Govt dept the DLT dept land transport

We moved from one province to another. Subsequently I had to go through the 'process' of changing the address on the registration book of my bike and getting new plates. I think Ive had to visit (return to) the DLT at least 8 times in 1 month. The workers there are the most stupid people I have ever come across. Their modus operandi / procedures are so illogical. Back home it would take 1 or maybe 2 visits to get the job done. But this is amazing thailand. 

An example is yesterday... I took the form to one desk (again) and paid money (again). Then the officer said come back after 2pm. So I do that and then another officer (maybe manager) said I need to bring extra docs. Why didn't the officer tell me 6 visits ago about this. ie tell me ALL the docs that are required. Its a joke

No wonder the average thai driver is shockingly bad. With the DLT in charge Im not surprised at all. 

After so many years in Thailand i have learned NOT to ask why, why did you come late, why didn't you say anything, why are you doing in this way aetc. etc.... no rhyme or reasons for most things happening here, go with the flow and learn to live with it...

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

We moved from one province to another.

changing the address on the registration book of my bike and getting new plates

You say we so I guess one of you is Thai so take them along with you.

I have filled forms for 3 vehicles at our DLT for change of address in registration book and get new plates easy process with Mrs along.

2 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

I had to go through the 'process' of changing the address on the registration book of my bike and getting new plates.

There was no need to do this, so you could have saved yourself all the troubles.

2 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

tell me ALL the docs that are required

You need to bring:

- Your passport

- Certificate of residence

- Green book for the motorbike

- Motorbike

And you have to complete a form which you can get at the DLT

You have to go to the DLT two times, because they have to send a letter to the other DLT before they can change it.

Actually not too difficult, but also not necessary

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I have filled forms for 3 vehicles at our DLT for change of address in registration book and get new plates easy process with Mrs along.

I've done it alone and still very easy.

1 visit to submit the documents, pay and get plates.

1 visit to collect the registration book.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You say we so I guess one of you is Thai so take them along with you.

I strongly suspect that, for many of us Brit retirees, the IPC back home are way ahead of the DLT for the award referred to in the OP!

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

There was no need to do this, so you could have saved yourself all the troubles.

Still so many disbelievers.

Some three years ago I tried to convince a mate from Germany to no avail that there is no need to get "Bangkok plates" after buying a bike from somewhere.

I lost the "tax decal" for my Harley recently (got burnt in a fire). 

Tried going to the local "Inspection" place to see if they could simply print a new one (as they had done the previous one).
Nope, can't do it.

OK, how about just doing a new inspection and I'll pay the tax and insurance again ?
Nope, can't do it.

I'm told I need a police report and then have to go to the Land Transport office to request a replacement decal.

Got the police report, went to the office on Highway 36, the lady started to fill out a form and then said "sorry - can't do it".

Why ? Because apparently the bike was "registered" in Bangkok (probably when it was imported) so she said I have to go to a Land Transport office in Bangkok, to request a replacement tax decal, that had been issued 3 months earlier in Pattaya (just like the previous 8 years since I owned the bike).

Then she tells me my other option is to wait until 3 months before my current "year" expires, then go do a new Inspection and pay for a new decal and insurance.

But they can't just print a new copy of the decal I've already paid for. Or cancel it and let me do it over again. Or do the paperwork and send it to Bangkok. 

(They didn't suggest anything about transferring the registration to Pattaya and I probably want to keep my "888" plate anyways despite it not being anywhere near as lucky as people seem to think it is.)

(My neighbour is an RTP traffic cop. He told me that I didn't need to get a replacement decal as long as I had a copy of the police report and a copy of the green book showing that I'd paid the tax and insurance. Got copies on the bike - we'll see how that goes if I get stopped between now and when the tax is due again).

On 1/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, ezzra said:

After so many years in Thailand i have learned NOT to ask why, why did you come late, why didn't you say anything, why are you doing in this way aetc. etc.... no rhyme or reasons for most things happening here, go with the flow and learn to live with it...

You wrote many posts, not far from ten thousand, this very one is probably the cleverest :biggrin:

(It does not imply others were not):wink:

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

recently (got burnt in a fire). 

Lost and burnt in a fire...  don’t know what the decal is? Only

have the registration paper. 

Someone borrowed for for an extended time the registration paper

on two of the motos one nicely removed and the other tore off.

was told if I said it was stolen would have to go make a police report.

guess we should think of the multiple visits as giving us something to do.

