CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

On 1/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

I have been told by all reliable sources including the US Embassy and officials from Chaeng Watthana that  everyone will get a 6 month window as you were told. I processed my visa at Chaeng Watthana In December, got my affidavit in November. So you should be fine. If in doubt, call them. 

Jonathan, I apologize for the late reply. I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your comment to assuage and allay my fears regarding whether the US Embassy Income Affidavit I procured on 30 November 2018 will be accepted by Thai Immigration when I renew my Retirement Visa in late March 2019. It appears from your sources that the they will honor this document within the 6 month window. This is precisely what makes this forum great - members helping other members - and I don't take it for granted. Again, thank you. Have a GREAT weekend. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Ha ha ha you couldn't even get the US Embassy to respond to your multiple emails

JL-  not true- they responded to each of my emails except one in which I stated no need to respond.  I have visited them in person and spoke to the Vice Consul about using the blank affidavit . She correctly informed me she didn't believe  Thai Imm will  accept it.  Only way to find out is to ask .

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

JL-  not true- they responded to each of my emails except one in which I stated no need to respond.  I have visited them in person and spoke to the Vice Consul about using the blank affidavit . She correctly informed me she didn't believe  Thai Imm will  accept it.  Only way to find out is to ask .

OK I remember your using the word "rebuffed" but I'll withdraw. However, that is only the US Embassy saying that Thai IMM won't accept the blank affidavit for extension purposes. Why should you be satisfied with that as per I was chided on another topic yesterday?

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Well written, especially the part about not being in Thailand all the time.  Making somebody make constant deposits has also of negative points many of which you mentioned. 

Why make it so hard?  Don't do it when just a single deposit of 800K in a bank 3 months will do.  You can even cart in the baht yourself without any foreign bank transfer.  For those who are in staying just 7 months in a year, a tourist visa would make more sense. 

28 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

OK I remember your using the word "rebuffed" but I'll withdraw. However, that is only the US Embassy saying that Thai IMM won't accept the blank affidavit for extension purposes. Why should you be satisfied with that as per I was chided on another topic yesterday?

Not satisfied at all- If i can get the US Embassy to simply sign a blank affidavit on which I state my income- I will then ask Thai Imm if they accept it or simply just present it and see what happens. If I do this- I will already have done the transfers or money in the bank just in case.

I did use the word rebuffed as I had asked the US Embassy to go to Thai Imm and ask them to extend the letter validity- for 1 year in order to give everyone a 1 year leeway to make changes- They (Embassy) said no can do or words to that affect.

As the song says- "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble".

Not satisfied at all- If i can get the US Embassy to simply sign a blank affidavit on which I state my income- I will then ask Thai Imm if they accept it or simply just present it and see what happens. If I do this- I will already have done the transfers or money in the bank just in case.

I did use the word rebuffed as I had asked the US Embassy to go to Thai Imm and ask them to extend the letter validity- for 1 year in order to give everyone a 1 year leeway to make changes- They (Embassy) said no can do or words to that affect.
As the song says- "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble".

There is a list on the embassy’s website of what they will and will not sign.

Good luck

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:
2 hours ago, luckyluke said:
According to Wikipedia there are 79 embassies in Bangkok.
Only 4 are not issuing income letters anymore.

Wikipedia lists all the embassies and states which embassies do and do not provide income letters? I think not.

What's your point??

He didn't say that the 79 provide letters, but a lot of them do it, and only 4 don't.

BTW: could you please use the standard font rather than you tiny font hard to read? :mellow:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Not satisfied at all- If i can get the US Embassy to simply sign a blank affidavit on which I state my income- I will then ask Thai Imm if they accept it

Well as the guy who drafted a sample document yesterday called it, it's a Hail Mary. The new regs say at 2.22 Procedures(2)

"Income certification certified by the embassy or consulate."

I don't see how the blank affidavit with the disclaimer "The U. S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement ..." is the US Embassy certifying anything in fact they are saying that they do not certify it but I do remember (the late) Dwight Clark's '49er "The Catch".

1 hour ago, farangx said:

Why make it so hard?  Don't do it when just a single deposit of 800K in a bank 3 months will do.  You can even cart in the baht yourself without any foreign bank transfer.  For those who are in staying just 7 months in a year, a tourist visa would make more sense. 

