Makro, Tesco, etc. are doing well as are 7-11 & FM

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Guess it's pretty full now.

My estimate is based on my government water pressure.

Only have government water night time now.

This actually is a good indicator from someone who lives on the island; it beats the 'news' released by the TAT any day.

Many thanks to @khunPer and @Tropicalevo for the posts on villa rentals; it does provide an explanation as to where some of the visitors are and what they do. It actually makes me a bit sad; I suspect that the reason that they are able to be rented so easily and often is due to the Web, but the old-style, family run, cheaper places that are actually on the beach are closing fast as they don't have the ability to lure customers over the Web. Hmm.. Can I ask; how many of your rentals are done on-line Vs. people just showing up?

Based on my impressions from Xmas eve, I went out yesterday afternoon to the market (I usually don't go during high-season). Yes, things have changed and the usual melange of Xmas visitors seem to have arrived, at least in Mae Nam. Traditionally, I park my motor bike between Xmas and the New Year due to visiting idiots who believe that they know how to ride, but I had my doubts for this season. Not anymore; consider me parked.

What kind of an idiot decides that they know how to ride a motorcycle, often drunk, in a foreign country, when they wouldn't do so at their home? It is a rhetorical question, no answer required. I'll be happy to see the back of them...

Many thanks to Samui residents/long stayers/Islanders who have posted. Any news from Lamai? The South? The East coast? Death Island?

Stay safe all!

• Like 2

Its dead !! I have lived here for 12 years and before bars etc would be packed every night with locals and tourists . Now empty just about most nights.

I went to Bophut on Christmas and went into one of the few bars in the village around 7pm and there were 5 people in it . About 11pm was bit busier with around 15-20 in but years before the place would be double that. Hardly anybody really walking down the street although I did note quite a lot of indian tourists .

Then went to chaweng and drove down the beach road and lucky if I seen 30 tourists . Most places looked empty , one bar I usually see packed had about 8 people in and solo bar had about 5 and this was around half 11 .

Villas might have normal rental but seems they are only for few days or week at most . Some of the prices I have seen for xmas dinners etc in your average beach place are laughable , cant wait to see what they want for new year !!

I don't know now about the budget locations on samui, but all 200+ high-end villas (30,000 - 150,000 thb per night) are full until after Chinese New Year. 

Mid range properties are also doing quite well. 

Some of the popular locations in the past such as Chaweng and Lamai may seem quiet, but that's due to other areas on Samui getting more traction and the demographics changing. Punters staying in budget hotels are being replaced by families staying in 5-star hotels and villas.

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Does the average tourist really care about government ideologies though? IMO it's more likely down to the economy in tourists' home countries.

Probably not the average tourist. But, I think many find it distasteful to support a military regime. I do have friends who inquire about the government here. It is a consideration. And Prayuth is known to be very nationalistic and he appears to dislike foreigners, based on many of his speeches. The economy and the power of the Thai baht, is likely a bigger reason, but the boat tragedy, the worldwide reputation of Thailand being very unsafe on both the roads and the water, the lack of effective law enforcement, english skills, quality services, etc, all are contributing factors, in the continuing degradation of the tourism industry.

• Like 1

I’m always totally mystified - I had a friend from the UK who was always obsessed by how the bars ( AKA knocking shops) were quiet etc. 

We have no control over tourist numbers - none. 

Why be concerned - to be honest the less tourists the better - the major tourist spots in the world  are being destroyed by the Chinese hordes .

Happy New Year 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Probably not the average tourist. But, I think many find it distasteful to support a military regime. I do have friends who inquire about the government here...

Seems like most tourists don't care politics at all. Spain had no problem with lack of tourism during the Franco-regime, and when Greece had a military coup tourists continued to come there. I think that most tourists in general merely considers their personal safety than political aspects; and of course the availability of transportation, accommodation etc., which might rather be why some countries with military regimes and/or dictators don't attract tourists.

Stats shows a rise in Thai tourism from nearly 10 million in 2000 till more than 30 million in 2017, with a 40 million prediction around the corner, i.e. for 2019 (source: Bloomberg). Two military coups, and lots of political unrest during that period, whilst tourism more than trippeled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Can I ask; how many of your rentals are done on-line Vs. people just showing up?

The 3-bed luxury house next to my house use an agent that has numerous houses – and a yacht – in his portfolio; presume people find him on the Internet.

