Groups want liquor sellers to be held accountable for alcohol-related road accidents

webfact

How riddiculous. Only selling alcohol to sober people.

So now all we'll see is priests and vicars queuing up for house wine for the holy communion.

I get the ban on selling alcohol in service stations on a busy highway. But this new anxious cry for help from the PC brigade is too much for my liking.

Giving a shop keeper power is only going to be abused and he will refuse those he doesn't like whilst selling to those who lord over him.

Also he could ask for a bribe adding another recipient to the already increasing list of corrupt officials in Los.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, transam said:

Has your country done what you think should be done....?

Great strides have been made in this area.  No more 3 DUI before your in trouble here in USA.  Figure Biut 10,000$ USD for first offense. Suspension fir first time is common as well as monthly random testing you have to pay for for a year.  Vehicle lock out blow devices.   It's time we acknowledge this problem and stop it.    Utah where I live just turned on new law with DUI Limit of .05.  Stiffest in the nation.   Yes I have to alter your lifestyle.   They say a small woman can have .05 BAC after 1 glass of wine.   Deal with the future you alcoholic thugs. 

I do not understand why Thai government drops there´s responsibility?

It can never bee the shop owner´s responsibility to play police.

It´s the same if one person get cancer and go die from it. Then you blame the store´s for they had selling the cigarette to him/her. Total nonsense.

The Thai government has the responsibility, they have to enforce the law.

Fx. all car drivers there drive with alcohol in blod loose there driving license + jail time and fine. No mater what he/her work are. The fine have to be more then 500 baht. I think 10,000,00 baht to 20,000,00 baht will function. Maybe there have to be more police work day and night. Fx. police cars as we see in Europe. When people know police are at work 24/7 they just think little bit more if they think.    

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

Seems like a bunch of drunks posting here.   This is a pretty common sense law and piece of the solution to the drunk driving problem.    Current stats for first few days of these deadly 7 said 40% of accidents are drunk driving related.    So it's about time this law is enforced.  Breath meters can be had for 3000 bahts.   Yes it's a nanny state type of thing but it's about time Thailand do something.   

I'm no longer a drunk, and firmly believe this proposed law is, for Thailand, non sensical, not practical nor a solution to the problem.

Do you really believe the courts should be overwhelmed by prosecutions of 7-11 cashers who sold a beer to a customer who may or may not have been drunk at the time?

The solution lies with recognizing that the drunk drivers are the criminals, and that the police and courts should be doing their jobs properly by arresting and appropriately punishing these potential murderers.

This sort of deterrent is the only thing that would lessen the carnage. 

What do i do with my life ? Ah, make a lot of money. Where?

Of course, i´ll become a politician, thats not even a question, pff.

My father pays the right people, and i am one. Without learning anything. Dang.

But i don´t know, what exactly is it i´m doing here? Well, since i´m here anyway, i could as well get famous, right?

I mean, now i have to show, that i´m doing something, anything.

Lets propose a ridiculous new law, or dig out a dusted, outdated one.

Yeih, now my life has a meaning . . .

????

1 hour ago, starfish said:

What do i do with my life ? Ah, make a lot of money. Where?

Of course, i´ll become a politician, thats not even a question, pff.

My father pays the right people, and i am one. Without learning anything. Dang.

But i don´t know, what exactly is it i´m doing here? Well, since i´m here anyway, i could as well get famous, right?

I mean, now i have to show, that i´m doing something, anything.

Lets propose a ridiculous new law, or dig out a dusted, outdated one.

Yeih, now my life has a meaning . . .

????

Continuation :

Now everybody is waiing me for what a great politician i am. I made it. But now what ?

Ha, i´ll become an <deleted> , "bodyopening", and constantly make life harder for everyone around me. That lifts my self-assurance.

"dream-career"

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This sort of deterrent is the only thing that would lessen the carnage. 

Well it took a long time in the civilized USA to reduce the road carnage from DUI. Its a combo of strict enforcement of laws, draconian penalties, imposition of corporate liability for the actions of liquor servers/sellers. In the States, in many areas, you cant even serve booze unless you get training in how not to make drunks drunker. If someone sells to an intoxicated person, they can also lose their license to sell. 

Its not just one thing.

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well it took a long time in the civilized USA to reduce the road carnage from DUI. Its a combo of strict enforcement of laws, draconian penalties, imposition of corporate liability for the actions of liquor servers/sellers. In the States, in many areas, you cant even serve booze unless you get training in how not to make drunks drunker. If someone sells to an intoxicated person, they can also lose their license to sell. 

Its not just one thing.

Yep, if it helps, it helps.

I would make heroin-dealers liable too.

Education is the only one thing, we have.

15 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Utter <deleted>, the people selling alcohol should never be held accountable, it's the person driving the vehicle and that person alone, that should be held accountable. 