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I could get a single entry visa valid for 60 days and extend by 30 days. Then I believe would need to leave the country to get another. Or the Multiple entry but would need to leave twice in 7 months? Im now considering 2 options. Agent or Non OA valid for 2 years. With Non OA favourite at the moment. In 2020 bye bye to retirement extension based on retirement. For me its not doable any more as I prefer to keep my money/company pension in the UK and bring in cash when I need it.

8 minutes ago, jimn said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I could get a single entry visa valid for 60 days and extend by 30 days. Then I believe would need to leave the country to get another. Or the Multiple entry but would need to leave twice in 7 months? Im now considering 2 options. Agent or Non OA valid for 2 years. With Non OA favourite at the moment. In 2020 bye bye to retirement extension based on retirement. For me its not doable any more as I prefer to keep my money/company pension in the UK and bring in cash when I need it.

For a 7 month stay, you could get away with one single Entry Tourist visa (extended) followed by 2 visa exempts, both extended.  These VE's could be made at any suitable land border, and if you wanted to stay longer you could always do an international flight to somewhere local.

Probably a similar cost overall to the OA (or the ME TV),  but no need for any proof of financials, and also competitive with the agent route (if you're OK with that).

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

For a 7 month stay, you could get away with one single Entry Tourist visa (extended) followed by 2 visa exempts, both extended.  These VE's could be made at any suitable land border, and if you wanted to stay longer you could always do an international flight to somewhere local.

Probably a similar cost overall to the OA (or the ME TV),  but no need for any proof of financials, and also competitive with the agent route (if you're OK with that).

I would not recommend trying to stay 7 mo/yr on Tourist entries, unless using law-abiding land-borders (all but Poipet/Aranya) to enter Thailand - exclusively.  

Even after the 5-mo out, some IO making up their own rules at a Bangkok airport could make problems upon return, based on saying the previous year's stay was "too long" - then stamp your passport as not having money (even if you are rich).  This has low odds, based on current reports, but snowbirds have reported this there.  It might get better or worse in coming years, but the trend is progressively worse.

20 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I have now done NOV18 DEC18 and JAN19 65k+ baht SWIFT transfers that each shows FTT in the Bangkok Bank passbook. The IMM folks may say:

"If that Crab guy can do it, why can't you?" 

That's because the "Crab" guy was smart and was proactive, while us dumb "lobsters" waited until they officially told us we must transfer from outside the US.

Seriously, I hope that since this rule was just made that they allow some leeway to those that have just started to do this and let you start the first quarter of this year.

I am also sure there are many people who don't follow TV and have no clue about the new rule and will really have issues at renewal time. Don't think if you plead ignorance of the law will help.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, racyrick said:

That's because the "Crab" guy was smart and was proactive, while us dumb "lobsters" waited until they officially told us we must transfer from outside the US.

That's because I saw this on the UK Embassy - Bangkok website and after the 26 OCT announcement from the US Embassy I made the first trans early NOV 2018.

UK Stop1.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's because I saw this on the UK Embassy - Bangkok website and after the 26 OCT announcement from the US Embassy I made the first trans early NOV 2018.

UK Stop1.png

For goodness sake put the trumpet away. We get the picture. 

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 2:24 PM, farangx said:

The Embassy then will have to liaise with the tax department and/or other government departments and/or private institutions etc. to address your particular needs.  Perhaps it would be nice for the Embassy for offer a paid service for their such liaisons with fees charged depending on complexities.

??? it will never happen???

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Sorry but not been following this thread, but are Thai Immigration still honouring the letter of income from the embassies, my case British.

You absolutely must be the only Anglophone NOT following this thread!!!! ????

This thread must be setting a new ThaiVisa record for most posts in elapsed time if not the all-time winner!!  1046 posts since last Monday afternoon.  Astonishing!!

You absolutely must be the only Anglophone NOT following this thread!!!! ????

This thread must be setting a new ThaiVisa record for most posts in elapsed time if not the all-time winner!!  1046 posts since last Monday afternoon.  Astonishing!!

No, any duel pricing thread would likely top it...

23 hours ago, BigStar said:

NOT in the paragraph I quoted that claimed "FULLY" complying--w/o mention of the letter. The HONESTLY appears to have evoked some disagreement as to interpretation. Did you HONESTLY sign an affidavit and HONESTLY present it to TI? Oh, yes. ???? And some can still do so. For the others, it's water under the bridge now.

And the context of that little discussion was for retirement extensions. ???? Yawn.

The Combo method:-Somewhere in the details, the combo method is available for new applicants for a retirement visa in Thailand.  New applicants need to be able to prove that they have a certain pension which adds up to part of the Bt800,000 to qualify that you to have the required balance,  this must show so that it adds up to Bt800,000. per year.   

