Red Wine bargain in Phuket

xylophone

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Chalong circle said:

Some drinkable Pinot noir from Ventisquero at 500 bahts in Villa Market. Merlot from the same winery Ok for around 430 bahts.

Thanks, going down to VM today so will look out for it.

10 minutes ago, schlog said:

A very nice wine from Portugal for 699 baht @Tops in new Central in town.

Screenshot_20200315-102006_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Schlog, 

I will look out for that, and I see it is from the Touriga Nacional grape, a major contributor in the grapes used for port in Portugal, and have always wanted to try wine made solely from this grape, as I do like the more full-bodied and aromatic style these days.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, eezergood said:

I have Stilton at the ready! 

As you mentioned Stilton , up here in the styx and smog yesterday I saw 250g of Mainland 36 month old mature cheddar on the shelf reduced from 209 to 146 B.  as only one block I got it priced and it was 62 B , now that is a bargain .

Will try to find my way there later as see if we have any wine bargains.

14 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

As you mentioned Stilton , up here in the styx and smog yesterday I saw 250g of Mainland 36 month old mature cheddar on the shelf reduced from 209 to 146 B.  as only one block I got it priced and it was 62 B , now that is a bargain .

Will try to find my way there later as see if we have any wine bargains.

Lucky man, and just yesterday I went looking for the very same cheese in my local Makro as it has had the 250 g vintage at around 240 baht a block, but sold out yesterday!

And as for getting it at 62 baht a block........... very lucky man.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:11 PM, Chalong circle said:

Some drinkable Pinot noir from Ventisquero at 500 bahts in Villa Market. Merlot from the same winery Ok for around 430 bahts.

Thanks for the tip on that "Chalong circle", and I went down to Villa Market to have a look around the wine section and came up with a couple of good options.

Firstly I did buy the Pinot Noir from Chile and although I have been spoilt considerably by the better French Burgundies, which make all other Pinot Noir wines fade into obscurity, even the much vaunted New Zealand Pinot Noirs which I have found to be very much like weak lolly water!

As for this one, well it didn't have the fragrant aromas of a good Burgundy, but it did have some earthy tones and a bit of backbone so I could get to like it.

I also bought a wine from Victoria, Australia, "Salisbury" which was on offer at about 460 baht and it was the Cabernet Sauvignon with a dark red label and 1848 written on it, and it was very good, some dark fruit on the nose and good tannins, a little soft which was great for this wine........very much enjoyed and will buy again.

Also bought the Ventisquero Cabernet Sauvignon to give it a try, although I have often found the wine from this grape from Chile to be a little bit "green" or herbaceous as it is often called – – will find out when I try it shortly.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

I also bought a wine from Victoria, Australia, "Salisbury" which was on offer at about 460 baht and it was the Cabernet Sauvignon with a dark red label and 1848 written on it, and it was very good, some dark fruit on the nose and good tannins, a little soft which was great for this wine........very much enjoyed and will buy again.

I've had a couple of bottles of the Shiraz, same brand. Not bad at all and decent value for Thailand.

I'll try the Cab Sauv next. Should be in Villa over the weekend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

On the subject of Merlot, and not this particular "brand", I came across what appeared to be a bargain, only to find out that it was priced low for a reason.

The wine I am talking about is the one pictured below and is a Merlot from the Bordeaux region, although bottled by a cooperative which is sometimes open to speculation, and in my opinion it was bordering on very poor!

I didn't pay attention to the vintage year although I should have done, and when I got it home and realised it was a 2014, and cooperative bottled, I feared for the worst, and my fears were confirmed when I opened it.......it was too old, as cooperative bottled wines like this are meant to be drunk young, not six years after bottling and after having travelled halfway round the world, and it wasn't really fit for drinking, so I gave it some time and tried a couple of half glasses, before finally tipping it down the sink.

Serves me right, because what can you expect for 300 baht these days! So my advice is to stay away from this, or be terribly disappointed, or even sick if you drink it by the bottle!

PS. I may be being a little "harsh" with my verdict, although I will stick by it due to my experience with wines over the years.

image.png.2a0c31fa1a6831ebe5a9abaf0c9b715f.png

I shall trust your judgement, Xylo!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was yesterday after many years again at Phuket Grocery in Town. Got wet eyes after check out wine there. Stocked up this zolla i muri primitivo some days ago in makro for 749 baht/bottle. Phuket Grocery is much more cheap. Xylo maybe worth a trip for you to.

1589072049399.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, schlog said:

Was yesterday after many years again at Phuket Grocery in Town. Got wet eyes after check out wine there. Stocked up this zolla i muri primitivo some days ago in makro for 749 baht/bottle. Phuket Grocery is much more cheap. Xylo maybe worth a trip for you to.

1589072049399.jpg

Thanks Schlog, I will have to get down there quickly, probably tomorrow now, as I do like that wine, however there may be a catch.......if you look at the label, next to the price, it says "Negroamaro Puglia", and the Negroamaro grape/wine does not fetch the premium price that Primitivo does, so it seems as though they may have mispriced it!!!!

Will definitely stock up on a few bottles in that case!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks Schlog, I will have to get down there quickly, probably tomorrow now, as I do like that wine, however there may be a catch.......if you look at the label, next to the price, it says "Negroamaro Puglia", and the Negroamaro grape/wine does not fetch the premium price that Primitivo does, so it seems as though they may have mispriced it!!!!

Will definitely stock up on a few bottles in that case!

Yup i also saw that but didn't had a second thought. I guess for both same 585 baht price like always in makro or tops both i muri priced same with 749 baht.

Good hunting tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schlog said:

Yup i also saw that but didn't had a second thought. I guess for both same 585 baht price like always in makro or tops both i muri priced same with 749 baht.

Good hunting tomorrow.

I have actually just been there thanks Schlog, as I had to go and see my Daughter in Phuket to arrange her University move etc.......and when I asked her, she knew where the store was, so we went along and I grabbed 6 bottles!

Thanks again for the tip and I will enjoy a few glasses tonight.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Being stranded has a few benefits one being an infinite choice of 200-300bt vintages with tonight's offering M+S own brand californian red at a fiver its a stunner????  

..... but hardly relevant to a thread about red wine in PHUKET.