Groups want liquor sellers to be held accountable for alcohol-related road accidents

webfact

Don’t they realize it is not illegal to sell alcohol, but it is illegal to drink and drive over the limit permitted, and you can’t expect shopkeepers to police their customers? Why don’t the police have more road checks and breathalyzers over the holiday period? They are trying to pass the buck.               

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

I agree totally that liquor sellers are to blame, and anyone being shot then the gun manufacturers should be brought to justice, and rope makers in suicide cases, and builders who make stairs in apartments and lift makers bla bla bla bla  

Architects who design balconies...

Mind you I have just googled the "Stop Alcohol Group" (b*gg*r all else to do) and the resulting photo of this miserable bunch suggests that perhaps they should be arraigned for driving people to drink!

29ed4c1d6d474edde7e815f25dcd813d.jpeg

Or they going to blame the 6 year old who walks to the Mom and Pop shop 100 metres away and buys Grandpa a bottle of rotgut and then he gets a phone call when in a nana nap to pick up his daughter or son who is too lazy to walk 400 metres from the bus stop,

WHAT ever happend to PERSONABLE responsibility. It seems NO ONE wants to take responsibility  for their actions in todays world. Maybe we need to, stop ALL sugar production to get rid of sugar diabetes, stop ALL cigarette sales get rid of lung cancer,  Stop ALL alcohol sales to get rid of alcoholism, and the list goes ON and ON. How about we START making people responsible for their actions?

29 minutes ago, JAG said:

Mind you I have just googled the "Stop Alcohol Group" (b*gg*r all else to do) and the resulting photo of this miserable bunch suggests that perhaps they should be arraigned for driving people to drink!

29ed4c1d6d474edde7e815f25dcd813d.jpeg

Some of them look like they're having a serious hangover. Maybe they're into masochism.

Don't blame the Liquor Sellers. It's hopeless, as long there is no efficient driving school, examination, checks by the police, high penalties and confiscation of the vehicle in case of violation of the traffic law. As long as kids ride motorcycles and cars on public roads to the pride of their parents and the police looks away.

1 minute ago, ujayujay said:

Don't blame the Liquor Sellers. It's hopeless, as long there is no efficient driving school, examination, checks by the police, high penalties and confiscation of the vehicle in case of violation of the traffic law. As long as kids ride motorcycles and cars on public roads to the pride of their parents and the police looks away.

Plus it is treat the masses as children...Blame others....Crazy stuff....????

7 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Typical - blame anyone or anything except yourself - don't accept responsibility for your actions.  Have the bar owners and liquor vendors do the policing!  A breathalyzer in every 7-Eleven!!

Why don't we get car dealers and manufacturers to pick up the tabs. After all they seem to sell cars to people blissfully incapable of controlling vehicles whilst sober let alone drunk. 

I noticed a distinct lack of big trucks today. Are they banned? 

5 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

lol...the shop owners who sell the alcohol to the thais that have driven to their store drunk in order to get too drunk to drive safely can then sue the previous bar, shop owner or refrigerator that supplied the beer to the irate drunk Thai driver that shoots the shop owner for refusing to sell him more beer.....I really like that they have drunk driving...that's ok...but only driving too drunk to drive safely is not ok...where exactly is that line ?

at 0.5 0/00

The UK has similar laws. Pub landlords, bar managers or whatever are prohibited from selling alcohol from someone already drunk or who they consider to have already consumed too much. 

How can they police this? An undercover officer in every outlet? Now it's got to be every Supermarket too. 

The reality is they can only rely on the judgement of the person actually selling it to the buyer. And where money is king......................................................

But maybe one or two prosecutions would serve as a reminder of seller's responsibilities.

Having said that, drink driving is a different offense. You don't have to be steaming drunk to be over the legal limit and/or impaired. That decision and responsibility lies totally with the individual and those convicted should be severely punished. The police would be better spending their time focusing on dui.

“These days, a breathalyser is very affordable. All shops should use the device to help their customers return home safely and avoid breaking the law,” he said.

funny enough, 

in my 16 years in Thailand, only met once any police check up that used breathalyzer...and never, ever, one at any (completely useless) "checkpoints" at long holidays like songkran or new year!!

52 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Why don't we get car dealers and manufacturers to pick up the tabs. After all they seem to sell cars to people blissfully incapable of controlling vehicles whilst sober let alone drunk. 

I noticed a distinct lack of big trucks today. Are they banned? 

Similar to the idea in the US to hold gun manufacturers liable for the people who used their guns to kill or wound others!

This whole idea of holding businesses liable for the actions of their consumers is nuts!

Time people accepted responsibility for their own actions and were held accountable. But it's so easy to blame someone else and the dopey politicians see this as a way to gain favor with some of the electorate.

3 minutes ago, tingtong said:

“These days, a breathalyser is very affordable. All shops should use the device to help their customers return home safely and avoid breaking the law,” he said.

funny enough, 

in my 16 years in Thailand, only met once any police check up that used breathalyzer...and never, ever, one at any (completely useless) "checkpoints" at long holidays like songkran or new year!!

Perhaps it was obvious you were sober. I've been stopped a couple of times. Polite conversation and smiles, family in car. To a trained officer it's pretty obvious if you've had a few.

Based on a 100 year old law.

At that time it was expected that everyone would blindly follow the rules/laws no matter how trivial or stupid.

Nowadays things are completely diff------

Hold on I think I see a flaw in my post, Let me think for a bit and I'll get back to you.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I'd never heard of Dram Shop Laws, until I just googled it. It's a weirdly named American law. 

I was aware that in Australia, in my former State, under the liquor licensing laws, "it is an offence to serve alcohol to drunk people". Some staff from retail outlets have been prosecuted for this offense. 

Obviously such laws couldn't work in Thailand where liquor can be bought in any corner store and it would be impossible to control sales in the same way.

Vive la difference. Thailand should look at the real problem and stop trying to muddy the waters.

Dram shop laws cover all purveyors of booze. 

A lawyers wet dream in the USA: Your client was a Nobel Prize winning brain surgeon and author, 38 years old, wife and 4 kids, income of 3 million a year, rendered quadraplegic by a dude with a BAC of .35 and a half drunk half rack of Coors in his car with the 7-11 receipt showing he bought the beers 1 hour earlier......

Civil Society demands ? How can a shop tell if a person is legally over the limit? Can we prosecute car manufacturers and oil companies for pollution which can cause cancer and respiratory problems, medicine manufacturers for side effects and potential eventual death, pharmacists for dispensing medicine which can cause drowsiness and thus a danger to road users,  farmers for raising cows which contribute significantly to global warming, people who eat meat often causing stomach cancer and becoming a burden on the health system etc etc...Its the government's and the BIBs fault for not seriously educating the masses and instead trying to shift the blame to cornershops. 

Archived