The Australian Aged Pensioners (AAP) are well placed to take advantage of this method.  The AAP when living in Thailand after 6 weeks is Aus $1716 or about Bt39,500 every 4 weeks.  It is paid 13 times in a year to any nominated bank a/c in the world from the Aus government and at the expense of the Aus Gov to any bank a/c you have in Thailand.  This is irrefutable evidence that you have received Bt500,000 of the required amount in a Thai Bank a/c as part of the required $800,000 in a single year.  You still need only Bt300,000 somehow for 2 months in a Thai Bank a/c for your 1st application to qualify.  This you can beg steal or borrow to bring your income for the year to the required Bt800,000...This method "The Combo" method has recently been confirmed by Thai Immigration and also discussed on FM103 in an interview with US Consul in Thailand (presently 2 IC at US Embassy in Thailand) and has been reaffirmed that it is available to anyone seeking a retirement visa in Thailand.  I also understand this method is available at Thailand Embassies in other countries.

When I applied and received my retirement visa in Australia some time ago I asked the Embassy lady about this Combo option (which I did not need).  Her answer "was we need you to be able to prove you have enough income to live well in Thailand during the visa period"  she implied the Combo requirements have not changed and has since been reaffirmed it is available.   Not quite sure by whom yet.  It should all come out in time, "I think".   TIT.

The Combo method:-Somewhere in the details, the combo method is available for new applicants for a retirement visa in Thailand.  New applicants need to be able to prove that they have a certain pension which adds up to part of the Bt800,000 to qualify that you to have the required balance,  this must show so that it adds up to Bt800,000. per year.   

For new applications it doesn't have to add up to 800k for combo method, they gave an example in the confirmed doc

I currently have my company pension paid into a UK bank account every month.  I then use Transferwise to transfer some of that money direct into my Thai bank account with Kasikorn. Presumably this method will no long work for the income method.  I could of course arrange transfer direct to my Thai bank account for my pension, but then I would suffer from the poorer exchange rates offered by Kasikorn, when compared to Transferwise.  Would a solution be to open a foreign currency account here in £ sterling and then use Transferwise to convert £ into Baht when the exchange rate is favourable?  Thank you for your replies.

7 minutes ago, khm2412 said:

I currently have my company pension paid into a UK bank account every month.  I then use Transferwise to transfer some of that money direct into my Thai bank account with Kasikorn. Presumably this method will no long work for the income method.  I could of course arrange transfer direct to my Thai bank account for my pension, but then I would suffer from the poorer exchange rates offered by Kasikorn, when compared to Transferwise.  Would a solution be to open a foreign currency account here in £ sterling and then use Transferwise to convert £ into Baht when the exchange rate is favourable?  Thank you for your replies.

Check out the other ongoing thread specifically about Kasikorn as it appears there may be some light at the end of the tunnel there.

Re. a FCD account, I understand that there is a cost to bring in GBP, and then Transferwise wouldn't be available to you from there, so you'd still be at the mercy of the Thai banks poor Fx rate. 

Edited by steve73
link added

29 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Check out the other ongoing thread specifically about Kasikorn as it appears there may be some light at the end of the tunnel there.

I can only say that that is one crazy thread where Transferwise said that the money is not transferred from overseas but the people there are wrapping their heads around it that it is.  Please tell me I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, farangx said:

I can only say that that is one crazy thread where Transferwise said that the money is not transferred from overseas but the people there are wrapping their heads around it that it is.  Please tell me I am wrong.

What’s crazy about it?

People who bank with Kasikorn and send money Internationally via TW are attempting to find a way forward as to show proof to TI in the future. 

People are going out on a limb to discuss with Kasikorn to help themselves and others and you think that’s crazy?

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:
3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

UK Stop1.png

For goodness sake put the trumpet away. We get the picture. 

Thank you.  I was just noting that the UK Embassy-Bangkok seemed to be heads up on this one with the above graphic on their website 8 OCT 2018 almost 3 weeks before the Yanks got around to it.

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:
1 hour ago, farangx said:

What’s crazy about it?

People who bank with Kasikorn and send money Internationally via TW are attempting to find a way forward as to show proof to TI in the future. 

People are going out on a limb to discuss with Kasikorn to help themselves and others and you think that’s crazy?

I did no ask if it was crazy.  I asked if I am wrong.

Edited by farangx