Today – Sterling £ to Bahts rates, must be lowest ever

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The Aussie dollar is also taking a hit, around 23 to the baht. It was more than 33 when I first came 9 years ago.

Yes last time it was as low as this was roughly 10 years ago.....Start of 2011 to mid 2013 was the best time....all of that time we were above 30.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, AlexRich said:

Funny because the Brexit-loving posters on here were telling us all that the UK economy would rocket once it exited the EU? 

Now they are blaming the EU and Remainers for this economic fiasco ... true to form, it’s always someone else’s fault.

Unicorn anyone?

Hopefully, the Brexiteers in Thailand will all go home and we won't have to listen to their silly arguments.

• Thanks 1

If the Brexit deal is accepted. The GBP could go down to about 35 to the bt. but eventually recover a little bit . But no deal would result in it going down to about 29 with no recovery. But to make matters worse for those on a UK pension, the Thai economy could improve and the Thai baht will become stronger than ever. 

• Sad 1

The majority of Brits chose Brexit the deal May is trying to get them is not what they want  or will get

Can see the pound sterling falling lower and we have not left yet 

can foresee a disaster of a Brexit coming up where no one is going to be happy with the deal

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Just what I was thinking but waiting to hear all before a reply. My pension has gone down from 28,736 in 2015 to 22,011 3 weeks ago.  So now I still manage easily but don't have holidays in CNX or visit the inlaws more then once a year . As for upping sticks back to the UK , sell my house here for 2.5 million Baht and buy what in England ? Or how much left of my pension if I rent hmmm ?

Don't the state pensioners in the UK get housing benefit any more, and also pension credits if their savings are below a certain amount. I know there is this new universal thing, and maybe that affects it.

22 minutes ago, shackleton said:

The majority of Brits chose Brexit the deal May is trying to get them is not what they want  or will get

Can see the pound sterling falling lower and we have not left yet 

can foresee a disaster of a Brexit coming up where no one is going to be happy with the deal

Teresa the appeaser is a Remainer at heart, her deal is the softest of Brexits.

Any second referendum would see the result rigged in Remain's favour, for example by offering 2 options that favour Leave, and 1 for Remain, so spliitting the Leave vote & handing victory to Remain.

One of the reasons so many Tories are pro hard Brexit (that many probably aren't aware of) is that the EU has just brought in new regulations to do with money laundering and tax avoidance (Remember the Panama Papers/David Cameron?!).

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, from the home of CC said:

autonomy has a price.. 

If there is a no deal Brexit, which seems to be the case (hopefully not) then the Pound is bound to drop, probably even lower than the EURO. Well I suggest all of us affected by Brexit, should send our thanks to Mr. Johnson and co.

39 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

If there is a no deal Brexit, which seems to be the case (hopefully not) then the Pound is bound to drop, probably even lower than the EURO. Well I suggest all of us affected by Brexit, should send our thanks to Mr. Johnson and co.

Or thanks to the morons on FB, etc. who generated the hype: without 'social media' nobody would have dreamed of such a ridiculous situation.

Simple solution - cancel with no repercussions - spend next year or two planning a realistic option, without the stupid moniker and fanfare. Children...

Edited by ParadiseLost

On 1/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bang Bang said:

What I understand in case of a hard Brexit is that a lot of Thai retirees are planning to move to the UK because it'll be so cheap to live there.

You are wrong. They'll move because the Pond will drop to such a level that it will be too expensive for us to live anywhere other than the UK (which will probably consist only of England, without Scotland and Northern Ireland). With the British economy probably shrinking, exports drooping and essential important goods increasing, life in the UK won't be easy either. Well Mr. Johnson predicted that the economy will grow, NHS will get better and other benefits resulting from a Brexit. Let´s see if he can keep his promises/predictions. As far as Mrs. May is concerned, she says that she is carrying out the will of the people. If so, why not have a second referendum, with all the facts on the table and let us see the result then.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 10:20 PM, MikeN said:

Yes, the Aussie dollar dropped around half a baht overnight, from 22.44 to 21.9, but has come back over 22 this afternoon.

It is fears of global trade wars and its possible effects that are causing the current volatility.

Trump now has to sort out things with China as things haven't exactly gone to plan for him, i.e. the Chinese are not stupid and will not get pushed around and have played the game brilliantly IMO.

Come early February when the deal is done, we should see the stock markets rally and the Aussie dollar with a few other currencies take flight, so hold on for the ride.

That is coming straight from my crystal ball, not sure if its the left or right one ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

Thailand economy is building roads, airport expansion, housing, malls, trains, ports,  and the EEC. Despite the critics about Thailand when you drive around all of Thailand is growing and the country is doing well financially. 

What is Britain doing? Why on earth would anyone other than citizens of Britain want to own English Pounds. Why on earth do people on this forum not trust Thai banks like Bangkok Bank. It must be prejudice as it is not based on financial facts. 

Sure some rice farmers are not doing well but that is true of every poor areas of every country. 

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Trump now has to sort out things with China as things haven't exactly gone to plan for him, i.e. the Chinese are not stupid and will not get pushed around and have played the game brilliantly IMO.

Come early February when the deal is done, we should see the stock markets rally and the Aussie dollar with a few other currencies take flight, so hold on for the ride.

That is coming straight from my crystal ball, not sure if its the left or right one ????

Trump knows exactly what he's doing, and he still has a good hand to play.  The game isn't over until someone folds.

In any negotiation, one has to determine where the balance of power lies.  In this case, given that China is so heavily dependent on America for its exports, then the USA clearly has the upper hand.

Watch the civil unrest in China if America starts to import less because of higher import duties, and factories have to lay off workers.  It will not be a pretty sight.

Lucky you that one of them is crystal (keep it wrapped in cotton wool)! ????

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Yes, the Russians sure helped everyone to see the best way forward...

I guess this is tongue in cheek, or do you still believe in the tooth fairy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allanos said:

Trump knows exactly what he's doing, and he still has a good hand to play.  The game isn't over until someone folds.

In any negotiation, one has to determine where the balance of power lies.  In this case, given that China is so heavily dependent on America for its exports, then the USA clearly has the upper hand.

Watch the civil unrest in China if America starts to import less because of higher import duties, and factories have to lay off workers.  It will not be a pretty sight.

Lucky you that one of them is crystal (keep it wrapped in cotton wool)! ????

Have you heard of the "One China" policy ?

The American political system is relatively mature with checks and balances, but with a president who often acts uniquely based on his own beliefs regarding complex issues, almost anything is possible, but ask yourself this, is he aware that China’s foreign currency reserves stand at more than $3 trillion.

In contrast, the U.S. has foreign exchange reserves that hover at around $120 billion. Trump’s tariffs would automatically trigger penalties against the U.S. in the World Trade Organization (WTO), and might even lead to the WTO’s collapse, which would lead to higher tariffs against U.S. exports. While it might take a while for that to happen, the turmoil would be catastrophic for American business and employment as its already starting to show, just look at Apple, was it 7 billion whipped just the other day ?

China, on the other hand, would emerge relatively unscathed as China has most of what it needs now, and what it doesn’t have it can easily obtain from vendors outside the U.S. While the American market looked enticing a few decades ago, it is relatively mature, and today the newer emerging market countries have become much more interesting to Beijing.