Maybe the Thai collectively can blame themselves for this ? For years drunk driving did not mean anything, and if caught a 200 baht "under the table" contribution took care of the problem. That was evidentely the wrong message, and now all of a sudden, instead of tighten the screws on the drivers, they want to include people that sell alcohol, even if that person has no way of knowing how or IF that person actually drives a car in the first place. Ludicrous. 

This little tidbit quite clearly indicates what sort of people we are dealing with. I often wonder if people suggesting this actually are capable of using their brain. Such a measure will do absolutely NOTHING. Most people buy booze and get drunk AFTER they consumed the purchased goods, not before. And the very few that were already drunk, either send their wife, or make sure they stock up sufficiently when sober. 

Good post, first let the police do a lot better job with far more checks and high fines then if that does not work and we are sure the police is really doing their work and it is still not working we can look at other solutions. 

First the police then other options, this is just shifting blame from a failing police force to others for the sake of making it easier for the police.

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

Great strides have been made in this area.  No more 3 DUI before your in trouble here in USA.  Figure Biut 10,000$ USD for first offense. Suspension fir first time is common as well as monthly random testing you have to pay for for a year.  Vehicle lock out blow devices.   It's time we acknowledge this problem and stop it.    Utah where I live just turned on new law with DUI Limit of .05.  Stiffest in the nation.   Yes I have to alter your lifestyle.   They say a small woman can have .05 BAC after 1 glass of wine.   Deal with the future you alcoholic thugs. 

You need to inderstand that the future may not be what you think it's going to be. Be carful what you wish for. When everybody has a car that drives itself it will be cars fault or the  manufacturer, if someone gets killed, you'll just be a drunk passenger. But everybody having a car that drives itself is ridiculous. The Elite have to kill off 99% of the worlds population before they can have the future they want

On 12/31/2018 at 7:19 AM, kannot said:

Groups  should hold  themselves  accountable instead.

Only one  person is responsible, how  hard  can it  be ? "the  consumer"

"Personal responsibility" is not understood in the Kingdom! And that applies in many different ways in Thai lifestyle. Leadership starts at the top but...........   ???? 

Then "Groups" should also hold motorvehicle and motorcycle manufacturers accountable for road related crashes!!?? Ad infinitum.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:43 AM, smedly said:

totally agree and also the police for not doing their jobs to make a reasonable effort (365 days a year) in detecting those that insist on driving while drunk, ultimately it is the chance of being caught and the severe penalties they will receive that are the best deterrent

Good if you live in BKK but any place more rural no taxi

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I wish to hold acountable whoever planted Trees. They caused me to climb , fall out, land on my head and remain as dumb as a Group member.????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Happened a few years ago in England , boy climbed a tree looking for conkers , he fell out the tree landed on his head and next thing all the trees in the avenue were cut down  lest it should happene again.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Happened a few years ago in England , boy climbed a tree looking for conkers , he fell out the tree landed on his head and next thing all the trees in the avenue were cut down  lest it should happene again.

I demand climbing a tree and killing myself in the process to be legal.

I mean, where to have we become ?

????

Lately, i bought a rope. The seller should be held responsible, if i hang myself with it.

Builders of balconies as well.

49 minutes ago, starfish said:

I demand climbing a tree and killing myself in the process to be legal.

I mean, where to have we become ?

????

Lately, i bought a rope. The seller should be held responsible, if i hang myself with it.

Builders of balconies as well ?

oh, and i buy cigarettes, should philip morris be held responsible that i get cancer ?

47 minutes ago, starfish said:

Builders of balconies as well.

A court just threw out a suit against the PANYNJ over a series of jumpers off the George Washington Bridge, holding correctly that the Authority was under no duty to take measures to make their premises "suicide proof".

If, on the other hand, you walk into Macks Hardware and Ice Cream Shop sobbing brokenly and say, Sell me some rope, Im going to off myself and they do so, they could be held liable.

Thats why when you decide to do it, tell them what you need the rope for and record it with your phone so your old lady can sue and finally get something out of you.

43 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

A court just threw out a suit against the PANYNJ over a series of jumpers off the George Washington Bridge, holding correctly that the Authority was under no duty to take measures to make their premises "suicide proof".

If, on the other hand, you walk into Macks Hardware and Ice Cream Shop sobbing brokenly and say, Sell me some rope, Im going to off myself and they do so, they could be held liable.

Thats why when you decide to do it, tell them what you need the rope for and record it with your phone so your old lady can sue and finally get something out of you.

Aand what for, do you guys, exactly, have guns for ?

????

3 hours ago, starfish said:

Aand what for, do you guys, exactly, have guns for ?

????

I dont understand.

2 hours ago, starfish said:

No, it´s about me, and me only. I made the wrong joice. Only me ! There´s really not more to it . . .

No one says you have to sue. But you can. 

Archived