My Danish friends that rented a luxury villa in Bo Phut hills found it on the Internet and booked in advance. I would presume that a group of 6-8 people with children, interested in a villa with a high comfort level and private pool, don't come and hope some locals on the beach has something for rent, they book in advance.

The two different beachfront villa-projects my Thai friends are working in has excellent homepages (here and here) with booking facilities.

There are numerous booking sites on the Internet, some also include villas, for example the Thaivisa site has lots of villas for rent on Samui, everything from affordable to somewhere quite high up in dream-level for most...????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Bangkok Air's stranglehold monopoly on air travel to and from Samui is killing Samui.

I thought the same thing, that was the primary reason I moved out of Samui, that was back in 1991, the place was paradise back then but Bangkok Air had the monopoly on travel, didn't take long to get sick of them as at the time I was working around SEA and had to travel in and out a lot, I ended up staying in Bangkok for the next eight years.

5 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Its dead !! I have lived here for 12 years and before bars etc would be packed every night with locals and tourists . Now empty just about most nights.

I went to Bophut on Christmas and went into one of the few bars in the village around 7pm and there were 5 people in it . About 11pm was bit busier with around 15-20 in but years before the place would be double that. Hardly anybody really walking down the street although I did note quite a lot of indian tourists .

Then went to chaweng and drove down the beach road and lucky if I seen 30 tourists . Most places looked empty , one bar I usually see packed had about 8 people in and solo bar had about 5 and this was around half 11 .

Villas might have normal rental but seems they are only for few days or week at most . Some of the prices I have seen for xmas dinners etc in your average beach place are laughable , cant wait to see what they want for new year !!

The guests are changing, and that might by why bars become empty – and some are either up for sale or already closed down and long gone, but I've seen "Bar for sale"-signs since I first came to the island 17-years ago – the families and couples coming in majority now don't hang out much in bars, but some might visit trendy cafés.

Chaweng has seen through my glasses been busy in the night-life venues so far during this year's peak-season – however, I cannot speak about Xmas night, as I stayed home with family – but less guests than when the high-season nightlife like peaked some years back around 2015. Also the few ordinary bars left in Soi Green Mango seemed busy, but if there were a few guests less than other years I cannot say. But keep in mind that lots of the young party folks flocks to the beach early at night, whilst nightlife in the landside, apart from some trendy cafés and "Henry...", only really begin after midnight, and peaks when the beach close at 2 am.

I've noticed that the before always full, affordable bungalows on the beach are almost empty now, whilst the little more expensive seemed fairly well booked, and the high end resorts looks like full house. It's my impression that tourists seeking higher level accommodation are not the same, as the frequent bar guests.

Agree in that some of the mandatory Xmas and New Year dinners seem out of proportion – do you think that could be a reason why some tourists might stay away..?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The 3-bed luxury house next to my house use an agent that has numerous houses – and a yacht – in his portfolio; presume people find him on the Internet.

My Danish friends that rented a luxury villa in Bo Phut hills found it on the Internet and booked in advance. I would presume that a group of 6-8 people with children, interested in a villa with a high comfort level and private pool, don't come and hope some locals on the beach has something for rent, they book in advance.

The two different beachfront villa-projects my Thai friends are working in has excellent homepages (here and here) with booking facilities.

There are numerous booking sites on the Internet, some also include villas, for example the Thaivisa site has lots of villas for rent on Samui, everything from affordable to somewhere quite high up in dream-level for most...????

Thanks KhunPer, informative as always. And yes, if I were transporting/traveling with a family and/or small kids, I'd book in advance as well.

That said, I actually had a different thought in my head, one which I didn't express well. If at first you don't succeed...

I wonder if the reason (or one of them) that the old, family-run, beach-front places are (very sadly) dying out is because they aren't available on-line or have an on-line presence, and thus people don't know that they are there. Let me explain a bit; I noticed here in Mae Nam that a 'hostel' had opened up (never been inside) and I couldn't help wondering why on earth travelers would stay in a place on the ring road rather than walk down and stay beach-side? Then it occurred to me that they probably didn't know that they could get a similar room/bed for a similar price AND be right on the beach! I actually asked one couple, and they simply had no idea that accommodation was available for the same price! It was more a commentary on how people rely too much on the Web (wonderful as it is!) rather than take the proverbial bull by the horns and go wander the beach until they found a nice, affordable place. And, a comment that in this modern day and age if something doesn't appear on-line, then it doesn't exist. Changing times...