How right you are. When I went to renew my five year driving license, I was told "No can do", you are not in the system, yet I got my licence legally at a Land Transport department.

I just decided to get a bigger motorbike for long distance traveling, now no more traffic jams to hold me up.

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'm told I need a police report and then have to go to the Land Transport office to request a replacement decal. 

Probably depends on the province, in Bangkok and Udon Thani i didn't need a police report, just complete a form at the DLT

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Why ? Because apparently the bike was "registered" in Bangkok (probably when it was imported) so she said I have to go to a Land Transport office in Bangkok, to request a replacement tax decal, that had been issued 3 months earlier in Pattaya (just like the previous 8 years since I owned the bike).

This is probably an official rule. Experienced the same when i tried to get a replacement in Chiang Rai after it got lost.

Recently I bought a bike from Bangkok and as I live in Chon Buri I had to changes provinces also. So off I go to Pattaya LTO 'no can do, go to Chon Buri LTO'. Ok no probs and of I go. 

After the Approximately 1 hour I arrive at Chon Buri and hand over my paperwork and there is a small problem (I don't remember exactly what it was) so off I go back an hour to Pattaya.

5 days later I return with the paperwork required and I have to take the bike down to the inspection station. 'sorry sir, pipe too loud'. Ok no prob I have the stock pipe at my condo. Off I go fore the hour return ride home again; 2 trips

About a week or so later I return, stock pipe, they do the test and everyone is smiles. I'm told to go upstairs and pay the tax and get my new plate. Sit around scratching my ass for about an hour and its my turn to get sorted. The lovely lady behind the counter checks my paperwork 3 times when suddenly she says "residence certificate no good' HUH?! 'date finish'...... sigh.... 'Go Sriracha they can do'. Luckily I carry all my paperwork with me when dealing with government offices (lease contract.. passport etc) so off I go to Sriracha 45mins away; Trip 3

Of course when I arrive at Sriracha Immi its lunchtime so another hour spent picking my nose, scratching my nuts and silently laughing at myself. 1300 doors open and I ask the lovely lady at the desk to provide me with a Res Cert. 'no can. go Chon Buri Immi Jomtien' Double sigh....

As I had left all my other paperwork at Immi I knew that I'd have to produce something for Immi to give them a reason fopr providing me a Res Cert on a tourist visa of I pop back to CB LTO 45mins up the road; Trip 4

A day or so later I go into Chon Buri Immi and ask for a Res Cert for purpose of buying a motorcycle. ' we need sell contract' I don't have because its a private internet sale. 'we need 1. copy ID card seller signed. 2. copy Tabian Baan seller signed 3. copy green book signed 4. all my paperwork'

Luckily I had original copies of everything so another hour and I was on my way, Res Cert in hand.

2 days later I return to CB LTO paperwork in hand and everything passes muster. Remove the BKK plate from my bike, sit around for another 1.5 hours picking my nose and squeezing pimples and I'm finally presented with my spanking new tax slip and a new plate; Trip 5

So overall around 4 weeks, 12 hours on the road and countless hours at the LTO and Immi and all is good in the world. as a bonus the lady at the LTO gave me her direct number saying if I have any questions or plan on doing thius again call her first so she can assist and get me passed all the rubbish I had to go through this time around lol

Amazing Thailand

file-1.jpeg

I bought a motorbike in Chiang Mai and had to change it into my name and get Nakhon Ratchasima plates.  I had no problems and found the staff at Korat DLT very helpful.  I was a little amused when I saw the sign saying 'One Stop Service' - I visited various counters and had to return 3 days later to collect my plates but hey, its their country, they can do things however they see fit.

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

[...] Amazing Thailand

What would have happened in your home country if you first go to the wrong place, then show up with incomplete paperwork, then with a bike that's not road legal, and then one more time with incomplete paperwork?

Whole heartedly agree and really sympathize with the OP.  The administration departments in pretty much all Thai government agency are crap.  Most problems could be solved with a little bit of thinking, but either they can't or are not allowed to do so.  I had a moron at immigration try to tell me the soi number had to be put on my form.  I politely told this old bag in a military uniform that my soi had no number (and of course, my street had TWO names because of how <deleted> stupid the road systems are here).  I said, "Just put in a 2, then."  But she had none of it. I said that I'd been coming here for 9 months and no one has ever complained about not having a number in the 'soi number' line.  She did begrudgingly stamp my passport but said to never come to their department again; "go Chaeng Wattana."

Archived