Saudi woman, 18, barricades self in Thai hotel to avoid being sent home

webfact

Rahaf Mohommed communicated on another site:

"Hey I'm Rahaf. My father just arrived as I heard witch worried and scared me a lot  and I want to go to another country that I seek asylum in
But at least I feel save now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back????????❤️ https://t.co/pQER7HDVi7"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

Rahaf Mohommed communicated on another site:

"Hey I'm Rahaf. My father just arrived as I heard witch worried and scared me a lot  and I want to go to another country that I seek asylum in
But at least I feel save now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back????????❤️https://t.co/pQER7HDVi7"

Go girl go !

You're a brave one.

• Like 1

I suspect there are other political dynamics at play and this woman has become an unfortunate pawn in the middle of them. Thai-Saudi relations have been chilly since the Blue Diamond Affair in the 1980s (look it up) which resulted in the expulsion of 100s of thousands of Thai workers from Saudi. If Thailand cooperates with Saudi on this, I can imagine that they are negotiating for (or hoping for) a return to the good old days when Saudi was the number one employer of overseas Thai workers. Or perhaps I'm being too conspiratorial.

On another note, Wikipedia (yes, I know) makes the following claim, but without citation: "Traveling to Thailand from Saudi Arabia requires an official business visit by the government. Personal business visits have to be authorized by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Tourism is not permitted to Thailand and violating the law by traveling to Thailand is taken seriously. Violators may be subject to investigation leading to a fine or a jail sentence." 

15 minutes ago, Docno said:

On another note, Wikipedia (yes, I know) makes the following claim, but without citation: "Traveling to Thailand from Saudi Arabia requires an official business visit by the government. Personal business visits have to be authorized by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Tourism is not permitted to Thailand and violating the law by traveling to Thailand is taken seriously. Violators may be subject to investigation leading to a fine or a jail sentence." 

Based on conversations with Saudis I've met, there is a 'prohibition' on Saudi nationals traveling to Thailand simply for tourism but they can get around this fairly easily by claiming any one of a number of exceptions: business, medical, family visits etc. and anyone claiming to be traveling to Thailand for any of these reasons (or coming up with any other reasonable excuse) can quickly and easily get permission.

Good on Thailand for not bowing down and sending this girl back to a death sentence. Unlike the Philippines who forcibly sent Dina Asli Lasoom back in 2017 with the help of Saudi officials She was in the international zone in transit to seek asylum in Australia when her documents where confiscated by Philippine airport authorities, this was apparently at the request from someone important in Saudi. Funnily enough at the same time  Duterte was on a 3 day state visit to Saudi and did nothing. Nothing has been heard from the woman since her forced return. At least Thailand has shown some balls in third case. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Before I start thinking she is a great kid I need to know more.  how many of here have had 18 year-old teen daughters?  Hell if you take their phone away they say that you are abusing them and not giving them their rights.  Mine told me she was going to call the cops because I grounded her for going to a party and getting drunk.  It really pissed her off when I dialed the police and handed her the phone.

If I am 18 years old and running away from my parents then the last thing I am thinking about is stopping for a couple of days in a strange city with no money no contacts and no idea where or what to do.

All this crap about Thai authorities screwing her is crap.  They did what they have always done, no airline ticket onward, no reservation, no one here to vouch for you and no money SORRY NO VISA.

If her story is true and she was going to Australia (frankly no offense Aussies BUT you would not be my first choice I hear the nightlife in Naura IS NOT THAT GREAT) then she would have had an airline ticket.

When she gave her passport to the Thai authorities they would have done what was required.  Let's face it when have you heard of Thai civil servants using initiative.

There is a solution though that makes sense and can be resolved this week.  Aus's immigration staff interview her, send the paperwork back to home and make a decision on whether she meets the criteria and if they will allow her to land in Sydney and take responsibility for her, if they want her to go to Naura or if they simply refuse.

This is not a Thai issue.  If the answer from immigration is NO then giving her 48 hours to get her crap sorted out and for UNHCR the biggest clowns in the world to find a country that will accept her other than here.

Let's face it Mom and dad have probably canceled the credit cards closed theATM and any other means of financing she had.

Just do not tell me that she is a martyr.

Sorry you got so viciously bashed by emotions on this board, but you are right, the girl has been playing the victim in what is a poorly thought out plan (as is typical for an 18 year old).

The media has lost all logic/reason about a decade ago and are as usual leaping from one sensation or perceived sensation to another.

-Can the ABC (Oz's version of CNN/NBC/WaPo) confirm that she has a visa to Oz?  Last I heard Oz were just handing these out to 3rd worlders like candy, specially if they are 18.

-How did that Saudi official happen to be airside, seek her out and trick her into parting with her passport? Another question for the illustrious msm to investigate.

MSM saw a story with these 4 words 

female

eighteen

saudi

moslem

and bam!

You have a story.