Why, in my day, after I had woken up at 4AM, chopped the wood, cleaned the house, shoveled the snow, walked forty-two miles to school, then did a shift in the coal mine before starting out on my travels, I certainly walked the beaches looking for a place... :cheesy::cheesy: (Er... sorry)

I think more than the nationalities of Samui visitors has changed...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The guests are changing, and that might by why bars become empty – and some are either up for sale or already closed down and long gone, but I've seen "Bar for sale"-signs since I first came to the island 17-years ago – the families and couples coming in majority now don't hang out much in bars, but some might visit trendy cafés.

Chaweng has seen through my glasses been busy in the night-life venues so far during this year's peak-season – however, I cannot speak about Xmas night, as I stayed home with family – but less guests than when the high-season nightlife like peaked some years back around 2015. Also the few ordinary bars left in Soi Green Mango seemed busy, but if there were a few guests less than other years I cannot say. But keep in mind that lots of the young party folks flocks to the beach early at night, whilst nightlife in the landside, apart from some trendy cafés and "Henry...", only really begin after midnight, and peaks when the beach close at 2 am.

I've noticed that the before always full, affordable bungalows on the beach are almost empty now, whilst the little more expensive seemed fairly well booked, and the high end resorts looks like full house. It's my impression that tourists seeking higher level accommodation are not the same, as the frequent bar guests.

Agree in that some of the mandatory Xmas and New Year dinners seem out of proportion – do you think that could be a reason why some tourists might stay away..?

Think they are staying away as better places to go. Certainly cheaper places than samui for sure.

The cost of things here is a joke when you see some things be it food, drink ,shopping ,services ,rentals etc . Beaches are nothing great here and the construction everywhere and traffic has made it less paradise . They don't seem bothered in trying to change it either as it just seems take take take and hope the money keeps coming from somewhere. I know quite a few people who have bailed out already and ones selling up to try and leave but the island is flooded with property for sale so they are either losing on selling or waiting it out till someone appears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Bangkok Air's stranglehold monopoly on air travel to and from Samui is killing Samui. They charge so much more per flight kilometer than any other flight in Asia if it involves Samui. They've also got so few direct flights to Samui from anywhere but Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore. It's a pain in the ass and expensive to get to Samui. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is no Chinese. Last year they were swarming the island and the year before that even more. This week Nikki Beach Samui has 57% occupancy through New Year's. The difference is NO CHINESE this year. Last year they were full of Chinese. Another stellar job by the government. I haven't seen it this quiet at Christmastime since I started coming here in 1983.

We usually come to Samui every year, we were going to come again as we love it (family of 4) but it’s Bangkok Airlines, it’s way out priced us now. It’s so much for a return trip now, family of 4 is around $800 for us each way, why would anyone pay that when it’s far cheaper to go to other destinations. For my view, Bangkok airlines are killing off the tourists coming to Samui. No one wants to catch long buses etc so if they can’t fly for a reasonable price, tourist don’t come, simple as that. It’s a big shame as Samui is such a great destination and unfortunately it’s become a destination out of anyone’s reach. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllanA said:

We usually come to Samui every year, we were going to come again as we love it (family of 4) but it’s Bangkok Airlines, it’s way out priced us now. It’s so much for a return trip now, family of 4 is around $800 for us each way, why would anyone pay that when it’s far cheaper to go to other destinations. For my view, Bangkok airlines are killing off the tourists coming to Samui. No one wants to catch long buses etc so if they can’t fly for a reasonable price, tourist don’t come, simple as that. It’s a big shame as Samui is such a great destination and unfortunately it’s become a destination out of anyone’s reach. 

If you like it that much why not go via Surat Thani? I'm sure even with a private transfer from airport to the boat, it would work out a lot cheaper than going direct. 

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I wonder if the reason (or one of them) that the old, family-run, beach-front places are (very sadly) dying out is because they aren't available on-line or have an on-line presence, and thus people don't know that they are there.

I think it's more than just being online – as you also say "or one of them" – based on my own observations.

About 100 meter down the beach from me are two of that family-run bungalow resorts – I think they are cousins – a small with only 4 bungalows in each of two rows, plus a restaurant; and a larger one with 15 bungalows in each row, and a couple of additional buildings in the back with rooms, plus a restaurant. The small one is to my knowledge offline, whilst the larger one is online in major booking-portals, and has been available for Internet bookings at least since 2004 (I used it myself).

Especially the small one use to be completely full in high season periods, looking like mainly returning guests. I have a Danish friend using the small one, and he insist when coming to Samui that it shall be one of two potential beachfront bungalows there – cannot be anything else for him – and when he is thinking of coming, I'm asked to go and book about half a year in advance, and place a deposit. If it's full, he won't come, he simply change his holiday plans. The larger one seemed to be very busy for most the years I know of up to a few years ago – I used it myself a couple of times in 2004, and know the owner well – and I have also before often recommended it to others. Both are same price and relative affordable, relative compared to Samui price levels.

Now this peak season it seem like only one bungalow is rented out at the small resort, and three or so in first row of the larger resort, which is something like 25% occupation for both (1 of 4 in first row = 25%, 3 of 15 in first row = 20%). However the more expensive bungalows on the beach have a higher occupation rate, and the high-end luxury seemed full.

If online booking were the reason, the one of those two resorts should have a lot of bookings, especially if guests are booking after price – i.e. low price – It's the same sandy beach, and the same water, and the same outstanding view to Koh Phangan as the next door 5-star resort with bungalows priced a 15 to 20 times higher daily rate, and about half price of the next affordable bungalow resort a few hundred meter further down the beach. Shouldn't families, or pairs, that want to book in advance from an online portal find this bargain..?

Or could it be that not so many folks today do like the backpackers used to do: just arrive, and walk down the beach looking for a nice place to stay..?

And that – walking down the beach – actually appear online, because you can use Google Map and Street View to walk down many of Samui's beaches, and easily see names, and map, and eventually Internet links, and even user-ratings for resorts of interest.

Or could it be that the expectations – or rather demands – from today's tourists has changed, so a small affordable family-run bungalow resort don't has the same appeal as before..?

I noticed that my own friends value a perfect holiday higher than price; i.e. they don't mind the price as much as the quality of the accommodation, which is both room standard and service level; they rather pay double or triple to be sure. Even my old backpacker friends – who are the real reason I ended up at Samui – that used to stay in 300-350 baht a night fan-only huts with cold water – and dine freight rice chicken for 30 baht including free drinking water, so they had more money for Mekong-Coke in a bar at night – now they want both aircon and a decent standard bungalow, including a hot shower, and they don't mind paying for it; however for years still doing a train-ride down, at least for the good-old-days experience, whilst Bangkok Air back for comfort, but now also gladly book return tickets by air.

When living beachfront one notice the life of the beach, where we occasionally still see a heavy loaded tired looking backpacker couple slowly strolling down the beach in search for a place to stay, whilst some years back it was a normal observation to see backpackers in lots – and they looked happy – especially when the "Thong Nai Pan Express" ferry from Koh Phangan arrived; now all passengers vanish up the pier road. It's several years ago I realized that young folks today are expecting more than a fan hut, and they are planning carefully where to stay, which might be one of the reasons that places like Ark Bar Beach Resort expanded so fast. Most of the fan-only huts and rooms on the beach here has disappeared, simply because they ran out of customers, and they have been upgraded to half or less number of rooms in a higher standard.

I think it's merely the clients that has changed demands and expectations, than a question of a family-run bungalow resort being online, especially if the family-run resort haven't changed from what it was two decades ago. There might not be enough returning guests that don't wish changes.

I agree in "more than the nationalities of Samui visitors has changed..."

????

• Like 2

Quite interesting, I have been away most of the last 2 weeks and not spent much time in restaurants, bars or near resorts. My observation would have been quite the opposite, traffic Maenam to Tesco has been just horrific all week (even without the rain and currently not much construction on the road). Difficult to judge who is in the cars but from seeing all the "green" scooter riders it looked a lot busier to me than the last 2 years. Same with the airport, it has been busy and most flights I was on were completely booked.

Obviously people running businesses are in a better position to judge, just thought it was interesting and wonder how the island's infrastructure coped in the past when it was busier? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If you like it that much why not go via Surat Thani? I'm sure even with a private transfer from airport to the boat, it would work out a lot cheaper than going direct. 

I think the problem for most oversees tourists is the 12ish hour flight to Bangkok, layover until flight to Surat Thani and then another bus/ferry. Many friends looking at this option and then considered the extra "pain" for their short (1-2 week) holiday not being worth it. Most ended up going elsewhere.

• Like 2