She is not a common citizen, I have seen the entire vidéos she did months ago. She lived in a palace, and her father said she is the ruler (?) of Dubai. One of her sisters during her holiday years ago stayed in London refusing to come back, she was kidnapped two months later by her father's men, sent to France in a helicopter and back to Dubai in a private jet. So it seems she is the daughter of a very powerful man.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, RichardColeman said:

Oh, come one, since when have Muslims ever persecuted and killed anybody that did not believe in Islam ? 

Your kidding right???  Not anything to joke about, unless you haven't lived in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, or Yemen.

14 hours ago, pegman said:

Mr. Big Joke being quoted as saying this young Saudi woman will not be sent anywhere against her will. This is looking a lot more promising. Well done all that raised their voices in protest to the treatment she had been receiving.

Big Joke should order the Saudi Official that seized he passport to return it so she can travel.............but Thailand has been kneeling before the Saudi's for a looooong time, so I don;t see that happening.

23 hours ago, thurien said:

do you want to hint at the chance that Saudi and other world-wide moslems will avoid Thailand then? a surely intriguing thought to the Thai people, visitors and residents in TH

No I am not saying Saudi and Muslims would stop visiting Thailand but other countries like US, EU , Britain might. I would tell friend who visit me every year her to for get coming to Thailand and we could meet in Viet-Nam or Cambodia for a change. Also other free world countries might go somewhere else as well.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, RickBradford said:

but this was withdrawn over protests that she was "Islamophobic".

This is a side bar but in response to misdirection to an off topic comparison:

According to Brandeis University:

"She is a compelling public figure and advocate for women's rights, and we respect and appreciate her work to protect and defend the rights of women and girls throughout the world,"

"That said, we cannot overlook certain of her past statements that are inconsistent with Brandeis University's core values."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali who had renounced the Islamic religion: "Once it's defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It's very difficult to even talk about peace now. They're not interested in peace. I think that we are at war with Islam."

It was Ayaan Hirsi Ali herself being Islamophobic.

However, Brandis said, "Ali is welcome to join us on campus in the future to engage in a dialogue about these important issues," - freedom of speech will prevail

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/09/brandeis-withdraws-honorary-degree-ayaan-hirsi-ali-college

18 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Big Joke should order the Saudi Official that seized he passport to return it so she can travel.............but Thailand has been kneeling before the Saudi's for a looooong time, so I don;t see that happening.

most countries say that passports belong to the government - but I am sure other countries could issue her with an emergency travel doc.

&, kudos to the German ambassador for stepping in & preventing her forced repatriation (to the best of my knowledge)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Well it did happen. She got her passport back. Also Saudi Arabia and Thailand have been on the outs for a long time. Therefore you are wrong on both counts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pegman said:

Well it did happen. She got her passport back. Also Saudi Arabia and Thailand have been on the outs for a long time. Therefore you are wrong on both counts.

You mean they on the outs with th Saudi's because of the stolen crown jewels, by the Thai houseman??, brought to Thailand and now have they seem to have disappeared in BIB custody??  That may sting the Saudi's for about half a day, but they make more in interest in one day that what those were valued............yes, she got her passport back a few hours after my post, so guess I was wrong on one count, not the other.  I wish her luck, but can see a headline down the road  "Saudi influential family Brother arrested in Sydney over Honor Killing his sister - declares Diplomatic Immunity." 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali who had renounced the Islamic religion: "Once it's defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It's very difficult to even talk about peace now. They're not interested in peace. I think that we are at war with Islam."

It was Ayaan Hirsi Ali herself being Islamophobic.

Exactly. Expressing an informed opinion is now "Islamophobic".

It makes you wonder what the "core values" of that university are.....

BBC News just reported that the UNHCR, after invesitgating her case, has declared her a bona fide refugee with legitimate fear of persecution .

Australia had previosuly said it would consider giving her asylum if UN made a favorable determination on her refugee status. Now they have.

BTW those who doubt she would be in real danger if she returned to Saudi should have seen her  twitter feed yesterday, it was  clogged full of entries in Arabic (From Saudi Arabia and other gulf countries) demanding she be hanged or stoned, calling her a whore, saying she is an instrument of Satan  etc. Virtually obscured all other posts. Fortunately twitter has taken down the worst of them for now.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Tchooptip said:

She is not a common citizen, I have seen the entire vidéos she did months ago. She lived in a palace, and her father said she is the ruler (?) of Dubai. One of her sisters during her holiday years ago stayed in London refusing to come back, she was kidnapped two months later by her father's men, sent to France in a helicopter and back to Dubai in a private jet. So it seems she is the daughter of a very powerful man.

Different person, similar situation the lady you are talking about Latifa is quite a bit older, in her 30’s I think.

12 hours ago, BigA said:

Different person, similar situation the lady you are talking about Latifa is quite a bit older, in her 30’s I think.

Yes, I think you are right because after seeing the full video I did not understand how possibly she was only 18?      So at first, I thought it was a mistake, but if not, it is not the same woman, but true, its an absolutely similar situation.  

13 hours ago, BigA said:

I found the video again. Yes it was Latifa al Maktoum the daughter of the Dubai Crown Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, this man a billionaire has six wives and... thirty children.